Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
cleaning car for show here in town and notice a leak in tube. Pics show location of leak. Should I go to the car show with this. How serious is it?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Where does the tube originate, what does it connect to, and where does it finally end?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Looks pretty bad. You might consider parking that car till the 08 comes out and trade it off for the new Bullitt.:wink:

Maybe needs a new clamp? Something with a little more moxie on the union. IMHO, it could be that the spring steel clamp is loosing it's tension.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
power steering line it looks like
I would clean it off, monitor fluid levels, and watch for how severe it is.
I think that's a press fit line from rubber to steel so I think it would require replacement after verifying everything.

also my stepdad likes & has good results with that Lucus power steering additive. No idea personally on how well it works, but could be worth a shot. I may try a little in 1986 some day as I have had a screech when turning for the last 10-20k miles, maybe more. No change in driving though.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking it could be the powe steering line but not sure. Power steering level looks okay. By the way is power steering fluid supposed to be brown? I am going to post up a couple of more pics by editing orginal thread.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
dennisbaker said:
I was thinking it could be the powe steering line but not sure. Power steering level looks okay. By the way is power steering fluid supposed to be brown? I am going to post up a couple of more pics by editing orginal thread.
yes and no. It should be either clear or red, depending on the fluid you're using I think. I imagine that is just years of use turning darker. I flushed mine like a year or so ago. What I did was drain the reservoir, fill it, and kept cranking the engine and it would pump all the fluid out. As soon as any change of sound happened I would shut the car off (like 2 seconds). I did this a few times, and it made a small improvement but nothing drastic. For the life of me though, I can't remember what fluid I used. I also imagine there is a better way, but I didn't know of one off hand.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Used to be the same as Ford Auto Trans fluid. I suppose that is the case now, maybe with some synthetic as well to the mix. Check Auto Zone or O'Rielly's. It'll be in their books or computer as to what Ford recommends. I'm with Ezekial, loose the fluid if it's brown. If the fitting is pressed one, replace the hose, it's not worth fooling with. Couple bucks. I saw that as a spring clamp. You could cut it short and clamp it, but that's not good for reliability or anything show. And you do show your cars...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts