Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my clutch after only 38,000 miles. I say only, because with my previous cars I have got over 100k on them before I had to replace the clutch.

Anyway, what’s the most recommended way of going about this repair?

I don’t know anything about clutch replacements and options with Mustangs. I did some reading, and talked to some people, and most seem to suggest an upgrade with a SPEC Stage 1 Clutch. Other questions have popped up such as the flywheel. Should I go ahead and replace and or upgrade it also?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Look to Centerforce. After what they have done for Justin, we owe them (not to mention they have a great product).

·
Registered
429 Posts
id also be interested in this subject......i love the feel of the stock clutch but i also wouldnt mind upgrading. Is there any aftermarket clutches that would give that same feel or close?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have to say Centerforce as well.

I had the Centerforce dual friction clutch on my car before it was stolen and it felt stock and drove that way too.

After it was recovered, I now have a Spec Stage 2 and the pedal effort is twice what it was and I have some "chatter" as well. Supposedly it will handle more power.....

I wish I would have just put another Centerforce clutch in there.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Thanks to Centerforce and others, another Bullitt will live a new life.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really need to stop and read what I’ve just typed before I post.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Where’s the best place to order a centerforce clutch, JEGS?
Do I need to get pressure plates?
I hear it’s recommended that I go ahead and get a flywheel when replacing the clutch, so if a frpp billet steel flywheel is the recommended one to go with, who sells those?

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I too recommend the Centerforce DF Clutch (our Bullitts take the 11" Clutch and the 6 bolt Flywheel if you are going to replace that). Use a Steeda Double Hook Quadrant with the Steeda Firewall Adjuster and the Stock Cable and you will be HAPPY!

The pressure plate comes with the Centerforce Kit (about 350-400 for the Kit depending on where you buy it - shop around!). Average install price is about 200-250 depending on where you go. Again - Call around!

This is the one you want:
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit Part #: C78DF800075
11” Diameter - 1/16” 10 Spline – Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate

I had 57,000 miles on my stock clutch/flywheel. I did not replace the flywheel, only resurfaced it. Everything working fine now that I got rid of that POS T-3650 tranny and went with the T56.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got the Centerforce from Summitracing.com, last December (cheapest I could find at the time). The Dual Friction clutch # CTF-DF800075 was $310, the Throwout bearing # CTF-N1714 was $35, and the alignment tool # CTF-52010 was $7. You also need to replace the pilot bearing/bushing (?) while you're in there, but I couldn't find the part # at Summit, so I picked that up someplace else. As for the flywheel, whoever puts it in should be able to tell you if it just needs re-surfaced or replaced, just like brake rotors when they are worn.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
I had the Spec 1. Stiff and loads of chatter. I now have the Centerforce DF. Very soft pedal.

My recommendation:
Centerforce DF clutch and pressure plate
Good quality throw-out bearing ($35)
Pilot bearing ($10)
Resurface flywheel (if you are stock - billet if high HP) ($35-50)
Steeda quadrant and adjuster (keep the stock cable - if stretched replace with stock) ($50-75)
Ball stud (for clutch fork) ($10)
Inspect clutch fork and replace as necessary ($40)
Inspect TOB collar on transmission for wear (replace if necessary)

I bought my Centerforce clutch, PP and TOB set-up here www.dagostinoracing.com I think I paid $325 shipped (Florida to Houston)

SUPPORT CENTERFORCE

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Summitracing is 315.88 (as previously stated) plus 10.95 handling, free shipping also (UPS Ground).

Still undecided about the flywheel.

Jeff, 736, thanks for the part numbers, and list of things to check and or consider. Big help.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Does anyone offer a 2003-2004 Cobra-type aluminum flywheel (or at least I think the Cobra factory flywheel was aluminum) for our 6-bolt crankshaft?

Seems like a real sensible easy HP mod (???)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts