Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a MGW shifter on my car for about 6,000 miles now and it did great, but I miss the smoothness of the stocker and will be reinstalling the stocker. The MGW is precise and fast, but really notchy. Anybody have similar complaints? Anyways, if anyone is interested at trying out the MGW shifter for not that much, let me know as I'll be putting my stock shifter back in as soon as the garage opens up for such a project (pretty soon). :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Wow, first I've heard of anyone uninstalling the MGW.

I seem to remember reading an article about the B&M being especially smooth?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If I had the spare cash right now, I'd take you up on it Korey.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Curious, how many turns out are you running the MGW at? And how high do you have the shift handle set? Personally, before I went back to stock, I would set the MGW to maximum throw length via the adjustable pivot point below the car, make sure the shift handle is set to a nice height, then compare.....

In my 05, I have the MGW set to the shortest throw possible, and it is not that notchy. Firm, positive shifts, but not too notchy. Granted, not as mushy as the stock Bullitt shifter, but, I don't care for that anyway......

JMO,
Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just got back from having my Hurst billet short throw shifter installed. Was a x-mas present from my lovely wife.
All I can say is WOW!!!!!. What a difference in the two. The factory shifter was nice and tight for factory but man there is a big difference in these two.
I thrashed the car hard taking it home and it was alotta fun!!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I went "OLD SCHOOL" with the Hurst "T" shifter. Just like the good ole days!!!
Have the white ball in the box yet just in case I want to change.
I also installed the sequential turn singal lights.
Pretty COOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Another vote for the stock shifter. I really wanted the Hurst/FRPP shifter until I drove a friend's 2008 Shelby GT. For me the throws were much too short and notchy for street use, and it was noisy. I think it would have been great for the drag strip, but once my stock shifter "broke in", it feels great to me and works fine. But most guys who have switched to Hursts, MGW's and the rest seem to love them. Maybe it's just me.

The MGW seems like the best engineered of the aftermarket shifters, and I am surprised that it didn't work out for you. I guess some of us like "notchy", and some of us don't!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
DAMN! I need to find someone local with the MGW!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
jymontoya said:
DAMN! I need to find someone local with the MGW!
i too really want to try an mgw in a s197 before i buy one. i've driven an 03 gt and a c5zo6 with mgw shifters and both were really nice.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, sorry I haven't come back on a price yet, I want to remove it and make sure of its condition first. :) I thought the stock shifter was really nice.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, I'll be sending out pms in order that I received them to see who still might want this shifter. I'm pulling it tomorrow morning and reinstalling the stock. I'm considering on going with the Hurst billet shifter as I love the retro look. I thought my hurst on my old v6 2007 stang had a better feel to it. :) But that is me and I like the look. I wanted to originally keep my bullitt stock-looking, but I'd like to do some stuff to make it mine before nats this year!

Korey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts