Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of alienating myself from this club there is something I have to say. I am not happy with my Bullitt anymore. From the moment I saw this car at the LA auto show I knew I had to have one. I mean just look at it, the car is sweet. I have yet to meet anyone including chevy fans that did not have something nice to say about it. But I guess the fantasy has worn off because now I am left with the problems. I know this may **** alot of you off and I would just like to say that this is not my intention at all. This is just my own personal experience with no. 685. This is the first new car my wife and I have ever purchased so who knows maybe all of these problems are typical but all I know is that they should not be. I keep reading all of these articles about ford rushing to meet their production deadline and I think that is EXACTLY what they did. They rushed it. If quality were really their first priority then they would have pushed the release date back and been late but at least quality might not have suffered as much as it has, at least for my car.
Here is my little list of nightmares on my Dream Machine:
Paint chips, rough idle, non functional air vents, misaligned badge, The transmission (too many probs to list), sqeaking right rear brake, crack in left rear rotor, run in the paint, black mystery goo on inside of windshield, crooked tailpipes, melting hood insullation, stange black marks on my leather seats, diesel sound (fixed), etc, etc, etc. Trust me no one hates to say anything bad about their car more than I do. It is killing me. But no matter how much I try to ignore everything wrong with my car something else just pops up. I can't wait to see what is next. Hey at least it is under warranty. But to me that does not make it ok.
I guess I just wanted to get this off my chest and see if anyone else ever feels this way. I would have gladly waited a few more months for a more powerful, higher quality product. You cannot think that this is best that Ford can do.
Again if this makes you mad I'm sorry, but this is not my first Mustang and now contrary to my previous beliefs it won't be my last. I feel like I got a rush job.

Very disappointed
Aaron #0685

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt#0685 on 2001-08-05 12:59 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Hi Aaron,
Real sorry to hear about all the troubles. Probably would not be so bad if it were just a few but when they start adding up like that it sucks. What was up with the cracked rotor? We did not hear anything about that.
I would write everything down and put them in order of importance. IE the rotor would have been at the top of the list along with the engine noise. Some of the cosmetic stuff you may be better off taking care of yourself instead of giving it back to the dealer. As far as Ford rushing to deliver, well time is money, I think they spent about 40 minutes putting our cars together. Not bad for 40 mins, course you wonder if they would spent 50% more time that would have only been a lousy 20 minutes. Most of us can't drive to our dealer in 20 mins.

Of all the stuff you listed the one that scares me the most is the PAINT. The mechanical issues are gong to get replaced with newer and better parts, things can be cleaned and adjusted. BUT the paint! You may have to set down with the dealer and tell them why you want certain areas fixed and as long as they are there to do all of them and that you want it done right the first time. That is the one that scars me the most I think.

Transmission,,,,ah wait till it falls out, drive it. The longer you go down the road the closer you get to a brand new transmission if that is what it needs, and the newer the transmission will be when the warranty runs out. I mean if they are going to replace the trans do you want them to do it with 1000 miles or 35,000 miles on it? Other than the obvious not at all would be nice too.
Hope your luck changes for the better, and keep us informed. It will make you feel better.

I think we can get that grin back your face again!
Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2001-08-05 13:53 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I hear you.. I can understand your feelings about your car. You are correct.. Things shouldn't be this way. They should do things right in the first place. But.. like many things now time is money and the rush to get a product out the door is more important than having to worry about fixing what's wrong later. What Midlife said is right.. You should make out a list of problems.. everything that is wrong. Down to "The shift pattern on my ball isn't aligned properly" if needs be. Take it back to the dealer and tell them that you will not accept the car back until each and every one is fixed to your satisfaction.
Now that that's taken care of a few facts.. not to make you feel any better but to maybe put things in perspective. We all bought Mustangs, Not CL600 Mercedes Benz's. So, while we shouldn't have to put up with these constant fit and finish and mechanical problems they will pop up. As for the paint.. the Mustang plant has the absolute worst paint quality of any ford plant in the country. That's supposed to be fixed in a couple years but a fat lot of good it does us now.
Bottom line. I'm really sorry you're having so many troubles with your car.. I hope like hell they get tham all fixed for you. A thing like build quality shouldn't come in a ruin something you've invested so much time, money and your dreams in.
Also.. write and call you local Ford reps and make a bunch of compalint calls to Ford.

I hope it all works out for you in the end!

·
Registered
394 Posts

You mentioned a diesel noise, and that it is fixed. Can you give more detail. I beleive I have the same thing. When my car is cold if I go higher than 3000rpm the thing clatters like a diesel. Once it's warm it goes away. Doesn't seem to affect performance, but it is annoying.

I think everyone one of us has experienced an above average number of problems with our cars. I know I am a lot more passionate aobut this car than I have been about previous new cars and I think this plays a part. I notice a lot of things that I might not otherwise, because I go over the car with a fine toothed comb.

With that said, I am not impressed with the build quality of this car, which is unfortunate, because it detracts from the overall ownership experience. I bet the designers/engineers of these vehicles get as upset as we do about their pride and joy being slapped together by someone who is trying to make a quota, not a quality car.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is a "muscle" car, not a Toyota Camry, so the focus was on performance not refinemtent.

I still can't beleive the list of things you have had go wrong with your car. Some of which would definitely compromise safety.

Work with your dealer to get the problems ironed out to your satisfaction. If they are not cooperative, find a dealer that will be. Ford corporte needs to be aware of the quality they ship out the door!! I plan on addressing every issue I have with quality, because that is the only way these things are ever going to change. The sad part is the only thing Ford will respond to is money. If it costs Ford more money to fix all of the problems after the car leaves the plant than to take the time to do it right you can bet they will improve quality. It affects their bottom line!!

Eric

·
Registered
586 Posts
Those are all valid concerns for dissatisfaction, and cause to ditch it altogether. I might if I were in your shoes. I'm amazed at how poor the quality is. I try to ignore it and realize that it's not a $35-40K car. And, on the other hand, there are Subaru's that cost more than my Bullitt. I'm glad I didn't spring for a Cobra.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys I really appreciate the positive responses. I was hoping I would not get flamed. This site is so much different than the other ones I am a member of and I won't mention any names. But this site is much better.
Eric in regards to your request for more detail I was talking specifically about what others have been calling the pinging noise.
I had my computer reflashed with the latest program for our cars which is KSG02 (TSB011203). The flash cleared up my problem in that area. Others are saying it may hinder performance, but I honestly have not noticed a change. But you may want to do some investigating of your own with your local dealership to be sure.
For the other responses:
A list is just what I have made and am dropping off my baby tomorrow. I'll probably be in a loaner for while so next week will definitely be bad. The rotor is what really got me going. I owned what some people have told me was a bad Mustang a 1996 GT and did not have any where near the problems with that car as I do with this one. As a matter of fact I think the only problem I ever had with that car was a pwr steering pump replacement in four years of ownership.
I will definitely post any breaking news regarding my situation that may be able to help fellow Bullittheads in the future.
Thanks again
Aaron

1,169 Posts
Good Luck Tomorrow!!! Don't leave anything out of your list. The more problems you list the better! When the service advisor takes your car in I'm
sure it will get special attention.

Remember be nice to the service advisor...BUT give'em HELL (NICELY) :-B

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'll chime in here too. I think regardless of the amount we paid for our new cars we should get a quality product first time around. Especially a limited edition special production car like the Bullitt. Isn't it Ford's own motto that goes "Quality is Job 1" ??? Definitely take a very specific list with you of the things that need attention. Additionally take that list and your overall cocerns to the dealership general manager. So far, thank God, I haven't had any problems other than the hesitating start after the engine gets hot and possibly my engine idles a little rough. Performance fit and finish are otherwise acceptable. However, I mentioned in a different post how I only got my complete satisfaction for a botched tail-lamp install after talking directly to the GM. Believe it or not my salesman actually suggested that I speak to him. As a result I didn't have to accept a repainted bumper rather instead I got a new one off of another DHG Bullitt on the lot. Good Luck though, keep us posted and don't accept anything that you are not completely satisfied with. After all it is your money.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can concur with the quality problems! My car has been in twice for spot repaints!.Leaking windows, misalligned trunk.
And now I guess I am going to have to take it in again for a damn squeek i cant find in the front end 2000 miles and squeaks like me in the mornin! I cant believe it. I did manage to find the loose trans bolts befor they fell out shoot should have justlet them
fall out! At least i could get rid of this transmission that has more slop in it than my pigs down on the farm :smile: So dont feel alone about your car there are quite a few of us here in the same boat, I try to pretend that it isnt bad but the more that goes wrong the more i cant pretend. I dont know about u guys but i didnt buy this car for it to be on static display at the dealer. Oh yea and the water inside my headlights! If this car wasnt a Bullitt I would sell it in a minute and please forgive me but tell Ford to kiss My arse! Personally I think GM builds a higher quality product. At least my Sonoma didnt have all this crap wrong with it! A nice suggestion would be to draft a letter to Fords CEO all of us sign it and overnight it and tell him if thay cant do better than this for quality its bye bye Ford! Thanks for allowing me to vent but in no way do i want to trivialize the situation here! Because the naked truth here is that Ford didnt give a rats Arse about the quality that went into my Bullitt the car that I still love and probably always will too! Well until next time take care Havgun #1676

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nasty.. I'm in the same boat. I have been basically trouble free. Mine was a tuesday build too.

You all have me waiting for the other shoe to drop... :sad:

Brian

Bullitt #66 ... torque.. my drug of choice!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-08-06 17:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the problems with your 685. Like the guy says mechanical stuff can be fix or replaced but the paint problems forget it. Ford is worst company when comes to painting. On my 305 I got lots of flaws with my paint that I stopped counting. Ford has the worst customer satisfaction, I think GM got it beat when comes to customer satisfaction.But GM cars have problem of there own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would not accept a brand new car for as much as we all paid that had that many problems, thats not right at all. Sorry to hear about it. Mine so far has been the dream car I thought it would be, but if I had the problems you did I would be demanding my money back. This was our first car too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just bought a green bullitt #24??.(found out it is #4128) drove it 65 miles, noticed engine oil leak. ford mechanics diag. is a blown head gasket, ford is sending me a whole new engine. Also, driver door misaligned, havent driven it long enough to find out what's next? Im going to get to know some Ford mechanics very well. Ford needs to improve their Quality Assurance department. but remember the lemon law...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qacara on 2001-08-24 22:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the engine, but #24 man you got a really low number, dude

·
Registered
94 Posts
Let us all know how the replacement engine does for you #24! Good Luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry to here about all the problems but I have #2201 and have not had any of these problems.Just simply a great car!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
welcome qacara. sorry to hear of your engine problems. please keep us posted. this is a great place to share, learn, & "vent"

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm wondering how many of you that don't have problems drive with the sound system so loud you just don't hear them?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sound system?? Bullitts have a sound system other than the exhaust sound?? Where did they put that????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts