Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Head work,plain and simple! I think the key to gains in power and torque,for the N/A crowd,is going to be some carefull head porting and the install of the new Mod Max valves and valve springs.We have a great intake and it would really show something with some head prep,plus maybe a little bump up in cam timing.It would still appear stock,but give some gains in the mid range power. Go for increases in low lift airflow.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That was my thought too. Most owners who are inclined to modify their cars seem to go for the supercharger as opposed to more complex methods. As gear heads, we all know that power is made in the heads. I have been disappointed in these hi tech modular engines from the git-go because of their modest power output, though the ones hitting the streets now are respectable. Why wouldn't tried and true hot rodding teqniques work? We all know the bolt-ons work. I understand our Bullitts have the "Power Improved" heads shouldn't it be a relatively simple matter to improve the power more, as you point out, with cnc porting, valves and springs, port matching, etc. Is there maybe not enough metal in the heads for this kind of thing? Have the experts just not turned their attention to the 4.6 yet?

No offense to anybody, but IMHO, muscle/pony cars should be naturally aspirated (maybe some Mustangs are an exception because back in the day, some supercharged ones hit the streets with factory warranties). I wouldn't even think of supercharging 4165, but being an HP junkie like the rest, need more. I just want to do it the hard way :cool:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
There is certainly more power to be found in the heads. I don't think it has been a matter of difficulty/ease, but more a matter of $$$ why people haven't flocked to this mod. Even as gear heads, we all have something resembling a budget. Home porting aside, this is currently not a very cost effective mod.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I read a story on these new Mod Max valves. They are a bunch stronger,have a better shaped head for more flow,and are slightly larger,by .030-.040 in diameter. They are a drop in after a simple valve seat job. A little blending in the valve bowl area,and short turn radius will help the flow. This is mostly simple hand/bench work. Sure,it is a pain getting those heads off and on,but could be worthwhile if worked around other mods. Just a thought. I will try and find out what the flow gains and power gains are.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i think you're dead on Mus408.
after reading how much the Bullitt intake does for a std. GT and a GT with a blower, it's obvious that this is an awesome intake!!
i'm still very curious to see how PHP's "package" works with our Bullitts whenever Paul comes out with it!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I too have been waiting to see what Paul will offer in the package.. however I am tired of waiting.

I already ordered the 4.10s and Al shaft. Next will prolly be a Steeda shifter, timing advance, crank pulley, and then some method of fixing the rich mixture.

Prolly need a set of drag radial somewhere along the way. :wink:

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's my plan. As soon as PHP gets it's intake done, pull the heads at the same time and get work done. I've also been talking to a local shop about putting all this on a stroker block.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I am lookin ginto the stage 2 ported cylinder heads, because i want to keep it NA, but there is always the option of adding a blower. NO NOS for me. but $1995.00 is a lot of cash, but it does say it will ad 69+ ponies so i would say it is worth it. what are all you other n/a junkies doing the 1995 includes fully ported intake & exhayst, custom ferrea valve train, full camber work. is it worth it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
That is def. the way i want to go. Paul's kit will be pretty sweet!!! I can't wait for it to come out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts