Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My impression of the 08 Bullitt are as follows:

The exterior:
Almost too plain jane. Needs more unique parts like the 01's did.
The new color looks awesome on the S197 body.
Wheels and brakes look better then the 01's. The charcoal color makes a nice contrast between the wheel spokes and the Highland green paint.
They should've put some unique mirrors or window louvers on it. The hood, well you know.(Heat extractor all the way!)

Interior:
I like the S197 interior soo it wouldn't take much to sell me on that.
I love the engine turned aluminum dash and the Shelby GT-500 seats. The steering wheel is kinda iffy cause of the generic Bullitt lettering on the center of it.
The Gauges are awesome! I love them. The center quad gauges are right on the mark. The perfect retro look.
The optional navigation is a nice plus for us techy guys and people who get lost easy.

Engine and drivetrain:
The 4.6L 3v V8 is a nice responsive good looking engine. They should've put a unique intake manifold on it and some shorty headers at least. The Cold air intake is kinda cheesy but it works, too much plastic under the hood as it is. I would still want a JLT CAI since they are proven to make the best power and look good too. The JLT would also allow the install of an aftermarket heat extractor hood.
We all know they SHOULD HAVE put something bigger in it but thats the economics of it. Ford isn't doing too good finacially at this time soo a one off engine wasn't going to happen. At least with the 3v there is a plethora of aftermarket HP waiting for future owners.
The transmission should have been a 6spd to make it more fun to drive and kick the MPG up higher.
The rear gears are a good choice for a stock car. Perfect fun and mileage gear.

Exhaust:
2 words. LOVE IT! They did a really good job on making it sound mean and close to the original 390 V8. As good as you can with the technology and displacement gap.
The packed tips really make the rear end pop.

Suspension:
I've seen the videos and it seems to make the chassis really responsive and neutral. Looks like it can powerslide really easily and with allot of control.
Could it be lower? Yes. Would I lower it? Yes.

Overall:
A nice limited package that was almost exactly what us enthusiasts wanted to see. I'd buy it used but wouldn't pay full MSRP for it. I already have a list of mods for my future Bullitt. Maybe 2-4 years down the road I'll pick one up to park next to #0754.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I really love the exterior and I probably would not have bought it if it had scoops and spoilers or aero kits on it. As it is I think it is a close representation of the original 390. Maybe it's because I also own a Lotus Elise and that car gives me all the attention I could ever want, but I'm looking forward to having a stealthy car that can walk the walk but doesn't draw attention to itself.

I also like that fact that it seems to handle very well. I'm more interested in handling in the twisties than in straight line performance.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I love the way it looks. Its exactly "plain" enough for me. I too, would have liked an extractor hood and I would have liked vents in place of the rear quarter windows. The dash IS cool but, I would rather have it and the steering wheel wood grained. The only changes I would make would be American Racing Torq-Thrusts and maybe a Watts Link, depending on how I liked it in the corners. As is, I think it a gorgeous automobile.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Overall from what we have all seen...i think it is a nice package...an well done..remember...the cars we are all looking at are pre-production..I WONDER HOW CLOSE THE PRODUCTIONS CARS ARE GONNA BE TO THE ONES WE HAVE SEEN?..my .02...ok...

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I like it overall, hood should be 68 style. But i am not ready to rush out and order one just yet. I like the fact that there is minimal badging, like no gt badges on the fenders, have been thinking about removing the ones on 1543. Interior is nice, first look at the dash reminded me of the 79 trans am i had. MY 02.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
dg517 said:
Overall from what we have all seen...i think it is a nice package...an well done..remember...the cars we are all looking at are pre-production..I WONDER HOW CLOSE THE PRODUCTIONS CARS ARE GONNA BE TO THE ONES WE HAVE SEEN?..my .02...ok...
Exactly the same. They will auction them off sometime next year.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Exactly the same. They will auction them off sometime next year.

Hi Greg,
The pre production Bullitts are going to be auctioned off next year?

Didn't you say they would be crushed?

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
this is one of the things I found out on my trip. Ford is going to sell the Pilot Production cars at dealer auction sometime next year. Normally these cars are disasembled and crushed. Not this time. These will be the rarest on the Bullitts I think there are 20 in all. All will have the PP designation in front of there numbers.

The red one will be disassembled and crushed.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I like the 2008 a lot-As mentioned before the 05+ body style comes closer than the SN-95 does to the older Mustangs. I don't like the 2008 enough to sell my car and buy it though. I would put it this way-if I could buy an equally prepared 2008 Bullitt (to my current 2001 Bullitt) and not be out of pocket any money, then I'd go with the 2008. Obviously thats never going to happen so I will happily keep enjoying #0005....

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
MaineBullitt said:
I like the 2008 a lot-As mentioned before the 05+ body style comes closer than the SN-95 does to the older Mustangs. I don't like the 2008 enough to sell my car and buy it though. I would put it this way-if I could buy an equally prepared 2008 Bullitt (to my current 2001 Bullitt) and not be out of pocket any money, then I'd go with the 2008. Obviously thats never going to happen so I will happily keep enjoying #0005....
I couldn't have said it better myself John.

Somehow, I don't see any cars that are modded like ours coming available anytime soon for anything close to what we got ours for.

I guess we will just have to suffer. ;)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Bullitt_5135 said:
I couldn't have said it better myself John.

Somehow, I don't see any cars that are modded like ours coming available anytime soon for anything close to what we got ours for.

I guess we will just have to suffer. ;)

(heavy sigh...) Yeah, I guess I can suffer with my car for a while....:lol:

·
Registered
121 Posts
MaineBullitt said:
This is well put. I like it, but not enough to sell mine and get it. I LOVE mine, and have never enjoyed a car more than I do this one...

My gut reaction is that the 08 is not enough different from the regular GT. We got more bang for our buck with the 01 in my opinion. We got better brakes, intake, exhaust, interior complete, etc etc etc. The 08 (IMHO) got a ford powerpack that you can purchase at the dealer for any mustang GT, an upgrade to the front seats, and a bunch of non functional stuff... like a strut tower brace.

So do I like it? Yea
Do I LOVE it? Nope. I like mine better

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Nyt_Muves said:
............... The 08 (IMHO) got a ford powerpack that you can purchase at the dealer for any mustang GT, ............
this part isn't quite correct, at least for now. The CAI, struts etc are unique to the '08 Bullitt

·
Registered
413 Posts
I wouldn't buy one, as I'm not at all a Mustang fan (with the obvious exception of the 99-04 cars generally, and the 01 Bullitt specifically). I bought the Bullitt for the package, not because of the movie or anything else.

That said, I think the car is a Home Run and thanks to Ford for building it. It is indeed closer to the 68 than the 01 is, and totally is in the spirit of the McQueen car and the 01.

·
Registered
121 Posts
RCSignals said:
this part isn't quite correct, at least for now. The CAI, struts etc are unique to the '08 Bullitt
Like you say then, maybe not exactally correct, but with the powerpack the gain is almost identical to the BULLITT in 08...

It needed something more to really set it apart. At least the better brakes again...

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
This car is definitely not a Power pack slapped together car. The suspension and CAI was engineered for this car and not currently available for any other car. Also the computer and other adjustments which add more torque are specific to this car. In fact this car is a better deal than buying a GT and slapping Ford Racing parts on it.

Here is a comparision 01/08

Unique Suspension (springs, shocks, struts) 01/08
Live axle rear end (from the GT500) 08
Unique intake/throttle body 01
CAI 08
Upgraded Brakes 01
Upgraded brake pads 08
Unique seats 01/08
Unique steering wheel 08
sill plates 01/08
Unique rockers 01
Unique dash treatment 08
pedals 01/08
gauge cluster 01/08
unique h-pipe/exhaust 01/08
unique exhaust tips 01/08
unique grill 01/08
18" wheels 08
Strut tower brace 08
Unique 1/4 windows 01
Special computer programing for more torque with premium fuel 08
3.73 gears 08

The new one is head and shoulders above a GT and will out perform a Shelby GT on the track.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts