Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they put it in a CS GT and saw only 8 HP gain with the Ford tune. I am surprised that is all it did with a tune to it, I could see 8 hp with only the install but not with a tune too. Nice thing is that it is CARB approved so the Calif guys can get one that doesn't violate their emissions there.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
The FRPP tune?

It shows I guess that the factory tune we have is a little more than just a 'CAI tune' as some others have suggested.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
I just bought that issue so I'll try to find that write - up.

Remember the new Bullitts hve a lot more going for them than a simple Cold Air Intake. That said FRPP tune or not - 8 hp from a stock GT seems like a pretty good gain to me.

Besides the freer flowing exhaust - I seem to recall that Ford's engineers did some work on the engine too to allow that 250 RPM increase.

While I'm sure a stock Mustang GT would see nice improvments with a 3.73:1 rearend, a Cat-back exhaust, a cold air intake and a programmer. But having driven my fair share of Stock GTs I'm not sure they'd will ever be equal to a Bullitt without some more serious tinkering.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
8hp to the wheels I'm assuming???

That's right at the advertised 15hp gain at the engine for our Bullitts.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
jymontoya said:

Accounting for drivline losses - yes the number sounds about right. But my point is I doubt the Cold Air Inmtake alone will give a common GT what it needs to go toe to toe with a Bullitt.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jymontoya said:

Yes, it was RWHP. Which as you said is about right given only a 15HP difference from a stock GT. It is doubtful that the Bullitt exhaust gives much since they claim the 197 exhaust is pretty good just the way it comes...why most of the upgrades only really change the sound but not much if any for HP increase. The biggest difference from the regular GT will be the gears they gave the Bullitt. That helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Again a cold air kit dosn't make a Bullitt.

Powertrain
• 4.6-liter, 3-valve SOHC V-8; 315 horsepower
• Tremec RT-3650 5-speed manual transmission
• Signature Bullitt exhaust sound
• New open-element cold air induction system & hood blanket with AIS seal
• High performance calibration
• Dual knock strategy enabling the vehicle to run on either regular unleaded or premium (for improved performance)
• Crisper throttle response
• Revised cam timing at peak power
• Redline increased by 250 RPM to 6500 RPM
• 3.73:1 axle ratio

And thats just the engine/drive train of course. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Bret08 said:
Again a cold air kit dosn't make a Bullitt.

Powertrain
• 4.6-liter, 3-valve SOHC V-8; 315 horsepower
• Tremec RT-3650 5-speed manual transmission
• Signature Bullitt exhaust sound
• New open-element cold air induction system & hood blanket with AIS seal
• High performance calibration
• Dual knock strategy enabling the vehicle to run on either regular unleaded or premium (for improved performance)
• Crisper throttle response
• Revised cam timing at peak power
• Redline increased by 250 RPM to 6500 RPM
• 3.73:1 axle ratio

And thats just the engine/drive train of course. ;)
Another reason why I chose the 08 Bullitt over keeping my 07 GT and modding it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Gears...

That would be because they still lack the gear advantage of the Bullitt...

Bret08 said:
Accounting for drivline losses - yes the number sounds about right. But my point is I doubt the Cold Air Inmtake alone will give a common GT what it needs to go toe to toe with a Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Black GT500 said:
That would be because they still lack the gear advantage of the Bullitt...
Ok lets throw a 3.73:1 rear-end in there with the cold air intake and while it might be closer - it still ain't a Bullitt.

Don't get me wrong - I think we'll all agree a base Mustang GT is pretty good as it is and there’s lots of aftermarket stuff to make it better. But most folks won't go much farther than slapping a cold air intake and ain't going to go digging in their pockets for the added expense of a 3.73:1 gear set.

Granted it's a pretty cheap mod if you're a real gear head capable of doing the work yourself. But I suspect in that case - that they'd probably opt for other ways to improve their Mustang GT and that said mods would surpass a the basic Bullitt.

I'm just saying.....

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't post this due to not knowing the difference between a GT and a Bullitt, I just found the article interesting. Sorry I brought it up.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Frankenstang said:
I didn't post this due to not knowing the difference between a GT and a Bullitt, I just found the article interesting. Sorry I brought it up.
Why be sorry? I appreciate you posting it, I'm sure everyone else does too.

The rest of the discussion is normal don't you think? Especially when you consider the banter on other boards from some who constantly say the Bullitt is nothing more than a GT with CAI and tune.
If people can't discuss it here, then where?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
RCSignals said:
Why be sorry? I appreciate you posting it, I'm sure everyone else does too.

The rest of the discussion is normal don't you think? Especially when you consider the banter on other boards from some who constantly say the Bullitt is nothing more than a GT with CAI and tune.
If people can't discuss it here, then where?
Oh yee of little faith. :cry:

I’ll agree we here on the IMBOC are a much more civil group than some forums I’ve been in. But come on as an owner you should know that our Bullitts are a much more than a common GT with a “CAI & a tune”.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Bret08 said:
Oh yee of little faith. :cry:

I’ll agree we here on the IMBOC are a much more civil group than some forums I’ve been in. But come on as an owner you should know that our Bullitts are a much more than a common GT with a “CAI & a tune”.
I know the difference. Many others don't and such discussions on other boards haven't gone so well. We should be able to discuss these things here without any upset.

Maybe I misunderstood Frankenstang's post, I thought he was upset with the comments to his OP

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
RCSignals said:
I know the difference. Many others don't and such discussions on other boards haven't gone so well. We should be able to discuss these things here without any upset.

Maybe I misunderstood Frankenstang's post, I thought he was upset with the comments to his OP
I agree 100% - that Frankenstang has absolutely nothing to apologize for. Likewise I wasn't aware anybody was upset. Least ways I wasn't.

If someone thought I was - I promise to use more smiley faces. ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm not sure where this apologizing and talking about apologizing is coming from?

I thought the thread was going along just fine...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Good article!The larger gains will probably be realized on the highway when the Bullitt specific CAI which is just that a true CAI not an underhood heat intake injests ambient air only.
Now for those wanting to upgrade to add the Bullitt specific underhood blanket to help with the sealing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts