Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
We may have a Mustang III in our future! Mustang 3, bordom 0. (remember those ads) :lol: :lol:

I say when this happens, our 2001 values go through the roof! (one can always dream) :smile:

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
As Yogi Berra used to say

This is like Dea Vu all over again!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Greg: I thought the same thing when I read about the new CAFE laws. History repeats itself, like in the 70's smog rules than the gas shortage. Those times were bad for the car enthusiast like us. I don't want to experience that again, but what can we do about it? I belomg to a car club (My Other Car) that keeps up on new laws that affect older cars, smog etc. in Calif. and write letters, but thats a different issue. Ron

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
The Bullitt is already built, and so will the next Stang of performance. But this is a performance issue. I guess the manufacturers are going along with it because it is about gasoline. They apparently see a light at the end of the tunnel. DON'T USE GASOLINE!

7,020 Posts
Twin Turbo Diesel

Don't worry Banks Performance will have a twin turbo diesel soon that will slove all our high performance problems !

on your six ... DHG 1005

·
Registered
803 Posts
I do see this as killing the muscle car... sad thing is that the gov't is expecting Ford and other companies to meet these requirements without any aid. Ford is going to lose a ton of money and I could see jobs getting cut b/c of this also... good call, Gov't. Did you guys know that there is no scientific evidence behind global warming? They are all just theories. My professors brought this up and other scientists have talked about this too. This is just the gov't playing off the fears of the Americans and making stupid bills in the process...

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Uh, well, actually, there is plenty of scientific evidence to support global warming, but let's not get into a debate here.

The Big 3 are going to have to invest R&D dollars into making more fuel efficient engines. I honestly believe that a V-8 could meet the new 35 MPG requirement with some smart engineering.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, we agree to disagree then and discuss some other time... I think you'd be interested to hear what I was hearing about it.

Anyways, it will take a lot of R&D dollars... money we know that the big 3 do not have... it will be interesting to see what happens.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This blows. The people who passed it blow.

·
Registered
722 Posts
2020 is long ways away, by then cars might be using the (hopefully) all mighty fuel cell :).

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here in lies the problem. The new requirements are for ALL cars, trucks and SUVs. So if Ford makes a Super Duty that gets only 20 MPG they have to offset it with cars that make 40-45 MPG. So which way do they go. Sacrifice some fuel mileage for trucks or muscle cars??? Which one do they sell more of? Not hard to see which road they will take. It needed to be done but don't have to like it.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I guess that law suite that the big three and also including Toyota, Honda and some Euro brands to stop this bill failed.

I read an article that the car companies tried to tell congress and the white house that they have just about gotten every MPG out of the otto cycle engine they can and will get.

But as youngster I remember the same thing happening unpopular war, cool muscle cars then all sudden emssions, insurance companies freaking out on high performance cars, and lastly the fuel shortage of the 70s and then the 80s..... Then over night, NO More high performance cars. Only big bumpered, under powered buckets.

In 1974 the Mustang didn't even have a V8 engine offered.

I will also say we are in for some bad times if history is to repeat it self..... Run way Inflation, no jobs....

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Hi Guys,
There is still plenty of time to get the car/cars you want before the bottom drops out. Save 'em for special driving days rather than daily drivers.

Yeah, 1971 all over again. It's coming.

I think the new CAFE requirements are the governments way of copping out. This is NOT the solution to the energy problem.

Price gasoline at $5 or $6 per gallon (as it is elsewhere in the world) and we will see new kinds of daily drivers come to the market much faster.

We have just barely begun to do serious research in solar, wind and other forms of energy.

As things are now, if we are suddenly cut off from our supply of middle-east oil we will have no meaningful way to cope with it. Petroleum reserves will be gone or available only in limited amounts within the next thirty or forty years. We can't keep going as we are now. Our current methods are not sustainable.

I am with John McElroy. Add a large tax to gasoline and use the funds for research and for tax credits for solar and wind technology that we can install on our homes now.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Chicken Little Said It Best!!!
"THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING!!!"

·
Registered
803 Posts
I wouldn't mind using solar power and such. But as some have said, we are only beginning to really breakthrough with it. Problem is, the gov't cut out the part of the bill that gives tax credits to people that get that stuff in their house... so basically, we are supposed to spend a crapload of money we don't have to upgrade our homes and such and we get no reward for it. Some states provide tax credits for it, but I don't think Indiana does. Fitting your house with solar power is NOT cheap at all. But, you may make it up in some years with energy savings.

Stuff needs to change, but this is a band-aid if anything. They are even saying that you must get rid of incandescent light bulbs!

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
wally05 said:
I wouldn't mind using solar power and such. But as some have said, we are only beginning to really breakthrough with it. Problem is, the gov't cut out the part of the bill that gives tax credits to people that get that stuff in their house... so basically, we are supposed to spend a crapload of money we don't have to upgrade our homes and such and we get no reward for it. Some states provide tax credits for it, but I don't think Indiana does. Fitting your house with solar power is NOT cheap at all. But, you may make it up in some years with energy savings.

Stuff needs to change, but this is a band-aid if anything. They are even saying that you must get rid of incandescent light bulbs!
Sure get rid of the light bulbs that work! Flouescent lamps have mercury. Now that's a real enviormentally friendly substance! Want forever lights that don't burn out? Buy LED lamps. Only $100.00 for a 60 watt house lamp!:eek:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Hi Guys,
There is still plenty of time to get the car/cars you want before the bottom drops out. Save 'em for special driving days rather than daily drivers.

Yeah, 1971 all over again. It's coming.

I think the new CAFE requirements are the governments way of copping out. This is NOT the solution to the energy problem.

Price gasoline at $5 or $6 per gallon (as it is elsewhere in the world) and we will see new kinds of daily drivers come to the market much faster.

We have just barely begun to do serious research in solar, wind and other forms of energy.

As things are now, if we are suddenly cut off from our supply of middle-east oil we will have no meaningful way to cope with it. Petroleum reserves will be gone or available only in limited amounts within the next thirty or forty years. We can't keep going as we are now. Our current methods are not sustainable.

I am with John McElroy. Add a large tax to gasoline and use the funds for research and for tax credits for solar and wind technology that we can install on our homes now.
So here's the picture.......You have just installed your personal,$$$ expensive wind generator on the roof of your house.... The wind is blowing nicely,generating all that "free" current and you watch it proudly spin faster and faster,while sipping that nice cold COOR'S Light beer you earned for putting that thing up.
THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN it comes to an instant stop!!! Oh no! What could it be? You run into the house to see your lovely wife had just turned on the microwave oven!
They draw enough amps to stop a gas generator in it's tracks!

·
Quest for single digits
12,030 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Hi Guys,

As long as they use the tax revenue for what it was intended. Too many times a tax is introduced to fix "x and y" but the funds never seem to make it there or just a very small portion. I believe it was around 1940 a tax was introduced to help offset the costs of WWII. It was to be a temporary tax called INCOME TAX and it was temporary. How long is temporary? I do believe the war ended a long, long time ago.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
You had to have seen this coming. It's not the current crop of muscle cars that will ultimately cause the extinction, it's the horsepower wars among regular vehicles. It's the SUV that needs to seat 8, needs to weigh in at 3 tons just to be accepted, and absolutely has to have 325 hp just to get out of it's own way. It's the diesel pickup truck that somehow got involved in a horsepower war, where torque used to be all that mattered. It was our own doing, we had to have biggger, faster, and heavier everyday vehicles.

Out of the darkness, in 2025 will emerge a new Mustang. One sporting a 205hp 4.1 liter V8 and weighing just 2950lbs. Mated to 8-speed automatic, and a 2.73 limited slip rear end, it will run 145mph, turn low 14's in the quarter-mile and still knock down 37mpg highway. Rogue magazine writers will pick up this amazing little car on and start doing minor modifications putting them into the 13's, something that hasn't been seen out of a new car in 10+ years. Chevrolet will try to compete, and we can start this game all over again :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts