Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 08' Bullitt about 3 weeks ago. I posted a few questions RE: oil change frequency, (also the 1st one, when?), using regular gas; is that a bad thing? Really I am looking for general advice, I have owned lots of Ford cars, never a Mustang and I am a real novice on the IMBOC site. I can't even find where I asked the questions. I love my DHG #2168.

I live in the Orlando area, so it gets hot and wet in summer, winters, are wonderful. I have 615 miles on the odometer and plan to drive it as infrequently as my heart allows, garage kept. So assuming I can find my own new thread again I will gladly listen to all. I am happy to be a part of this. I believe this special edition is truly the best thing I have ever seen for the price and well beyond. I would love to drive it everyday, but then again I want this kept as new. I put a couple light coats of liquid glass on it, and use Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer and Stoner Invisible Glass on the windows, which is the best thing I have ever used on windows, try this stuff!

I have HID headlights, they are amazing; pure brilliant clean white light and the active alarm which I know nothing about, some pointers there would be nice! I can drive this thing though.

Enough now, I await any responses for maintaining it from new and on through the years. Thanks, the other Terry
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
Terry said:
I bought a new 08' Bullitt about 3 weeks ago. I posted a few questions RE: oil change frequency, (also the 1st one, when?), using regular gas; is that a bad thing? Really I am looking for general advice, I have owned lots of Ford cars, never a Mustang and I am a real novice on the IMBOC site. I can't even find where I asked the questions. I love my DHG #2168.

I live in the Orlando area, so it gets hot and wet in summer, winters, are wonderful. I have 615 miles on the odometer and plan to drive it as infrequently as my heart allows, garage kept. So assuming I can find my own new thread again I will gladly listen to all. I am happy to be a part of this. I believe this special edition is truly the best thing I have ever seen for the price and well beyond. I would love to drive it everyday, but then again I want this kept as new. I put a couple light coats of liquid glass on it, and use Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer and Stoner Invisible Glass on the windows, which is the best thing I have ever used on windows, try this stuff!

I have HID headlights, they are amazing; pure brilliant clean white light and the active alarm which I know nothing about, some pointers there would be nice! I can drive this thing though.

Enough now, I await any responses for maintaining it from new and on through the years. Thanks, the other Terry
Well mine is a daily driver and I will change the oil at 2000 then at 5000 then every 5000. I will use 5w20 Motorcraft Oil and Motorcraft Oil Filter. If my car were a garage queen I would change the oil and filter twice twice a year. I have 40 years of car servicing experience as I have always done my own service and repairs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob and Rick, this gets me started with some knowledge of the site and the oil which I got no advice on. I had a price in Orlando, but checked a Daytona dealer and bought mine sight unseen. A couple fellows delivered 4 hours after I made the purchase so no advice of any kind was given. (I got a much better deal). I haven't changed my own oil in 25 years, but I would like to. Anything unusual there Bob? And the oil you mentioned, is that the oil that comes in the car? I assume it is a synthetic?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
Terry said:
Thanks Bob and Rick, this gets me started with some knowledge of the site and the oil which I got no advice on. I had a price in Orlando, but checked a Daytona dealer and bought mine sight unseen. A couple fellows delivered 4 hours after I made the purchase so no advice of any kind was given. (I got a much better deal). I haven't changed my own oil in 25 years, but I would like to. Anything unusual there Bob? And the oil you mentioned, is that the oil that comes in the car? I assume it is a synthetic?
Terry it is recommended by Ford and is a synthetic blend and not a true full synthetic. You will hear lots of recommendations for Mobil 1 and Royal Purple and Amzoil and others. I do not run pure synthetic as I see no need to (waste of money for me), but it's up to you. I have great success running what the manufacturer says to use. Remember they designed and built the car and they know what is good for it. Besides at work, (oilfield servics) we have some Ford pickups that have over 200,000 miles on them and they use what Ford recommends at regular change intervals. They don't use oil and are on the original engines. Oilfield service is about as severe service as you can get. The main thing is change the oil and filter regularly. Your local Ford dealership would be a great place to do this service if you would rather not do it.:smile:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,432 Posts
I always take my new car/truck to the dealer for the first year for service. If there are any items that I want adjusted or looked at, I have them do it at this time. It is free and part of the warranty for the first year. Also, if the engine is painted at the factory the oil filter is a real PITA sometimes to get off for the first oil change. Otherwise, I tend to do my own service by the book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
I have my oil changed at a local shop and have them use the Motorcraft oil and filter. I have had several high mile mustangs and have never gone wrong with the factory recommended oil/filter. However my car is a daily driver and I'm not driving it like I stole it for the most part, except once in awhile. If you're going to race it etc then that's a different story, of which I have no answers :lol:

One thing that was different for me with this car is the CAI filter. It doesn't specify in the owners manual when to change the filter because the manual is written for GTs in general, which don't have CAIs. On the advice of others here I will change it every 20K miles and use the factory dry paper filter.

Otherwise, some idiosyncrasies of this car (and 05+ GTs in general) that have shown up to watch out for - your fuse box is under the hood on the passenger side, pop it open and make sure all the fuses are completely depressed in their slots. Also keep an eye on the top of your brake fluid resevoir for any leakage from the cap - this was and may still be a problem with '05+ mustangs. I'm not sure if the cap was ever re-designed or not. They were also getting routinely over filled from the factory.

The other thing is many 05+ mustangs had some problems with water leaking in the passenger side from the cowl (and other places), again not sure if this is still happening. IF it is happening you will find the padding UNDER the carpet damp or wet on the front passenger side and also check the top of your smart junction box (located under a cover on the right of the passenger foot well). Doesn't hurt to check it, there have been some '07 and '08 folks who have had this problem still, but I have not heard this from anyone with a bullitt so far. Having said all this I'm sure I'm more paranoid about this than others may be, as my '06 GT had MAJOR water leak issues.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,492 Posts
No leaks...

MustangLynda said:
I have my oil changed at a local shop and have them use the Motorcraft oil and filter. I have had several high mile mustangs and have never gone wrong with the factory recommended oil/filter. However my car is a daily driver and I'm not driving it like I stole it for the most part, except once in awhile. If you're going to race it etc then that's a different story, of which I have no answers :lol:

One thing that was different for me with this car is the CAI filter. It doesn't specify in the owners manual when to change the filter because the manual is written for GTs in general, which don't have CAIs. On the advice of others here I will change it every 20K miles and use the factory dry paper filter.

Otherwise, some idiosyncrasies of this car (and 05+ GTs in general) that have shown up to watch out for - your fuse box is under the hood on the passenger side, pop it open and make sure all the fuses are completely depressed in their slots. Also keep an eye on the top of your brake fluid resevoir for any leakage from the cap - this was and may still be a problem with '05+ mustangs. I'm not sure if the cap was ever re-designed or not. They were also getting routinely over filled from the factory.

The other thing is many 05+ mustangs had some problems with water leaking in the passenger side from the cowl (and other places), again not sure if this is still happening. IF it is happening you will find the padding UNDER the carpet damp or wet on the front passenger side and also check the top of your smart junction box (located under a cover on the right of the passenger foot well). Doesn't hurt to check it, there have been some '07 and '08 folks who have had this problem still, but I have not heard this from anyone with a bullitt so far. Having said all this I'm sure I'm more paranoid about this than others may be, as my '06 GT had MAJOR water leak issues.
I haven't had any water leaks in my Bullitt, or when I had my 07 GT. I am going to ask the service guy at my dealer about the CAI when I get my oil changed. If it is like (or actually is) a K&N filter, then it will last a very long time. K&N has a recharge kit for about $10 that cleans the filter for reuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't noticed anything unusual as yet and I spend time daily keeping it better than it looked when it was delivered. No fluid leaks or the like. Lynda you have given some really good things to check out and watch for. The manual leaves much to be desired about many things, and I know your tips would not be there, just the kind of info I am after. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
David, you mention certain things being free the first year. What things specifically? Are you referring to adjustments etc. If so would not everything be covered for 3yr/36? I have a 325ci BMW that has been my driver since I bought it new. BMW has the best warranty/service program I have ever seen, so maybe I am spoiled. 4yr/50 mi. They fix everything, even wear items. They replaced all my brakes, did not machine the old, they replaced them. Even wiper blades and oil changes are free. But fill me in a little more, I guess I will stay strictly by the book with the oil Ford recommends and let them do the service. What should an oil change cost on a Bullitt. I have never paid for an oil change on the Beamer but I think they can be $200 or so. They use a Castrol Synthetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Well being that I dare to be different my cars traditionally go the Mobil One route. I did the first oil change on my Bullitt (using Motorcraft oil and filter) at 1k miles and am getting ready to do number two. For this oil change, however, I'll be switching over to Mobil One oil with a Ford Racing filter. Is it a waste of money? Very probably but I've used Mobil One oil in all of my cars and trucks since college. I've had good success with it and I'm ok with spending the extra bucks.

In terms of BB2008's comments regarding the CAI element its my understanding that the filter element in our intakes is paper. As such I don't believe its possible to re-charge it like they do with the K&N filters. I spoke to a buddy at a local Ford dealership who told me that Ford recommended changing them every 20k miles. Given that I live in dusty Arid-zona I suspect I'll change mine much sooner. One challenge I'm seeing right now is finding a replacement filter. My buddy at the dealership can order them for me but I've not yet found an aftermarket replacement paper cone filter. Oh well... I suppose that since my car is only at 4200 miles I've got a little time till I need to swap it out. :smile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Synthetic is where I thought I should go since my 2005 Ci BMW requires an oil change every 15,000 miles, I know that sounds crazy, but that is all I have done with 46,000 on it since I bought it. BMW uses a Castrol synthetic; it is done free and I have had zero issues with the car. But I guess the Ford recommended oil as was mentioned above is being used in fleet vehicles under very harsh oil field conditions with great results, so that statement and post pretty much sold me on sticking with Ford's recommendations. Thanks Bob, nice picture!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing nobody has addressed: The octane issue, I know it is supposedly fine to use regular and the engine's sensors detect octane and adjust for it. Is this a bad idea? If I really start driving my car more it may become an issue and if there is not some ill effect that will result, why not?

One more thing, I am just full of questions! What advantage do larger wheels/tires bring to any vehicle? And with a 3.73/1 rear-end does that mean the engine does 3.73 rotations to one rotation of the rear wheels in 1st. If I am right; what is the ratio in 5th gear? Why did McQueen double clutch during the mid range shifting? Was that necessary on a 68, and if so is there any reason for such a thing on a new Bullitt? Well, I guess that was one question with many subsets.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,432 Posts
Octane rating: If it's not pinging, it does not need a higher grade to prevent preignition. The car can sense pinging and adjust for it in thousnds of a second.
Driving: Imho, cars are meant to be driven. Driving is good for them and keeps fresh gas in the tank! Which is also good for them!
McQueen?: That was a sound track from a Ford GT40 race car, not the 68 390 GT you were listening to. When the 68 is driven away from the car wash parking lot just before the chase, your are listening to the Mustang!

I'll let someone else address the ration and tire issue. It is a good idea to keep the tires' circumference about the same as stock. Not imperative, but a good idea. Some people like a lot of meat on their tires, and wider wheels. Do what you like. Just don't mess your car up by going too large.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,355 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
It will not hurt to run 87 in the '08. I use 87 most of the time. I've got 5600 miles on the car and have only run 93 three times.

3.73 means the driveshaft will turn 3.73 times to one revolution of the rear wheel. This is true for 4th gear (transmission ratio if 1:1). It would be less in fifth gear.
Charles,

You are driving that Bullitt.

5,600 Miles on it already.

Well, it was made to be driven.

Terry
 

·
Charles
Joined
·
13,307 Posts
tigerhonaker said:
Charles,

You are driving that Bullitt.

5,600 Miles on it already.

Well, it was made to be driven.

Terry
Absolutely meant to be driven. I need to do some maintenance on the '01 and I will start driving it two or three days each week. That will help keep the miles down. That and I just miss driving it. I really don't want to average more than 1000 miles per month. Nats is going to eat up 3000 miles this summer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
307 Posts
I've noticed a few drops of brake fluid on top of the reservoir also. I've wiped them off and wiped the inside of the cap dry. I have a feeling there was a little too much fluid in the res. from the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bullitt 736 said:
Absolutely meant to be driven. I need to do some maintenance on the '01 and I will start driving it two or three days each week. That will help keep the miles down. That and I just miss driving it. I really don't want to average more than 1000 miles per month. Nats is going to eat up 3000 miles this summer.
I agree. All cars are meant to be driven, and some are meant to be driven and admired, and some are meant to be just admired period. I just want to find the right balance so I can have my cake and eat it too. This is not car that should just sit, but a single bug hitting the windshield at 70 mph hurts me, I need psychological help, perhaps there is a Bullitt obsessive/compulsive disorder group that deals with such disorders. I am sure part of the therapy would involve driving my car down a dusty road in Texas at high speeds after a mosquito hatch, followed by allowing the car to sit in the hot sun and watching the bugs bake right into the clear-coat. Anyone want to join, I know there are some out there, be honest!
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top