Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washed the car today and as I was walking up to it in the parking lot later, I notice this goofy-looking smudge at the top of the left door --- an oval-shaped smear about 3 inches high and 4 inches long. Pop the trunk, grab the terrycloth and wipe. Smudge still there. Squirt Windex, wipe again. Smudge still there. Scratch head. Spray, wipe, spray wipe. Smudge still there. Finally, after about 10 tries, it's gone. Sort of. At certain angles, it's still there. Mystery smudge from hell? Anyone had this kind of thing on their finish before? :confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a couple “smudges “ as you call them caused by bird droppings. You have to look hard to notice them, but they are only slightly noticeable under certain light. I tried polish and cleaners but the marks are still there.I know where they are but
no one else will probably ever notice them.

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DavidMidgley said:
You need to lay on about a half dozen coatings of wax. To protect from further bird presentations...:lol:
Bird droppings. Who woulda thunk it? Hmmm. I probably just did a "quickie" wash-it-off one day... Roger Wilco on the wax. Wonder if the tell-tale spot will disappear when doused and buffed with wonderful wax?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
IDK, kinda depends on the clear coat. Not having seen it nor being a real detail/car wax Guru I couldn't say. I can say that my wife's last car had bird droppings that scared the clear coat and it was never the same. At least to me. However, to my knowledge no one else ever noticed.

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great SCOTT!

Smidgley, :lol: surely you're not suggesting that I will have to look at "bird shadow" all the days of my life?????:eek:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
could be a splash of 30 weight oil

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a similar incident about two months ago. I had left the Bullitt (black) out and didn't use it for a couple of days. I came out to clean it up and notice a large spot of bird droppings on the roof. I got a wet MF towel to wipe it off and I noticed the droppings had apparently etched into the clear coat. You could run your fingers thru it and feel the depression. I tried some rubbing compound and then some wax but to no avail. I was digusted and went back in the house. I thought about it overnight and decided to sand out the clear coat with 2000 grit wet or dry the next morning. I walk up to the car and was looking for the spot and couldn't find it. The spot had totally disappeared!! It was as if the clear coat had repaired itself.

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
00lightning said:
I had a similar incident about two months ago. I had left the Bullitt (black) out and didn't use it for a couple of days. I came out to clean it up and notice a large spot of bird droppings on the roof. I got a wet MF towel to wipe it off and I noticed the droppings had apparently etched into the clear coat. You could run your fingers thru it and feel the depression. I tried some rubbing compound and then some wax but to no avail. I was digusted and went back in the house. I thought about it overnight and decided to sand out the clear coat with 2000 grit wet or dry the next morning. I walk up to the car and was looking for the spot and couldn't find it. The spot had totally disappeared!! It was as if the clear coat had repaired itself.
(Door slowly creaks open. Rod Serling enters room with wry grin)...:eek:

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I concur...

rangerdoc said:
Maybe someone with a very dirty face/head was pressed against it looking inside :confused:
That is an interesting theory, and was one of the first things that crossed my mind. Only they wouldn't have been "looking inside." The "spot" looked exactly as if someone with a very greasy head of hair had simply rested that greasy head against the door. And, when you do the mental measurements, a spot 4 inches below the top of the door is just about where such a head would come to rest, should the greasy person be sitting on the ground and leaning against it. It all adds up, and I really don't remember birds doing any business in that spot either. But, if it was indeed a greasy person, the question that begs to be asked is "Why?" (Do I hear Rod Serling coming again?)...:lol:

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rblack4405 said:
could be a splash of 30 weight oil
Not oil. I'm waaaaaay too careful for that.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
StvMcQueen said:
Not oil. I'm waaaaaay too careful for that.
Unless someone was using 30 weight oil as hair tonic. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts