Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help,

I need advice on a couple of mods. I currently have a bassani xpipe w/cats, a steeda tri-ax shifter, and the densecharger that should be here today. Steeda is sending me the new pullies, a timing adjuster, and some gears. I'm debating on what type of gears to get, 355 or 373. Which do you think is best. Also, what have yaw heard about the timing adjuster, and how much do most places charge to install gears. The nearest place to me installs them for 300.
Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
I haven't had gears installed in a few years so I can't tell you how much, although $300 sounds a bit high. As far as which ones, take the 373's. 355's are just too close to stock, and I don't think you'll even feel the difference.

just my opinion

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just had 3.73's installed yesterday. Definitely go 3.73's or 4.10's. I can barely notice a difference between the stock and the 3.73's. I had a 96 GT that I went from 3.08's to 3.55's and that seemed to make more of a difference. I'm still breaking the gears in (just passed 100 miles on the new gears) so I'll wait to give final judgement until I've had them for a while. I was told a rule of thumb is to go at least two ratios higher to notice a SOTP difference.

$300 seems cheap to me. I paid $460 for my install. (Of course gas is $2.15/gal for premium in my area also.)

Good luck with the gears.

BTW- you will need to have the speedometer electronically calibrated after the gears are installed.

Eric

·
Registered
120 Posts
208, $460? Did that include gears?

·
Registered
394 Posts
The price of $460 dollars did include 3.73 Ford Motorsport gears. The gears were $240. A little steep compared to what I've seen in ads, but I didn't want to wait.

Eric

·
Registered
452 Posts
Go 410.. or you will regret it.... look on corral and search all the gears post.. all say 410's unless you are going NOS or SC...

Doug

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My 3.73's went in three days ago at a local diff. shop. The labor was a total of $240 to install the gears and aluminum driveshaft....which was A LOT better than what the Ford dealer wanted to charge me for the labor - - $500! It did take a little hunting around to find a pro who would do the work...some shops won't touch a part unless THEY ordered or sold it.
I bought both items from Fordspeed.com. I'm really happy with the 3.73's and wouldn't want any other for the type of driving I do (daily driver, will never see a track or strip). For a primary daily driver I wouldn't want the 4.10's...Just my opinion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
DHG #00148, My 1999 went with 3.55 gears. Waist of time and money further upgraded to 3.73s made me happy. good performance and good gas mileage! Once I finish my '89 coupe and can afford to upgrade my Bullitt,plans call for 3.73 gears and Sean Hyland H pipe with cats. Still reviewing densecharger, due to fact I already have K&N and trimed air inlet (also known as silencer) trimed to keep hot air out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
so what gears DO come with it stock ?? and any one tell me why/how much/is it worth it for the timing adjustr ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts