Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have been here for three days now and I wish we could stay for a month!!!
The weather has been 80-88 every day. We have seen a bit of heat lightning, but no rain to speak of. Water temp is a refreshing but not shocking 78 degrees. Beaches are hardly occupied at all as most are still in school. That will change by the time the rest of you all get here for the Nats. Here are a few things I would advise about coming here...

• Start dieting now, because you will leave here significantly heavier than when you came :lol:
  • Try to get to the Carolina Opry. They have 2 shows, one is Country music based, the other is 60's, 70's and 80's music. We saw the Country themed show and even though we didn't recognize some of the older songs we enjoyed the show a lot.
  • The Beaches are just awesome. No other way to put it. I'm biased coming from Maine where the water temp never goes above 60 degrees, so the water here is just unbeliveable. We did however see a man-o-war jellyfish very near the shore. Watch out for softball size balls of goo resembling a water balloon.
  • There is a very active street racing scene around here and I would say it is less than friendly to outsiders. We drove by a "spot" and got thumbs down not only from import owners but also a terminator Cobra dude. I actually turned around and drove back to "talk" to them, much to my Wife's dismay. I said "How do I rate a thumbs down?"
    Only one of the import owners said anything and it was basically "wanna runem?
    I asked why the Cobra owner did it and he said "It's supercharged, get a faster car" I told him mine was too and he said "It's a Cobra thing" I just cut my losses at that point and drove away, and one of the import owners was actually pretty cool about it and said about the Cobra dude "He's just that way, enjoy your vacation..." I should never have gone back to talk to them as my wife keeps reminding me, but stuff like that bugs me. After seeing how beat up his Cobra is it didn't bother me any more, we'll be reading about him some time...Anyway-when all of you are here this wont be a problem as by sheer numbers a better crowd will be cruising the streets and I'm sure things will be friendlier....
  • Most of all, enjoy yourselves. I wish I could be there with all of you, especially after being here this week.....
:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself John. I had an opportunity to spend about a month in Myrtle Beach when I was consulting for Oracle and while it is a little (ok, a LOT) 'touristy' it is a nice town.

And as far as the Cobra dude....well, eff him. He was jealous of you car as I am sure it was nicer than his.

·
Registered
172 Posts
MaineBullitt said:
......from Maine where the water temp never goes above 60 degrees
Been there, I've was talking in a high pitch voice for days. :lol:

Looking forward to the Nationals. Going to the IRL race in Richmond later this month. I think I'll tell them that Bob and Terry want to race. Oops, forgot about Lynda, don't want to be sexist. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your time, I just feel sad when seeing foreign cars and the Cobra guy, well, you know how they are. :smile: Many stang people are not very friendly. You know what you have, you like it, you enjoy it, and that is all that is needed.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
We should be so lucky to get temps in the 80's in late July.

Be prepared for HOT. I attended the Mustang / Myrtle event in '05 and enjoyed what he area offered. Even got in a round of golf in oppressive heat.

As for the attitude of the Cobra and import owners - what do you expect from street racers?

In my many years as a Mustang enthusiast I have determined that there are basically three distinct groups:

1]the loyalist - mostly Mustang Club of America types who get goosebumps when they see a first generation car with the correct hood latch,

2] the " newbees" - owners of late model Mustangs -the more they are modded the better [and they will bolt from the Mustang scene as soon as the Camero/ Challanger hits the streets],

3] Bullittheads

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Glad you are having a good time John! I personally am not a Myrtle Beach fan, but that's because I've been down there so much (wife's family use to own a condo down there) that I am just fed up with all the crowds during the summer months. Heat and I don't get along very well either. And, for all of you going to the Nats, it gets unbelievably hot and humid down there during the summer. The show on Friday can get down right miserable for us staff members out on that blacktop.

So, where all have you eaten at John? You should give Angello's a try. They are a great little steak house down 17. The Sea Captain's House is great as well and has a deck that overlooks the ocean. It is in the Cherry Grove/NMD area. Liberty Steakhouse at Broadway has great steaks and ribs and many of their own brews to try (I recommend the Golden Ale). I really enjoy the Crabhouse at Broadway too. The House Of Blues has great food and is a really cool atmosphere. It is located at Barefoot Landing. Joe's Crabshack, also at Barefoot, is good as well, but they have a very small dinner selection.

Be safe and enjoy the rest of your trip!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bullitt_5135 said:
And as far as the Cobra dude....well, eff him. He was jealous of you car as I am sure it was nicer than his.
I'm pretty sure the atmosphere will be great when Mustang Week and the Bullitt Nationals are going on. My son has hung out on the Blvd (main cruising thoroughfare) for several years now during Mustang week and says people will hoot & yell their approval for nice cars (& girls)...:lol:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
insano said:
Been there, I've was talking in a high pitch voice for days. :lol:

Looking forward to the Nationals. Going to the IRL race in Richmond later this month. I think I'll tell them that Bob and Terry want to race. Oops, forgot about Lynda, don't want to be sexist. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am now ruined for life with regard to getting in the water in Maine.:lol: How am I supposed to get back in that 60 degree water after this week? Oh well, it only hurts for a few minutes, then you go numb...:cool:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FCMCBULLITT said:
We should be so lucky to get temps in the 80's in late July.

Be prepared for HOT. I attended the Mustang / Myrtle event in '05 and enjoyed what he area offered. Even got in a round of golf in oppressive heat.

As for the attitude of the Cobra and import owners - what do you expect from street racers?

In my many years as a Mustang enthusiast I have determined that there are basically three distinct groups:

1]the loyalist - mostly Mustang Club of America types who get goosebumps when they see a first generation car with the correct hood latch,

2] the " newbees" - owners of late model Mustangs -the more they are modded the better [and they will bolt from the Mustang scene as soon as the Camero/ Challanger hits the streets],

3] Bullittheads

Just my opinion.
Proudly I consider myself a member of the 3rd....:cool:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4fit? said:
Glad you are having a good time John! I personally am not a Myrtle Beach fan, but that's because I've been down there so much (wife's family use to own a condo down there) that I am just fed up with all the crowds during the summer months. Heat and I don't get along very well either. And, for all of you going to the Nats, it gets unbelievably hot and humid down there during the summer. The show on Friday can get down right miserable for us staff members out on that blacktop.

So, where all have you eaten at John? You should give Angello's a try. They are a great little steak house down 17. The Sea Captain's House is great as well and has a deck that overlooks the ocean. It is in the Cherry Grove/NMD area. Liberty Steakhouse at Broadway has great steaks and ribs and many of their own brews to try (I recommend the Golden Ale). I really enjoy the Crabhouse at Broadway too. The House Of Blues has great food and is a really cool atmosphere. It is located at Barefoot Landing. Joe's Crabshack, also at Barefoot, is good as well, but they have a very small dinner selection.

Be safe and enjoy the rest of your trip!
It is definately touristy here. I don't think I'd want to be here too often, but for the occasional event such as this summer it is great.
As for the food, we are staying down in Surfside right on the beach. We can walk to a couple of local places such as River City Cafe, cool place for burgers & beer. Blackjack burger is awesome. The air force base is now developed into shops & restaurants, we ate at The Brewery one night, very good and exceptional service. We did the tourist thing one night and ate at Crabby Mikes Seafood Buffet. A bit pricey but we ate a ton of crab legs. There are definately local places around here that are off the beaten path, but we have acted the part of tourists while we have been here....Great times for sure...:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.