Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer replaced my malfunctioning Shaker 500/Nav unit yesterday and guess what...the replacement has a bug in the nav. unit. After waiting 2 hrs. I was not a happy camper. Dealer will fix today, but to ease my pain and suffering they gave me a brand new (7 miles) 2010 GT 6 spd convertible as a loaner. Kona Blue & Charcoal int.

Scruffy's road test: Bottom line first. If you're afraid you may catch a case of 2010 envy...fear not and be thankful for what you have.

Exterior: subjective as always, but I appreciate the exterior front and side views. Sort of a natural freshening of the '05-'09 much like the ''67-'68 to the '69-'70. Slightly larger and more modern. Could be a good or bad thing depending on your preference. Both are cool. Azz end is a different story. The up-turned rounded rear and black plastic diffuser don't work as cleanly as the rest of the car. Nuff said.

Interior: What is all the magazine talk about "much improved"?? Basically took the recognizable Mustang interior and updated it to look more like it belongs in a Lincoln. Elegant would be a good description. My wife really liked it. Great materials and modern lay-out, but would look more at home in an MKZ or Milan than it does in the Mustang. The GT seats are comfortable, but wide, flat and side bolsters are not as supportive as the Bullit's. The steering wheel has adapted the thrumb rests and is stitched leather as is the parkign brake. +1 for the GT interior, but not a game changer. I'll vote for the Bullitt's interior anyday.

The good stuff-driving: Handling in the GT convertible is no where near as precise as the Bullitt or for that matter any coupe. Cowl shake is noticable at most speeds and slight bumps or irregularites exagerate it. Not terrible, but a flexible flyer feeling to be sure. Didn't look to see if there was a shock tower brace, but if there is not, it certainly needs one. Acceleration is good through the gears on take off mainly because of what feels like deeper 1-3 gears to compensate for the 3:55(?)rear end. Overall the "get up and go" doesn't have the same sense of urgency as the Bullit's despite the same 315 HP rating. Could be it's not broken in yet. Shifter feels notchier (again, probably being new) and brakes, clutch etc. feel close to the older cars. The exhasut sounds great as do most V-8 Mustangs, but the beloved growl is higher in pitch than the Bullit's and more subdued. No gurgling on throtle back off
of downshifts. If your used to the Bullitt's feeling of performance on demeand, this car would dissapoint you. That said, a GT coupe with Track-Pac and exhasut change would be a much more worthy comparison to the performance oriented Bullitt IMHO. Bullitt is much more of a drivers car by a mile when compared with the GT convertible.

The GT convertible is a nice car. "Nice" being the operative word, (not letting the wife drive this or there could be 2 Mustangs in the garage). However, I can't wait to get my Bullitt back and thank the dealer for the extended test drive. :cool:

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Bravo/Zulu Scruffy on the recon and brief for the 2010...I suspected a 2010 couldnt out do a Bullitt...you get a big slice of Raisin pie!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey, thanks for the update. BTW, how's that 6th gear? I'd think it'd be great on the highway - one thing I sort of wish we had.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
5656 said:
Hey, thanks for the update. BTW, how's that 6th gear? I'd think it'd be great on the highway - one thing I sort of wish we had.
No 6th gear on the 2010 GT. Shelby GT 500 is the only Mustang for '10 to get it.

2011's are rumored to receive the 6 spd. standard with the 5.0 liter 400 HP "Coyote" engine. This is probably more of a move to avoid the gas guzzler tax than a perfromance item. I did find out the car I had had the 3:31 rear gears. 3:73's would have made a big improvemnt.

I agree a tall 6th overdrive would be nice on the highway, but they are about useless with a smaller engine unless the road is perfectly flat. Even with a larger more powerful engine 6th gear typically needs to be downshifted on slight grades to maintain speeds which increase fuel consumption. In my Vette I used to get better gas milage in 5th unless I was hauling azz at 85+ and the road was perfectly flat.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Thanks!

Very helpful information! Thanks!

Somehow I knew the '10 GT couldn't beat the Bullitt, even as Ford kept saying they took everything they learned from the 08/09 Bullitt and put it into the GT.

Guess that's not quite the case! (3.31 rear gears???) :rolleyes: :badgrin:

:cool:

Steve

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
yeah, take one with the trac pak and be a even match then.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
I like the 2010 as long as it had the Supercharger and ALL the Performance Options to go with it.

Oh and the right Color Combination of course .......

tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Color Combinations

tigerhonaker said:
I like the 2010 as long as it had the Supercharger and ALL the Performance Options to go with it.

Oh and the right Color Combination of course .......

tigerhonaker
Terry,

To your "Color Combination" point...

I just checked the Ford Mustang site... and the 2010 does NOT come in Green!

I suspect they had the Bullitt in mind when they made that decision! ;)

(Good idea, Ford! :exclaim: )

Steve

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
SteveNYC said:
Terry,

To your "Color Combination" point...

I just checked the Ford Mustang site... and the 2010 does NOT come in Green!

I suspect they had the Bullitt in mind when they made that decision! ;)

(Good idea, Ford! :exclaim: )

Steve
Plus 1 :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

tigerhonaker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts