Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 857 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I rented a shop just up the street from our home to do the body work and paint on the Mustang. The price was right and it’s so close Kurt can walk there after school. The best part is there’s enough two more cars. I think I’ll have to get another 68 Charger so I can follow Kurt (a black Charger this time)

After getting the new shop cleaned up we started disassembling the front of the Mustang and test fitted the new hood Kurt bought in Carlisle last week.
Thanks!
Pat

·
Rob
360 Posts
Looks like a great work space. Wish I had that much room.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We pulled the front fenders off and found no rust on either. We knew that the car had some frontend trauma at some point in its life when Kurt bought the car as evident by the inter fender & core support wrinkles. So far the only rust we have found in the front of the car is around some earlier repairs. The right side front apron will get replaced (battery corrosion) the radiator support with cross member and the left side coil spring cover.

Only the left side coil spring cover had rust

The left side front fender apron we will metal bump out, just need to do a better job on the replacement panel between the front and back aprons.

How can you tell a repro fender from a NOS fender???
Thanks!
Pat

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
37,147 Posts
This is better than watching Chip Foose on "Overhaulin'!" :clap2:

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
this is turning out to be my favorite posts at this time. this looks amazing and enjoy the time spent with your son, My son has no interset in cars, my little girl on the other hand does so hopefully we will do something in the future. keep up the great posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
37,147 Posts
Logo!

Pat,
What you need is a LOGO to hang in your garage! (Just thinkin')...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Pat, this project looks awesome! Looks like its going to look great when its all finished. This summer my father and I are looking to start a project car, seeing this is getting me excited about the process already!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We started to remove the radiator support & the strut rod braces. They for the most part were rust free just bent up from a fender bender. The right side front apron need to be replaced as it was rust from the battery and had a so-so repair job. The left side looks like we can bump the dent out.
Thanks!

Pat

I surprised Kurt with a name for the shop

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
hi pat,
i'll be another follower of this great thread! our sons have been showing a little interest in the idea of restoring/building a car - especially since we have had the bullitt... not sure if it would a mustang, but i hope so!

·
Rob
360 Posts
Love watching the progress. Can't wait to see the finished project.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
After removing the radiator support we pulled the motor & trans to make some room for the inner fender repair. Then we removed the front & back glass.

Kurt love using the power tools!

Having fun removing the rusty header bolts.

We used a razor knife to cut the rubber around the windshield to help remove the glass.

It was great to see no rust in either window frame.
Thanks!
Pat

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Kurt & I are still disassembling the car just a little slower as Kurt’s school work has been heavy. He showed me his report card today with 5 A’s and 1 B for a 4.06 gpa. Cost me $100.00 but he is putting the money in the car! I call that a win win!
Thanks!
Pat

Who makes/sells the gasket for the quarter vent air box???

Here you can see the original light green color as this was the 1st time the quarter vent have been off

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Awesome progress. I see threads like this and it almost makes me want to start doing a complete tear down of my '65. Almost. The 4 speed rebuild will come this winter, then we'll see after that. Keep up the good work. Also, nice job on the amount of pictures.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here are a few pictures of the quarter vent air box before & after.

Small repair with 5 minute epoxy.

Re-caulked the inside with black seam sealer

All the parts cleaned up great and I used satin clear coat to bring the gray color of the box out. I was also able to reuse the rubber gasket ( have yet to find anyone who makes a new gasket)
Thanks!
Pat

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Very nice work. What a great project. What car is under the cover in the background on one of those pics? Looks like a 68' GTX???

The reason I ask is I used to own one in High School....

Just curious.

Ichibanbullitt

21 - 40 of 857 Posts