Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Navigation System and Shorty Antenna..?

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  rangerdoc 
#1 ·
Hey there, folks. Just curious if anyone with the Nav system is using a shorty antenna, and if it works OK. My Bullitt has the Nav system, but not a trunk wart/turtle. I'm guessing that the Nav system uses the radio antenna for GPS satellite signal..(?). Just asking, 'cause I'm thinking of cutting down the stock antenna...

Thanks..:smile:

:dhg08:

#2 ·
This is a short version of what I sent you earlier but it apparently didn't get sent out.

I have a Pioneer Avic Z-2 System that I replaced the junk Ford DVD based Nav System that never worked properly for me and I received no consideration from Ford or the Dealership. The Pioneer system works great and I have the shorty antenna. I'm not sure that the Pionner System is even hooked up to the Stock antenna but everything works great including IPOD-Sirius Radio-DVD and Stereo.

#3 ·
I believe the factory ford GPS antenna in under the dash sitting on top of the the gauge cluster .... Saw this in a manual someone posted...

The Radio antenna and GPS antenna are 2 separate pieces..

As joseph did I replaced my ford radio for a different GPS head unit mine being a Kenwood DNX5120 .. this also uses factory radio antenna for radio then a separate GPS antenna and then a third antenna for Sirius ..

so go and trim your antenna .... it may affect your FM reception but won't bother the GPS :bigguns:

#5 ·
8 inch antenna with factory DVD GPS system. No issues.

#6 ·
Thanks, folks. Yesterday afternoon I hit the local Pick-Your-Parts, and pulled off several Ford antenna masts, and picked out 3 slightly different, straight ones to cut down. Got 'em for $2 each.. I see that that the older ones are more plain looking, tapered stainless steel whips, with the earlier of those being thinner than the later ones. They have apparently "evolved" over the years, getting thicker, and then gaining the spiral flutes... Anyway, I trimmed 'em down to 15-1/4", and will probably go with the early thin stainless one (not painted black). I think it looks the most "retro" in keeping with the Bullitt's image, and looks most like an older telescopic that's just pulled half way up... Like so many I used to see on the road. Trimming was really simple, and I used a Dremel to perfectly thin the end, then tapped the ball tip back on. I also used a dab of slow-cure epoxy on the ball, and finally finished off the ball by dipping it in silver Testors model paint (ball was a bit tarnished, being made of brass). Looks like a Ford factory antenna (it is) that's just shorter.

:dhg08:

#10 ·
duaneproctor said:
I just received the 8" one from Brenspeed. It came with several different studs for different year models. None of them fit the 09. Found one that would 'cut' it's own threads in the upper shoulder though. Is this what you guys did?
I just got one off eBay for my '08 from this guy (See list of cars the antenna works with): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHORT-CAR-ANTENNA-CORVETTE-ZO6-MUSTANG-FORD-GM-SHORTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem130278548804QQitemZ130278548804QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Try this link as well: http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZmustangQ20shortyQ20antennaQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

#11 · (Edited)
duaneproctor said:
I just received the 8" one from Brenspeed. It came with several different studs for different year models. None of them fit the 09. Found one that would 'cut' it's own threads in the upper shoulder though. Is this what you guys did?

Nope, I bought mine from Dallas Mustang, and it had the correct thread on it already - but slightly long. I cut about a 1/4" off the bottom of the stud and it threaded right in perfectly.

http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/ANTENNAS-1979-2009-8-MAST-BLACK/6174

#12 ·
my home-made shorty

This is the one I got from the junk yard and cut down. Perfect fit, as it was an older Ford antenna. Yes, I like the smooth stainless look.:smile:
15-1/4" long; radio reception still seems perfect, and nav system still functional.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.