Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using the Tri-ax shifter with a Hurst competition plus chrome stick (in the lower 2 holes of the shifter)and a FatKnob knob. I like the look and feel. The main thing is I can still bang the power shifts without any problem. The shifter is in 1st gear in the pics. Notice the flag in my front yard being reflected in the driver side mirror. I bought the Hurst stick by itself from Brothers Performance. Part # 538-8550. It's not listed in their ads so you have to call 909-735-8880. The knob is from FatKnob's at fatknobs.com. You will have to pay an extra $5.00 for the correct thread which is 3/8x16.

Tri-ax, Hurst chrome shift handle, FatKnob, Amsoil Synthetic, BBK LT,BBK h-pipe, FRPP 3.73 gears, Alum DS, C&L, K&N, clear bra, tinted windows, Autologic chip. Dyno tune from Silver State Motorsports.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullittman615 on 2002-04-10 20:01 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i didn't think i'd like it but the more i look at it........the more i like it.
Nice Pics!!!!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
NICE!! Looks similar to my shifter setup,but I made mine with a bit more angle to the rear.....I need to get a pic on here.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Looks real good. I was thinking of doing something similar but using the Hurst T handle. I had it on one of my previous cars and it felt real comfortable. Looked diffrent to.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Awsome looking shifter!!! It would be neat if they made a rubber boot like the old days. Does anyone make a rubber boot for this?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the positive feedback. The look has grown on me too. I don't know of anyone that makes a rubber boot for this but then I haven't looked. I thought about a t-handle and then I remembered my Boss351 and how it used to make my wrist hurt when throwing a power shift. The FatKnob let's me keep my wrist in more of a natural position when shifting. I also have a FatKnob on my 88 lx as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way 1042 love your sig and the movie.

·
Registered
235 Posts
LOL Damn that thing is HIGH! Very nice.
--WH

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-13 09:00, bullittman615 wrote:
By the way 1042 love your sig and the movie.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks! I think the sig and the movie work go together..... :-B

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stock stick: 9.25 inches long
Tri-ax stick: 7 inches
Hurst stick: 8.6 inches

Longer than the tri-ax but shorter than stock.

Pulling the boot down off the stick and the white knob does make it look longer, but it's not as long as it looks. I've had a lot of positive comments about it. Most of the comments are from guys that were around in the 60's and who remember this look. Retro, that's what I was after and that's what it is. I haven't missed a power shift with it yet and even though it's an inch and a half taller than the tri-ax stick I can't tell any difference between the two when I'm racing.

Tri-ax, Hurst chrome shift handle, FatKnob, Amsoil Synthetic, BBK LT,BBK h-pipe, FRPP 3.73 gears, Alum DS, C&L, K&N, clear bra, tinted windows, Autologic chip. Dyno tune from Silver State Motorsports. 299HP and 351TQ at the crank.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullittman615 on 2002-04-15 09:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
hey, looks great. i was also thinking bout the t-shifter but after seening yours and the thing about the wrist i think ill pass on the t-shifter, bad wrists

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hey Bullittman. I really like the look of the shifter. Where did you get the stick and ball? Can I buy just the stick without the Hurst shifter workings?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the Hurst stick by itself from Brothers Performance. Part # 538-8550. It's not listed in their ads so you have to call 909-735-8880.

The knob is from FatKnob's at fatknobs.com. You will have to pay an extra $5.00 for the correct thread which is 3/8x16.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is long, but bare with me!

Hey gang, I too went with a Hurst chrome stick on a Tri-Ax (lowest position as well), but wasn't happy with the small knob that Hurst offers for the chrome sticks. I thought about a FatKnob, but I wanted a shift pattern on it. The large knob that Hurst does make will only fit a stick that has M12x1.75 threads on it:( So I searched and searched and called and called looking for either a heli-coil or bushing that would go from metric to SAE threads and no one makes one as a stock item. So I figured I'd try and rig up something myself. I cut the threads off of a stock shifter, and coated them with JB Weld. I then screwed it into the knob and was going to drill and tap it with the SAE threads to match the stick. Well, a machinist I was working with wasn't too comfortable with putting a round knob in a drill press and trying to hold it steady and straight. So what he did was take a bolt that had the correct metric threads and put it in a lathe. He drilled and tapped it with the correct SAE threads. It worked! All I did was put the "threaded tube" on the shifter stick, then the knob on that. So if you want a big round knob with a shift pattern for your Hurst stick, here's a way to get it:D Thanks for the inspiration on this retro mod!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DP-jedi
Thanks for the info. I'll bet it looks cool. post a pic so we can see it with the pattern.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Like others the nore I look at it the more i like it :smile: but HP mods are first on my list :smile:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks great, can the Hurst stick be used with the Ford factory sifter ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-02-02 15:50, bullittman615 wrote:
DP-jedi
Thanks for the info. I'll bet it looks cool. post a pic so we can see it with the pattern.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks again bullitman615 for the original pics and inspiration on this mod. Here's a couple of pics I snapped this moring. You can only see the shift pattern on the pic I took from the driver's side. The shifter is in neutral in the pics.

I used a different stick than you did, part number 538-0015. It has only one bend in it, just above where it connects to the shifter and is 8" long. I also cut out the factory boot and put in a Mr. Gasket/Hurst Super Boot. It was like $18 or so at Discount Auto.

Member of Modern Mustangs Of Tampa Bay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DP-Jedi on 2002-02-03 11:48 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 35 Posts