Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with John and testing the new 4 inch dia. Densecharger system for a week. Dyno tests comparing this to the original 3 inch setup were in error,for same day testing. However comparing my best test from 2 weeks ago with the 3 inch showed a best of 229.2 HP,WITH NO ADDITIONAL AIR focused at the filter. The 4 inch showed a best of 235.5 WITH THE LEAF BLOWER. We tested the 3 inch,today with it sitting in the engine bay,so as not to waste time disassembling the inner fender mounted 4 inch. In theory,the engine shouldn't know the difference. But a slight bend or kink in the factory intake flex hose was discovered,giving incorrect low power results with the 3 inch setup. Will retest. However the 4 inch does feel stronger at 4500 RPM than the 3 inch. The 3 inch feels stronger at 2500 to 3500 RPM. Other engine mods,and the Cobra may like the 4 inch better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-08-15 15:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks very much for all the help and the insight in simulating the airflow with the leafblower. I wonder what the HP will show when it's a winter breeze?

·
Registered
393 Posts
did you run the leaf blower through the foglight hole with just the stock airbox/paper filter/silencer setup to see if it increased from the 227 with some simulated airflow??

I'm just trying to decide if we're comparing apples to apples. I don't see how the test is fair if you only ran the leaf blower on the aftermarket setup? Maybe you did and I missed it in the post?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JB,my stock filter box was modified slightly,with an adapater used to connect to a 5 inch dia. hose.This was part of the March ram air kit. I didn't have that hose with me at the time,but we did have an indirect flow of air around it,to simulate it's position in the fender. Next dyno session will include that setup as well. However,when I ran the car for the first time,I had the ram-air functioning thru the fog light hole,best ET and MPH was 14.10 at 99.7,spinning of course. From the results,I assumed the ram air effect was not working as much,since it was no quicker than most Bullitts.The ram-air advantage should show up in slightly higher trap speeds.It did collect more bugs than I liked,where as the Densecharger setup doesn't as much. When testing these bolt-ons,there are so many little variables,like heat soak in the engine/manifold,during dyno runs,traction problems at the track,it makes it difficult to determine small gains. Now I need to determine what air speed the leaf blower was giving,to compare to actual road speed!!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I would like to purchase one of the two diameters you've tested. It's hard determining which one to buy. It sounds like they'll both work great. But do I want more at 3500 rpm or 4500 rpm. It sounds like alot of people like the 3 inch pipe but ounce people start installing the 4 inch system they'll think its better. But as we all now bigger isn't always better its the right match for our engines that matters which could very well be the 4 inch diameter. Any comments, I really want one of the two.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm going to have a new system upgrade available to all my customers. This will only be available to my past customers. the upgrade will be $39.00, excluding freight, and would give the customer 4 distinct tuning variables. the upgrade will consist of the new 4" system (complete) and will come with an adapter to allow using the same K&N for both systems. The drawback is that the adapter reduces the air entry diameter with the new system. The R&D on the new system indicates that this isn't adversely affecting the new system. Since this is about the biggest filter you can fit in the fender I wanted to retain its use.

I didn't want to build a new system which would make the old one obsolete. It works well! I wanted to evolve the system as far as it could be evolved to offer every tuning choice possible.
You guys have made it possible to keep this thing going and enabling me to make improvements.
It will be a while before the new system and the upgrade kits are ready.
With 4 tuning choices you would really be able to taylor length and diameter to what suits your engine during different periods of the year.

·
Registered
959 Posts
JP.. great! I like the idea of larger ID for improved high end flow where my car would spend a lot of it's time on the race track at WOT.

Let us know when the upgrade is ready. Put me down for one.

Brian

·
Registered
102 Posts
The new system will be going on a Cobra this week. The gentleman with the Cobra has an extensive racing background. It's customers like him and MUS 408 who can really analyze subtle differences. I put more stock in how it works on the road. How does it feel between shifts? Where is the torque gain? Does it breathe better at high RPM? I'll verify on the Cobra if the loss of torque is worth the improved top end.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year Cobra is that John? It will be intresting to see how the Bazooka Pipe works at higher RPM! Oh,and don't forget that leaf blower!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts