Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a music nut so my next mod will be getting the Brandmotion Ipod direct connect. Ordered yesterday so should be installing within the week.

http://brandmotion.com/ipod.php

I guess a lot of installs but the Ipod dock into the glove box. I'm thinking it might be better in the center console storage box. According to the tech at Brandmotion there is enough cable to put it in either location. I'm looking for feedback and where the better location might be.

Darcy

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Looking at the diagrams of the interior I would think you could get it in the center console pretty easily. Remove the rear seat and the center console. You could run the wire under the seat or under the upper edge of the carpet and mount the adapter box under the seat, run the IPod cable into the console from underneath then put the holder on the wall of the compartment. Without actually doing it I'm not sure of the clearances of if this would work but that is what I would try first. I think having the IPod dock in the console would be better than in the glove box.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I don't know if it's the same make as the one Ford offers as an accessory but the Ford version can be either glove box or console mounted. I think if you order from factory with the car it is console mounted.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RCSignals said:
I don't know if it's the same make as the one Ford offers as an accessory but the Ford version can be either glove box or console mounted. I think if you order from factory with the car it is console mounted.
the Ford one doesn't work with a navigation system so that's why I am going this route. This one works with satellite connection.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really enjoy the Ford version and hope you get the utility out of your aftermarket. Mine plays through the stereo and I can see whay folder I am in and the name of the song in the folder that is being played.

I love it!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
darcyb62 said:
I'm a music nut so my next mod will be getting the Brandmotion Ipod direct connect. Ordered yesterday so should be installing within the week.

http://brandmotion.com/ipod.php

I guess a lot of installs but the Ipod dock into the glove box. I'm thinking it might be better in the center console storage box. According to the tech at Brandmotion there is enough cable to put it in either location. I'm looking for feedback and where the better location might be.

Darcy
I have a Pioneer AVIC-Z3 system that runs the IPOD from the screen. Since it is just a plug-in and play from the screen, I left it in the glove box. I rarely have passengers, so I am more likely to use the console for storage while I am driving.

·
Registered
211 Posts
darcyb62 said:
the Ford one doesn't work with a navigation system so that's why I am going this route. This one works with satellite connection.
Looks like you're going to have to run the cable from the satellite reciever way back on the passenger side trunk wall. FUN FUN FUN! I'm thinking about just getting another iPod...maybe used or a little older and loading it up with all my songs and just hooking it up back there and leaving it in the trunk. Only pulling it out to update it once in a while.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
The IPOD connection was installed in the console box. I have a Ford navigation system and my Ipod works just fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
LeadFoot said:
Looks like you're going to have to run the cable from the satellite reciever way back on the passenger side trunk wall. FUN FUN FUN! I'm thinking about just getting another iPod...maybe used or a little older and loading it up with all my songs and just hooking it up back there and leaving it in the trunk. Only pulling it out to update it once in a while.

sounds like a good idea for a quick install, however with this system you have to unplug your ipod to listen to satellite radio. this may still be the route i go when the free 6 month subscription runs out... but kind of a pain if you intend to keep the sat.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
i have an ipod connection in the console, and no nav system. i thought all bullitts came with and ipod connection in the console. is this not true??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
That's just a "line in" - not the CANBus connection that allows you to control the iPod with the radio buttons.

·
Registered
483 Posts
darcyb62 said:
Darcy,

Good find. Fiddling around with an iPod in-hand while driving isn't good. Just too many toys now days. The line-in jack in our center console is convenient, but really doesn't deliver the best audio. When you order for a Mustang with satellite, does Brandmotion include the required "satellite long harness" to reach from the sat receiver in the trunk? Or do they want to sell it to you separately? Enjoy and keep us posted on your direct connect.

Thanks, chip

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's all included.

to keep quick access to the ipod i actually double taped it to the back of the center console. The brandmotion unit is tucked under the rear seat near the seat belt unit. The one thing i don't like about the unit (and i think its typical of all units like this) is that it's time consuming to get at specific albums. it's a lot easier to go direct to the ipod and use the scroll wheel an pop it back in. i've alos got a lot smarter with playlists to group together specific material.

in spite o this minor issue it's well worth it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
darcyb62 said:
It's all included.

to keep quick access to the ipod i actually double taped it to the back of the center console. The brandmotion unit is tucked under the rear seat near the seat belt unit. The one thing i don't like about the unit (and i think its typical of all units like this) is that it's time consuming to get at specific albums. it's a lot easier to go direct to the ipod and use the scroll wheel an pop it back in. i've alos got a lot smarter with playlists to group together specific material.

in spite o this minor issue it's well worth it.
Yeah, with my wife's help, I've learned to use playlists too:wink: . I like your idea of mounting the pod in the center console. But one last question. The suggested path for routing the long harness is from the sat receiver in the trunk, along the passenger door sill, and up to the glove box. Which way did you go with the cable harness to end up in the center console and still keep wiring out of sight? Thanks again for your feedback.

chip

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i didn't mount it in the console. that was my initial plan but before I cut holes in the console to route the cable I thought I would find a temporary spot around the center console and if I liked the location then I would mount permanently in the console. The temporary location is on the outside rear of the console (i.e. facing the back seat). Cable routing was extremely easy here going underneath the rear seat. The dock is mounted where the seat and console meet. If I decide to put this in the console it's just a matter of lifting the console and cutting a hole in the bottom of the inner tray to slide the cable through. A lot easier munting here than having to route the cable to the glove box.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I use the standard input jack in the console and I put piece of Velcro on the back of my Ipod Nano and I took a spray paint can plastic cover, stuck the hook part of the Velcro to the top and black felt around the sides and it fits snuggly in the front cup holder. I select the play list I want, start the IPod and place it on the Velcro. While driving I can easily advance or replay songs without looking at the IPod and the wife can pick it up and make more changes if needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.