Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone just had a couple of questions. I've been saving for a while now and I'm kinda not sure where to go from here(already bought a cobra hood and mirrors last week).... lately Ive been feeling like the bullitt handles pretty well but its lacking power. Should I just not spend any money now and put it toward my forced induction fund or can I get something now:confused: My goal is 350-375rwhp to the floor.I was planning(well, actually thinking of) upgrading my fuel system. Any idea of what I should do/buy next, e.g. fuelpump(brand), injectors(lbs/brand?), does the fuel filter make a diff? I realize upgrading my fuel system isn't going to make me faster on its own but im not sure what to do. And should I install it now or wait for my turbo kit and do it then?Any ideas and comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I'd put it towards forced induction. I would plan what you want to run, and then start building. IMHO, a fuel system would be a perfect thing to do right now to get it out the the way. To do it right, IMHO, I would go with a 03 Cobra tank since it has baffles. As for pumps I am not sure what to recommend off hand, but I hear a lot of things about the Focus pumps. For your HP goals, just the stock 03 Cobra should be more than sufficient since they put out more stock :)

If you're going turbo though, your car could potentially put down some serious numbers so purchase on the high side for sure. Definitely do not want to starve your engine of fuel :D

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
If you are going turbo, call the turbo place and see what their system requires. Do it once and do it right.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would just go forced. But if u go turbo be ready for alot of fab work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys i think i'll do that, so looks like fuel system it is...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
305stang said:
thanks guys i think i'll do that, so looks like fuel system it is...
Haven't had time to read all the posts in this thread but if you do end up going forced induction (Do it!!) most kits will come with fuel system upgrades. I would wait to do anything until you decide one way or another if you are going forced.....:cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any thoughts on a transmission? is a T56 really worth it?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
305stang said:
any thoughts on a transmission? is a T56 really worth it?
There are 2 schools of thought here. One is to just run the TR3650 until it grenades, and it might never grenade. There are several members here running some pretty serious horsepower through their stock transmissions and driving hard who have no issues. Then there are some who have almost no mods and have had to replace their original transmissions.
The other school of thought is to upgrade at the same time as the power booster (or in your case before) to eliminate any possible issues.
My car came with the T56 when I bought it so I cant give you a before & after. Hopefully someone on here who has had both will chime in.
As for advantages, the T56 has a higher torque handling of 500 ft lbs versus the 360 ft/lbs of the 3650.
The extra overdrive gives you the opportunity to get better cruising mileage...
Here are the gear ratios of each...
T56..........2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 .80 .62
TR3650...3.38 2.00 1.32 1.00 .67

Looking at these you can see that besides the extra gear in the T56, the 1st-2nd drop in rpms is bigger in the 3650, the T56 is a closer ratio 1-4 transmission than the stocker, this is debatably a better setup for racing. If you end up going forced induction it may help you stay in the power band a bit easier, though the power band will be pretty broad anyway.
No matter what-do lots of research. It sounds like you are going to spend some money so do all you can to make sure you end up with exactly what you want, not what somebody else tells you to get because ultimately you are the one driving the car and you are the only one who needs to be pleased with it...:cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
MaineBullitt said:
There are 2 schools of thought here. One is to just run the TR3650 until it grenades, and it might never grenade. There are several members here running some pretty serious horsepower through their stock transmissions and driving hard who have no issues. Then there are some who have almost no mods and have had to replace their original transmissions.
The other school of thought is to upgrade at the same time as the power booster (or in your case before) to eliminate any possible issues.
My car came with the T56 when I bought it so I cant give you a before & after. Hopefully someone on here who has had both will chime in.
As for advantages, the T56 has a higher torque handling of 500 ft lbs versus the 360 ft/lbs of the 3650.
The extra overdrive gives you the opportunity to get better cruising mileage...
Here are the gear ratios of each...
T56..........2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 .80 .62
TR3650...3.38 2.00 1.32 1.00 .67

Looking at these you can see that besides the extra gear in the T56, the 1st-2nd drop in rpms is bigger in the 3650, the T56 is a closer ratio 1-4 transmission than the stocker, this is debatably a better setup for racing. If you end up going forced induction it may help you stay in the power band a bit easier, though the power band will be pretty broad anyway.
No matter what-do lots of research. It sounds like you are going to spend some money so do all you can to make sure you end up with exactly what you want, not what somebody else tells you to get because ultimately you are the one driving the car and you are the only one who needs to be pleased with it...:cool:

"run the T3650 until it grenades":rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
well I think your absolutely right about research part I got a lot to do, and as for how much I going to spend my car fund has about $2900 in there now after buying the cobra parts. And honestly this is the first time in a long while I have that kind of extra cash. and you know all my friends keep asking how i got all this extra money, I told them see what happens when you don't have a vaccum attached to your wallet aka a girlfriend, you have all this extra money laying around, lol. thanks for your opinions everyone.:wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.