Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Mustang Bullitt with 58k

Last Friday she wouldn't start up. No biggie, have yet to replace stock battery...so I figured that was it even though all the accessories were coming up and I heard her try to turn over.

Today I replace the stock battery and terminals, check all connections and no start. Call Father In-Law and he tells me how to bypass the ignition system using a piece of wire on the starter. Still no start...wish he had been here because he would have said it didn't need to be replaced. Too late...I already started taking it off before a buddy came over to help with the install. Same noise and same result.

We pulled out a coil pack and tried to get it to make the spark plug arc and got nothing.

NEED HELP BIG TIME! I'M ABOUT TO HAVE IT TOWED TO THE DEALER IF I CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT IN A DAY OR SO!

Thanks in advance for whatever I get...ridicule included.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is it cranking over? The first part of you thread made it sound like it isn't cranking over but later you were checking for spark wich you won't have unless it's cranking over. What kind of sound is it making? You also said you replaced the terminals, did you cut off the factory battery cable terminals and replace them?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
make sure your "theft" light is not flashing when you turn the key to start. if it is, try your other key(s) to see if it will start then. could be it is in "patslock" mode, and the car won't start with the key you are using. beyond that, i dunno.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Also try the fuel pump reset switch located in the trunk.

This would cause the car to crank and crank but not catch as a result of no fuel being delivered.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealership results are in...

1) Yes, same key I normally use. Still have factory set (2).

2) Turns out it was turning over and I didn't exactly know what that entailed. My information about shorting across the solenoid was a bit inaccurate...now knowing that the old starter and the new one turned the engine all the same.

3) Checked the theft light, cutt-off switch and disconnected the alarm to no change in results.

4) Did not try the fuel cutt-off switch in the trunk. Do you have a picture or diagram of where that is in case I need it in the future?

Dealership towed her away and called back 4 hours later to inform me that the "camshaft position sensor" had gone bad. Apparently this is a common 4.6L issue under certain circumstances (says friend of co-worker that is a hot rod mechanic). They have to take out the compressor to get to it on the back side of the engine. Probably $450-$500 before all is said and done.

The nearest sound theory to the one that ending up being true...was that the main ground wire had gone bad. Heard from 2 different people that they've seen cars not start because the ground cable had just gotten brittle in the middle of the cable and shown no signs of corrosion.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well,.....although your Dealer said this was a common problem on 4.6's, I have personally NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE!

I have NEVER seen anything posted on this Board or any other Mustang Board that I visit concerning this.

Strange........or, is it? **GRIN**

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealership just wants the change...

Actually the dealer didn't say it was common...friend of a friend did. I think the guy is a mechanic at a local shop or a dealership.

I'd never heard of it either. I have a bud with 188k on his 4.6 F-150...he's gone through 3 clutchs, but never this part.

Not sure...but I'm definitely going to ask the friend of a friend how he knew this was the problem before the dealer did.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
With the information you have given, I REALLY believe you have been taken by this "Dealer".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cam and crank sensors do go out on these engines, not real common but it does happen. Mid Life Crisis is right about the crank sensor bieng the one by the AC compressor. The crank sensor only cost .7 of an hour labor to replace and the cam sensor is .4 hour to replace. With diagnoses charge on top of that and parts it should only be about 250.00.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hosed

I did get hosed on the diagnosis charge...$100! Those diagnostic computers must be coated in platinum.

And I thought I'd see a pic on the Bullitt Archive showing the one by the power steering fluid bottle...didn't know this one was there until they told me it was bad.

On a side note... It seems that they can't keep Fusions or Hybrids on the lot at the local Ford dealership. Only two Fusions and zero Escape Hybrids. Now that I think about it, I think they only had 2 Escapes left as well. It is crazy what these dealers want for customized Mustangs...I saw one with ZERO performance mods for 39k!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
We charge 69.95 for diag at our dealership but we are a small town compared to Houston so $100 sounds resonable for your area. The testers are expensive and Ford is now charging us for the updates, before they were free to the dealers. Diag isn't just pulling codes like everyone thinks. You have to run tests on the wiring and sensors and other tests depending on what the problem is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts