happen and we find it hard to believe that this vehicle which is a 5 speed
could even due that from a dead stop. So this is why we need someone that could
provide us with their professional knowledge about the car and the
possibility of this happening the way the officer claims. Thanks for any
contacts you might be able to provide to help us with this... (704) 890-4788

·
Premium Member
18,826 Posts
Lisa, yes a Bullitt (stock or modified) is fully capable of doing what the Officer witnessed. Are there any other witnesses besides your son and the Officer? Was your son cited? If he was cited and your son chooses to plead not guilty in traffic court, the judge or magistrate will most likely believe the Officer's account (if the Officer appears in court) of what happened over your son's testimony.

Collin

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Oh yes, the car can do it... lol. The 5sp just makes it THAT MUCH MORE EASY to happen :D
you should send your son to a driving school WITH the car. These things are lots of fun, but take skill to drive safely.

Your best argument could be the fact that the car does have traction control. As long as your son didn't turn it off (I wouldn't even mention that in the argument, just say it has it) it pretty much prevents the car from spinning the tires more than a couple feet from a stop. It works by dropping the fuel and changing the operation of hte engine to remove power from getting sent to the wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
Rikki Racer said:
Just depends, if he had his traction control on, no way. If he had it off....game on! Did you check to see if there were rubber marks at the scene?
YES!
If the officer's account is correct, there should be TWO well-defined black streaks (tire marks) crossing the intersection under that stop light. The tire marks should follow the exact path as described by the officer. No other evidence should raise doubt as convincingly as the lack of any tire marks in that intersection.

TAKE PICTURES ASAP!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You won't necessarily see black streaks, especially if the car was moving around a bit, but Ezekial's argument for traction control is your best defense, provided there is not a video for it. I would demand to see the video, and if not frthcoming with the proof, go with the traction control defense. The car will lay over hard on traction control, so that's a feasable defense, sans video proving the "drift fest".

Matter of fact, the TC automatically will be on, on a restart.

Ah, heck, I'll just call you.

Jim

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Does your owners manual explain how the traction control works? Also if using that defense how will anyone know it was working or turned off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
PhotoRick said:
YES!
If the officer's account is correct, there should be TWO well-defined black streaks (tire marks) crossing the intersection under that stop light. The tire marks should follow the exact path as described by the officer. No other evidence should raise doubt as convincingly as the lack of any tire marks in that intersection.

TAKE PICTURES ASAP!
Not True. I had a 2002 GT and had Khumo Ecsta tires and could roast all day long and no black marks. On my Bullitt I have Khumo Supra tires and I can leave HUGE black marks. And they are the same brand just a different line of tire.

Second: Being that your son was just learning how to drive a stick :)cry: for the Bullitt :smile: ) he could not have possibly pulled off a drifting stunt like that, especially from starting it in gear, unless he was siting at the light with his wheels turned to lock and mashed the gas after starting it.

Third: The police car might not nessecarily have a video tape. Most police cars don't record unless they turn the sirens on. They can turn the lights on but without the sirens the video doesn't record.

Fourth: SWT is correct. From a start the computer automatically engages the Traction Control, so the most the car could do is chirp the tires slightly before, most likely, killing itself from fuel cut.

But hey, thats just my $0.02 :smile:

Good luck

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Bullitt2797 said:
Not True. I had a 2002 GT and had Khumo Ecsta tires and could roast all day long and no black marks. On my Bullitt I have Khumo Supra tires and I can leave HUGE black marks. And they are the same brand just a different line of tire.

Second: Being that your son was just learning how to drive a stick :)cry: for the Bullitt :smile: ) he could not have possibly pulled off a drifting stunt like that, especially from starting it in gear, unless he was siting at the light with his wheels turned to lock and mashed the gas after starting it.

Third: The police car might not nessecarily have a video tape. Most police cars don't record unless they turn the sirens on. They can turn the lights on but without the sirens the video doesn't record.

Fourth: SWT is correct. From a start the computer automatically engages the Traction Control, so the most the car could do is chirp the tires slightly before, most likely, killing itself from fuel cut.

But hey, thats just my $0.02 :smile:

Good luck
What you just described does not occur with my car, Traction control on or off! It will light em up! goodyears were very good at smoking...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts