Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just joined IMBOC and this is my first post and hope you can give me some advice on using the clutch in my 2019 BULLITT.

Two weeks ago I bought a new 2019 BULLITT and drove it from Maryland to NY. Although I haven't driven a manual for some time, my first car had a manual transmission and I used to drive my friend stick shift small sports car. These can not compare to the BULLITT

I am having problems adjusting to the BULLITT's clutch. I continue to practice in parking areas and I am getting better at learning to use the BULLITT's clutch. I have read on the internet that other veteran stick shift drivers are having similar difficulties and they have been driving manuals for years. One person previously had an older manual GT and drove it with no problem. When he drove his 2019 BULLITT home he said he felt like he was learning to drive a stick for the very first time. Some people say they have replaced the spring in the clutch with another brand.

Here is what I am experiencing:
1) The biting point is very high, almost 60% from the floor.
2) The resistance of the pedal seems (to me) to be too much. If there was less resistance I would be able to work the clutch better.

I personally want to master this the way it is set up. I feel FORD must have had a reason for setting it up this way.

Is this a special type of clutch to match the torque and hp of the BULLITT?
AN ANALOGY TO THIS FOR ME IS IF YOU WERE TREADING A STRING THROUGH A SEWING NEEDLE, SOMEONE WAS HOLDING BACK YOUR ARM AS YOU WERE TRYING TO THREAD THE NEEDLE.

Thank you for your input!

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Look at the other thread here called Steeda Clutch assist spring. This is what people are putting on. Mine is actually on order.

·
Registered
22 Posts
^^^^ I've been driving manual trans cars for over 55 years - but the Bullitt has one of the strangest clutch pedal force vs travel curves I've ever experienced. The Steeda spring resolves the issue, and even though pedal effort is slightly increased, the feel and fidelity of the clutch makes it easy to drive well.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Cost of Steeda Clutch Assist Spring

How much does the Clutch Assist Spring cost? AND How is it installed?

Dennis

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so very much mrjayd!!!
I greatly appreciate your prompt reply, concern and recommendation!!!
Take care!
moms

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi alleron.

Thank you for describing your experience. It greatly helps. You have a terrific way with words!

moms

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Fords4ever!

Your reply greatly helps me. Thank you for so much for your assistance!

moms

·
Administrator
6,392 Posts
Yes, a lot of folks starting with the 2015 model year Mustang had complaints about the clutch engagement. My own experience is that I adapted to the action of the return by holding ("slipping") the clutch a bit longer than I would in other cars. After a few weeks of use, it became less prominent. When I got my 2019 Bullitt, I actually thought it was much improved over my '15. I also noticed that as the spring wore in, it was less herky-jerky in its action in my '15.

That all said, Steeda's spring is the change many people have used. Please do note that in the '15-'17 models, there was a bit of slack introduced when putting the new spring on, so that when you first push the clutch in, you feel a bit of slack as the pedal travels down. I am not certain if people using a revised spring for the '18+ models (including the Bullitt) have noticed this.

Reactions: bullit4404 and moms

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Tony Alonso!

What you noted along with the other replies helps me tremendously! It is wonderful to have your input. I have options and it certainly helps to know what your and others have experienced.
Thank you so much!
moms

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you want to try something before getting a spring, here is a suggestion. We are all different so this may not work for some or you may already be doing this. This applies mostly to starting from a dead stop. Some people rest the ball of their foot on the clutch pedal and their heel is "in the air". Others (I do this) anchor their heel on the floor and have more ball/toes on clutch pedal. When you do this, ankle joint motion is controlling the clutch engagement in first gear. The clutch travel through release is longer on a mustang than many other cars but there is a spot with clutch depressed where you can anchor your heel on the floor and let the ankle joint rather than the large part of the leg do the work. We have more coordination and feel in ankle/toes than in hip/knee/ankle.

Once rolling it's hard to anchor heel through other shifts as pedal travel is kinda long so it becomes more of a heel drag for me.

Most cars I've owned have had shorter travel clutches. This car definitely took a couple days to get used to.

Maybe the spring suggested solves this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Moms, I too struggled with the clutch at first. Now I have 2,700km (1600miles) on the car I am much better at it. Still not prefect, but much better. I have considered the Steeda spring, and one day I might replace it, but for now but for now have decided to just work with the one installed.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Twin disc clutches tend to be an engagement exercise. Try a five disc racing clutch some time. Engage like a switch.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi #94.
This sounds like a good idea to try out. I did not think of that. I will certainly try it and thank you so much for your input.
Take care!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Brett.

Your use of the word "struggle" certainly describes it. I am improving and will keep on "clutching". Thank you for expressing your thoughts. They are very supportive and that helps me. I would like to master this because it is a challenge. In either case, down the rode, I may go for the Steeda.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi bullit4404.

I forgot about this being a twin disc clutch. That makes me feel and understand this better. I can't imagine how challenging that five disc clutch must be. Thanks for educating me about this. Take care and thank you again.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi 9mmBullitt.
Your information is right on the money. The video is a great help. Thank you for your input. Take care and be well!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Hi Moms, I too struggled with the clutch at first. Now I have 2,700km (1600miles) on the car I am much better at it. Still not prefect, but much better. I have considered the Steeda spring, and one day I might replace it, but for now but for now have decided to just work with the one installed.
I did the same thing for a while. I thought it was just me and I could “get used to it” and I did get a little better at driving it but it was always a struggle even when I was smoother after a month or so, it was still just NOT right and I finally fixed it by installing the Steeda spring.

I should note that even when I was able to more smoothly engage the clutch at takeoff, the 1-2 engagement was never smooth for me especially if driving quickly. The Steeda spring was a MUST for me and my only regret was waiting to install it.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Just installed mine the other day and to be honest, I don’t really notice much of a difference. Maybe it’s just me not having a clutch for about 25 years that I don’t notice much from the stock spring.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts