Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. anyone on this site seen this process before? I did one for my 2015 Black Magic will do one for my BULLITT.. an 85mm Acrylic clock face is perfect. The decals are reversed and applied to the inside (centered of course) then several light coats of gloss black! A simple 1” round Velcro stuck to the current cap and the inside of the finished cap .... voila new look!! Hers my old one and coming soon....effort! I’ll post pics and links if interested?

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
it's your car, do what you want with it.
i have been certified for working on air bags for a LONG time, currently certified by VW Mazda GM and I-Car. i attended my first air bag training class in 1982. i myself would refuse to even drive this car. if i read this correctly you are placing a cap over your DS air bag and holding it on with velcro. this is modifying your air bag. if that air bag deploys it has potential to throw this cap directly at your face at significant speed to do some serious damage to your face, possibly damage your eyes or maybe something worse.
if you read your owners manual there are warnings to never put ANYTHING on your air bags.

as i posted earlier it's your car do what you want with it.

I STRONGLY ADVISE ANYONE READING THIS TO NOT DO IT.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's your car, do what you want with it.
i have been certified for working on air bags for a LONG time, currently certified by VW Mazda GM and I-Car. i attended my first air bag training class in 1982. i myself would refuse to even drive this car. if i read this correctly you are placing a cap over your DS air bag and holding it on with velcro. this is modifying your air bag. if that air bag deploys it has potential to throw this cap directly at your face at significant speed to do some serious damage to your face, possibly damage your eyes or maybe something worse.
if you read your owners manual there are warnings to never put ANYTHING on your air bags.

as i posted earlier it's your car do what you want with it.

I STRONGLY ADVISE ANYONE READING THIS TO NOT DO IT.
So please tell us ...in what direction does the actual pony cap travel when the air bag is deployed? Straight into your face? Or does it travel in mili seconds to the right of the driver?. If the bag deploys do we have a pony in our face? Pls advise the science and travel direction of the Ford horn cap.. ie: does it not hinge from the right side and deploy at speed...to the right of the driver?
What happens to drivers hands that are positioned at the 12 o’clock location?? In their head! Passenger feet on dash..knees in their skull, Ive seen the pictures ! I’ll wait!

·
Registered
342 Posts
So please tell us ...in what direction does the actual pony cap travel when the air bag is deployed? Straight into your face? Or does it travel in mili seconds to the right of the driver?. If the bag deploys do we have a pony in our face? Pls advise the science and travel direction of the Ford horn cap.. ie: does it not hinge from the right side and deploy at speed...to the right of the driver?
What happens to drivers hands that are positioned at the 12 o’clock location?? In their head! Passenger feet on dash..knees in their skull, Ive seen the pictures ! I’ll wait!
the OEM pony cap is molded into the air bag vinyl. on the bottom edge it's not that strong of a bond and there is a tear line around the emblem. on the top of the emblem there is about 1/2" added thicker added material to hold the emblem from flying into your face. because of the added material the air bag emblem stays attached, it doesn't fly anywhere, to the air bag vinyl during deployment. there is a built in tear line in the air bag cover where it's designed to tear when the air bag deploys. it tears in a H pattern to let the inside fabric expand.
the factory spends MILLIONS on MILLIONS of $$$ designing them. and they still didn't think of everything that could happen ( see tasca air bag recall) any time you place something over the top of them it alters them possibly reducing their effectiveness. there is the exact same warnings in your owners manual about this.

as for the drivers hands they are forced away from the wheel during deployment. that's why they tell you in the owners manual to always hold your hands at 10 and 2 positions. there are depressions built into the air bag fabric to minimize the force in that area. NEVER place your hands on the inside of the steering wheel. there have been examples of people getting compound fractures. if your hand is at the 12 position your arm will be forced off towards the roof/ side window area because it's attached to your shoulder.
as far as leg damages from air bags when you put your feet over the passenger air bag. see the first pic of the larger woman with the bluer jeans and dark top. it looks like both of her hip sockets were disjointed or her thigh bones were snapped in 2. see how her legs are not straight and actually bent to neg angles past straight. here are a few for you. https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=leg+damages+from+people+putting+their+legs+on+the+air+bags&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiTtsrJ0PTpAhX9RjABHW8ZCdsQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1366&bih=654

the burns in the pics are from what powers the air bags. there are a couple small grains of solid rocket fuel inside your air bag. when they are ignited to expand the air bags they sometimes leave slightly burned body parts behind. if you follow directions in your owners manual chances of being burned are significantly reduced.

like i said before. if you want to do this go right ahead. i am just letting you know what might happen to you.

if you want to watch how air bags deploy see you tube. those 1 min videos are slow motion. the actual time for a air bag to deploy is less than 1/10 of a second

·
Registered
342 Posts
a minor correction.
the air bags on mustangs are round. so when they deploy they tear in a reverse pie cut pattern, narrow in the center by emblem much wider at the outer edge, not a H pattern.
the H cut pattern usually happens on a rectangular shaped air bag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts