Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought,I will go with the 3.55 ratio. The 3.73s would be useless at the track without Drag radials,3.55 too for that matter,plus I really don't intend to be running this one on the strip anymore. I like cruising the country roads in 4th,at about 50 MPH,about max here with the curves,and county cops,and this would be ideal RPMs for that. It is just a good all around street gear.On the open highway,75 MPH wouldn't be that revvy either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
how about you pay me the 300 dollars you are going to waste on those gears, and i will tell you the difference. 3.55s are a waste of time, you will hardly feel it. go 3.73s or 4.10s, trust me you won't be sorry. i have 4.30s and i m at 2700 rpm at 70

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would just leave the stock 3.27's in then. I like the 3.27's. I enjoy cruising down the highway at 80 with the low rumble coming from my exhaust, personally.

I went from 2.75's to 3.25's on my 69 vert, and it was barely noticible off the line.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mus408,

Any reputable shop will tell you don't bother going from 3.27's to 3.55's. Don't wate $400+ dollars on doing this swap. The 3.73's are fine on the highway 70MPH=2300rpm. I don't even notice the difference ion rpm from stock. I agree traction is a problem, but what a great problem to have.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bullitt 0208,so I guess the gear swap to 3.73s didn't help you much at the track? May just leave it as is. I already have a quick Stang with 3.89 gears,but no OD.,a C-4 auto built like an anvil.The Bullitt is to be the cruiser. The Bullitt is quicker than the old Boss 302s were,with less gear.....more low end torque!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Yeah, but Mus408, you've got overdrive :grin: You would be turning like 2900 RPM at 60 without overdrive, but only about 2000 RPM with overdrive. I think you would be happy with 3.73's.

Then again, I think you'd like 4.10's too :grin:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mus408,

The only thing that hurt me at the track was my driving!! IT was my first time ever to the drag strip and I only got one "real" run in. I did three runs in total, but....

Run 1----> Air cond. on , Trac control on= really bad time.( Don't ask I was nervous)
Run 2----> Passenger in car, but improved on Run 1.
Run 3----> Solo, Trac off, Air off, Tire spin out of the whole 2.2x 60 ft. granny shift to a 14.4.

If I had more practice and banged the gears more I would get into the 13's. So don't judge the 3.73's by my poor showing.

The only reason I keep insisting not to go with 3.55's is you simply will not notice it. You would be better of spending the money elswhere that's all.

Eric

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2001-11-28 13:48 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric,you will definitely need tires with those gears at the track. Even with the 3.27s it blows the tires off getting on it in 2nd gear. And this is without powershifting! Mustangs have always been this way,take it from an old guy who was racing an 85 LX,before there was a new generation Mustang movement.Only reason I like the 3.55s,is they put me at a comfortable RPM range when I prefer to cruise in 4th gear at around 45-55 MPH. With 3.73s you feel like going to 5th,but that pulls it down too much. I know they are not the gear for ultimate drag racing. If not for the CAFE,and emissions,that's what Ford would have gone with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts