Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I’m not sure what is normal and what isn’t, so I’m hoping to get some feedback.
I’m about to send the Bullitt in to the dealer on Monday for its first service and do a thorough examination of the engine for the growing clattering noise.

I checked the oil at 1,000 miles and the oil level was just a hair below the top full mark.
I just checked it again at 2,400 miles and the level is now sitting right on the bottom mark on the dipstick. Basically at the “add” mark.
How much oil does that represent?
Is that a high consumption during a motor break-in period? It seems excessive.
Any feedback appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
The add mark is usually one quart. Not out of limits for 2400 miles. I would top it off back to full. Motorcraft 5W20 You want it full when you bring it in. Tell them how much you added. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The add mark is usually one quart. Not out of limits for 2400 miles. I would top it off back to full. Motorcraft 5W20 You want it full when you bring it in. Tell them how much you added. Good luck.
Thank you! I topped it off, and it actually only took a hair over half a quart, so not as bad as I thought. 😉
I’ll update on how the service and checkup went.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey guys!
I’m not sure what is normal and what isn’t, so I’m hoping to get some feedback.
I’m about to send the Bullitt in to the dealer on Monday for its first service and do a thorough examination of the engine for the growing clattering noise.

I checked the oil at 1,000 miles and the oil level was just a hair below the top full mark.
I just checked it again at 2,400 miles and the level is now sitting right on the bottom mark on the dipstick. Basically at the “add” mark.
How much oil does that represent?
Is that a high consumption during a motor break-in period? It seems excessive.
Any feedback appreciated! Thanks!

Do you have an oil catch can? Maybe a good time to purchase one so you will have an idea of your usage.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Do you have an oil catch can? Maybe a good time to purchase one so you will have an idea of your usage.
Hello Stephen, great to see you back in a Bullitt.

I think owners of the '19 should consider an "oil catch can" due to high compression that can create greater "blow by". Just be sure to discuss this with you dealers service department. Some dealership will view the catch can as you altered the engine and will void your warranty. Others, "have a brain" and may even recommend it. My local dealer (in Kannapolis) not only recommends them but will also empty and clean them out during servicing. Just be careful. You don't want one of those "lame brained" dealership voiding your warranty. :frown2:

This is the same issue that the ECOBOOST owners ran into where the boost created "blow by" that fouled out plugs and created carbon build up. Simple solution was an oil catch can. But, then again, some owner ran into push back from the "lame brained" dealerships.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Ford performance already has some "catch cans," oil separators, for some models.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My opinion is that you shouldn't be burning any oil between changes. I have owned many brand new Mustangs over the years and not one has burned any oil. I hear all kinds of stories from dealers who say burning a quart between oil changes is within limits. I disagree. That's the manufacture covering themselves.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
While I agree with RHBULLITT that the engine should not burn that much oil, when you have an "ultra" high performance with lots of compression and/or added boost, you will lose oil thru "blow by" and not necessarily by "burning" it. That is just a "by product" of the additional performance.

Unfortuneally, with the closed system build in today's engine, this "blow by" can create other issues which are just now being seen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
While I agree with RHBULLITT that the engine should not burn that much oil, when you have an "ultra" high performance with lots of compression and/or added boost, you will lose oil thru "blow by" and not necessarily by "burning" it. That is just a "by product" of the additional performance.

Unfortuneally, with the closed system build in today's engine, this "blow by" can create other issues which are just now being seen.
Very true. My argument is if you have two identical brand new cars and one uses a quart of oil every oil change and the other uses none try and argue with the dealer/manufacturer that there is something wrong with your car. Good luck. Personally I don't want to and don't think I should have to add oil between changes.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
You all make good points. Oil consumption is a thorny issue. Depending on the type of engine, type of oil, oil capacity, oil pressure, compression, PCV, boost etc, the engine may consume oil. Add to that the engine speeds and use cycles, you may or may not use oil.
When I had Porsches, air cooled, I expected oil use. Rotary engines use oil as part of the rotor tip lubrication process.
The faster an engine runs, the more likely it is to use oil. Pistons with small skirts will allow by pass. Direct injection can flash oil off the cylinder walls. I think quite a bit of consumption in newer engines is caused by high crankcase pressures, blow by and oil vapour in the PCV system.
All that said; I have a Honda Ridgeline that never uses a measurable amount of oil between changes, under normal driving conditions.
There's a tear down video of a GT 350 engine on You Tube. Look under "Honey Badger, GT 350 tear down." After 30 track days and 12,000 miles that engine has a cracked valve spring, scuffed pistons, trash in the oil pan, and a compromised oil pump. Performance causes wear and tear. You run a production engine at 7500 RPM think of engine refreshing in terms of hundreds of hours, not thousands. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Any particular recommendations by brand for a catch-can?
Check the ford performance web site for currently available oil separators. American Muscle has a selection as well, but you may throw an engine code with after market "catch cans."

·
Administrator
6,520 Posts
Since the 2015 Mustangs were introduced, some have noticed a bit of consumption in the early part of the engine's life. There have been various theories about breaking affecting that, blow-by, etc. What I have seen anecdotally on my previous '15 GT is bit of consumption within the first 4000 miles where I added 1/4-ish of a qt. After that, I saw that situation only one other time in the 53,000 miles I had it. Of course, this was the Gen 2 Coyote as compared to this current version.

I am at 3700 miles now in the '19 and watching the consumption in this one. As of the last check about a month ago, I hadn't seen anything with the level. Keep us posted on what you see.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Tony
Glad to hear your engine is behaving. Let us know what the oil analysis looks like?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys for all of your feedback!
I’ll look into the catch can, although I’d only do an official Ford one installed at the dealer or Ford approved shop to avoid any warranty questions. 😉
While I’ve observed some oil consumption, im not overly concerned yet, since I’m just past the break-in period.
If it continues or increases through the next few oil changes then I’d consider there to be an issue.
I’m sitting at the dealer where I bought it getting its first service done (2,500 miles on it currently).
After this, service will be done every 5,000 miles.
They’re going to check out the oil and the engine due to the mild consumption and that low rpm clatter irritant.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Good luck taking it to the dealership for service. Hopefully they don't mysteriously find something else wrong that they charge you and arm and a leg for. Sorry, I just don't trust dealerships or should I say "stealerships" ????? :(

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hello Stephen, great to see you back in a Bullitt.

I think owners of the '19 should consider an "oil catch can" due to high compression that can create greater "blow by". Just be sure to discuss this with you dealers service department. Some dealership will view the catch can as you altered the engine and will void your warranty. Others, "have a brain" and may even recommend it. My local dealer (in Kannapolis) not only recommends them but will also empty and clean them out during servicing. Just be careful. You don't want one of those "lame brained" dealership voiding your warranty. :frown2:

This is the same issue that the ECOBOOST owners ran into where the boost created "blow by" that fouled out plugs and created carbon build up. Simple solution was an oil catch can. But, then again, some owner ran into push back from the "lame brained" dealerships.
Hi Jack, Yes it's nice to be back in the new Bullitt/GT350...LOL have you driven one lately...If you haven't don't do it!
Do you ever make it out to any of the cars and coffee when it's not raining?

I just reused the Ford Performance catch can I used to have on the gt350.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Catch cans are a great idea, too bad we have to install them though. You;d think they would make an engine that you don't need one on it. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Bullitt is not using oil between oil changes but it is not driven excessively hard. I get on it occasionally entering the expressway etc. Any time you are revving to 6-7000+ rpm you care creating higher vacuum which can suck oil vapors from the crank case and the valve area. That is the purpose of the inline catch can so you are not then burning that oil and creating a risk of LSPI, Low speed pre-ignition, which is a very serious problem. Serious enough that oil manufacturers world wide switched to a higher classification of oils, SP in the US and ILGAF 6 globally. A catch can will not reduce oil consumption but will tell you if you are sucking oil from the crank case and valve train areas.

If I was going to install a catch can I would talk to the Performance Advisor at the dealership and have them order the Ford catch can and have the dealership install the catch can so there would not be warranty questions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts