Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my Bullitt, but my wife's 2002 Explorer. The power door locks have slowly stopped shifting. At this time 3 of the 4 door locks don't lock or unlock with the button. They're not stuck because they can easily be locked by hand. I suspect it's something external to the doors. The local Ford dealer has offered to pull the door panels and look for $60/hr. My concern is that the Ford dealer isn't familiar with this problem and it doesn't show up on any of the car complaint forums. Lots of other problems with these vehicles, but not this one. Any Ford tech's or anyone else ever had a similar problem. Thanks. Bullitt 3070.

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
Another consideration, although it don't sound like it in this case, is that on my 1996 Explorer on the drivers door only, the lock solenoid (or whatever it is called) in the door actually came unattached from the end or the door (where the latching mechanism is. It was held in place with some kind of a funky fastener that slipped over a pin protruding from the lock solenoid that went through the door frame. Mine had corroded off about 6 or 7 years ago, give or take. Probably due to all the salt used in Minnesota in the winters. Passenger door good so far and so are rear doors. The problem with this situation is that you get out and lock the doors, hear them "klunk" down, but my drivers door wasn't getting pulled down, so you were thinking it locked but the driver's door was still open. I happened to notice that the manual lock button on the top of the door wasn't getting pulled down all the way.

Since I am a cheapskate and didn't want to spend over $300 at Ford to have a new one put in, I was able to drill 2 small holes either side of the solenoid on the door end, slip a nylon zip tie around the solenoid and pulled it securely back in place aligning what was left of the pin with the hole on the outside of the door. Small dab of caulk over the holes and for about $0.10 and a half of an hour of my time (door panel has to be partially removed to get hand inside to guide nylon zip-tie around the solinoid) I fixed the problem. It lasted about 5 years, just put a new one on again this Summer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I pulled the boot back from the driver's door just to look and wiggled the wires around. After that 3 0f the 4 locks were working so I suspect that the problem is in the wiring harness where it enters the drivers door. When I have more time I'll pull it apart, but I suspect that the problem is in the wiring. Since the door must come off in case of collision repair I'm pretty sure that there will be a plug somewhere nearby.

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Did you know that the black zip ties are exterior use and the white ones are interior? The black is stronger as well!
I did not know that, first one I put on was white, this time I used a black one, probably last longer than I keep the Explorer, although it hasn't been seeing many miles, so I may keep it a few more years if no large expensive problem comes along. I buy the jar full of zip-ties when on sale at Menards, Home Depot or Lowes, use them on garden fencing to hold to the fence posts, plus lots of other things like this. Kind of like Duct (or Duck) tape, many uses. :smile:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Check the door lock actuators. They are famous for being "weak". They are not to hard to switch out, if you have some basic auto knowledge.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Bullitt3070 said:
Today I pulled the boot back from the driver's door just to look and wiggled the wires around. After that 3 0f the 4 locks were working so I suspect that the problem is in the wiring harness where it enters the drivers door. When I have more time I'll pull it apart, but I suspect that the problem is in the wiring. Since the door must come off in case of collision repair I'm pretty sure that there will be a plug somewhere nearby.
yea ur in for a fun time lol...pull the cover back away from the door and push it into the body so you have access to the wiring...once thats done just look for ur broken wires

1 - 11 of 11 Posts