Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Need Help With '66 Stang Please

260 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  FORTE TWO-MOM 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Justin/Forte 2's little sister has decided that she WOULD like her '66 show worthy in time for the B-Nats/Mustang Nats! :smile:
Now I could really use some advice. What it needs other than a complete engine compartment overhaul is a set of front power disc brakes. Does anyone have a good experience with a specific aftermarket kit? She currently has 4 wheel drum brakes. :frown: As long as we're tearing this car down, we want to make it as safe for her as possible. And no, she's not like her brother...she won't be drag racing. Appreciate your help in a hurry. Only 54 days!!! EEEK:eek:
THANKS!
-Forte 2's (& "A's") Mom

#3 ·
On my '65 I bought an SSBC non-boosted kit. Easy to install and threw me into the seatbelt if I really stepped on it. The super-stiff pedal got old, so I got a power booster setup from MustangSteve. Both bolted up easily with no problems whatsoever, though they weren't cheap. About $1,000 for the brakes and $500 for the booster/clutch combo. I have 16x8 Vintage Wheel Works 45's and clearance was not an issue, though I think they will fit in a 15" wheel.

If I had to do it over again (its been 4-5 years now), I'd go with MustangSteve's Cobra brake setup over the SSBC for the extra stopping power (need 17's though). Either way, quality products and no intall problems.

SSBC also has a rear brake kit based on the 85 SVO setup that was equally as easy and uses the stock SVO master cylinder. The fittings are on the opposite side, so new lines need to be bent from the proportioning valve.

Charlie

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/products/detail/443/?make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=1965

http://www.mustangsteve.com/BRAKES.html

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/products/wheels/v45/16x8

#4 ·
Would agree with the Stainless Steel Brake kits.
We have them on our 66 coupe, 66 convertible, and 68 convertible.
Husband and son installed them in an afternoon, the 66 coupe and 68 have the power booster.
I can't even begin to tell you how much more enjoyable driving my 66 coupe is now compared to prior when braking was always fear inducing.
I think it's terrific she wants to take her pony to the Nationals.
Good luck,
Joyce

#6 ·
I put manual ssb fronts on my 67.They really don't stop any faster than the drum brakes but it does not pull in either way when I stop hard. I was looking for consistancy not more stopping power. I have not done any brake maint for 25k miles. The only thing is I don't like the manual adjustment between front and rear brakes.

#7 ·
I read one negative report on Stang.net on the SSBC kit regarding lack of customer support and not standing behind the product. But that could have just been the author. I saw a couple that supported Willwood & Baer. Anybody have thoughts on them? The SSBC kit price was in the $1,500 range OUCH! Haven't priced others...
Another factor is that we will be staying with the stock styled steel wheels and want it to look as stock as possible. Not that anyone would mistake this coupe for a 66 GT...but we've raised this child a purist...stock wherever you can.
Epperstang, how about a little taste of Missouri in springtime?...sounds like you're an expert!
Thank you all for your thoughts. More, please.
--Forte 2's (& A's) Mom

#8 ·
If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, spend some time on the mustangsteve.com site. Read the tech articles on the Granada swap. Many members have this setup and are more than happy with it. If you can do some minor fab work and don't mind some parts searching (all stock Ford parts and they can be found on eBay), it may fit the bill. Forum members respond quickly to most posts and searching the archives for similar issues is a snap, so you are able to troubleshoot if any issues arise.

There are some guys over there with Willwood and Baer setups too, so you may get some input on those there, as well.

It's the best site I've found about subtle, affordable mods to the early cars and have found it an invaluable research tool for building my '65.

#9 ·
lunchbox said:
If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, spend some time on the mustangsteve.com site. Read the tech articles on the Granada swap. Many members have this setup and are more than happy with it. If you can do some minor fab work and don't mind some parts searching (all stock Ford parts and they can be found on eBay), it may fit the bill. Forum members respond quickly to most posts and searching the archives for similar issues is a snap, so you are able to troubleshoot if any issues arise.

There are some guys over there with Willwood and Baer setups too, so you may get some input on those there, as well.

It's the best site I've found about subtle, affordable mods to the early cars and have found it an invaluable research tool for building my '65.
Thanks "lunchbox", the owner of the shop that is doing the work on the '66 mentioned it, but said the Granada parts were getting scarce since they haven't been in production since the '80's...SO...sounds like it's going to be the new route.
At $67/hr, it might just even out if the kit goes in quicker...well a girl's gotta dream.:shock:
I'll check it out and see what I can learn on the Willwood & Baers.
Hey maybe Baer can add the '66 to it's project cars? :question: :confused: :question:
I'll keep checking back here if anyone else has some thoughts.
Thanks again!
--Forte 2's (&"A's") Mom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.