Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No Dynorun for stock (sorry). But we know Bullitts are running 230-240 rw/hp.

10/26/01: 310.8 rw/hp at 5750 rpms and 310.6 lbs torque at 4500 rpms. Performance Mods: Vortech S Trim SQ with standard 3.6 Drive Pulley, Bassani X pipe w/cats.

1/19/02: 375.4 rw/hp at 5750 rpms and 370.5 lbs of torque at 4500 rpms. Additional Performance Mods: Change to 3.12 SC Drive Pulley and Alum D/S.

Notes: Same Dynojet 248C for both runs, 30 F Degrees Cooler for 2nd run, Traction Control "ON" for first run and "OFF" for second, A/F Ratio Checked - 11.9 to 1 at upper rpms (thanks JB Vobra), NO fan blowing in front to help air induction on both runs. PSIs before pulley swap, <6, after about 10.

Comments: I have the dynorun graph scanned and in "tif" format. I could not get it on the forum (sorry/computer dummy), if a bullithead wants to see it, even better help post it, I can email the graph.

Only problem is the typical PO153 Code for Check Engine Light (02 Sensor). I'm getting the MIL Eliminators tomorrow.

I will post again when I install the headers and cat back.

Thanks to all Bullitheads for helping me catch-up after twenty years. I'm practing on an old ex-Air Force street/runway, joining a local Mustang Racing Club, and Bandimere opens in March, and Wed. is race your ride night!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention that all Dynojet HP numbers are SAE corrected (for altitude, etc.).

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Mike,
Did you make any chip changes when you swapped pullies or was that the only change? I thought there was going to be some additional tuning associated with it...it looks like is wasn't really necessary, huh?

I too bought a smaller pulley(3.33) but I am currently seeing 8-9psi so that ought to put me in the 10-11 range. I also bought a Spearco water injection kit to cool the charge a little in an attempt to keep the compressor operating more effeciently.

BTW, those are great numbers, what were they uncorrected? Not that it would mean anything to anyone else but you and me(altitude), but curious.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim,

When I had my last dynorun, I had the A/F ratio checked, which looked fine at higher rpms (high 11s/12s). The A/F Ratio was an option ($25.00) more and a very good insurance policy. About tuning, experienced Mustang mechanics and even a tuner are telling me I don't need it, and maybe they are right. I have not ruled it out, however. Your thoughts are appreciated.

What I'm hearing is that Vortech does a good job -- most times. They are a high production company, and there have been some mistakes. My chip took 3 weeks to get back from Vortech for several reasons. The first reason was 9/11, and the second was due to it being the first KSG2 computer code they had seen. This got me worried, but I heard they had an engineering team working on it, not just a single tech. This made me feel a little better, but maybe BS; I don't know.

The only other problem (besides the O2 sensor -- now fixed) I am having is sometimes (approx. 1 out of 8-9 starts), Bullitt 04009 will not start on first try. She takes another attempt or two to get her going. I'm going to get it looked at. Maybe a fuel mapping problem, and I've been told this is common.

I'll find out what my correction factor is for altitude in Denver the next time I dynorun. I'm planning the headers and catback soon and a subsequent dynorun with another A/F ratio check. Then, I'm finished, except for maybe a tuning.

Sounds like you will get some big gains with your planned Mods. I've been told to keep it at no higher than 11 psi with these modulars and higher hp means things get more complicated, but you already know these things.

Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mrudy on 2002-01-22 15:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mrudy on 2002-01-23 00:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mike. I am glad it's working out for you. We should be burning a custom chip for my car within a month or so, I will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BullittBro1,
No not yet. Our tracks open up in March/April over here. I'll keep you posted, when I do -- I'll dedicate it to all my BullittBrothers.

Most interesting semi-race was with a Viper. It was at 12,000 feet, on I-70 near Silverton CO, steep climb, clear weather, almost no traffic, no curves/very straight. Almost Perfect for a Mountain Race! But, I had my wife and five year old with me, so I was pretty conservative (kept 6 to 8 car lenghts in back, in passive mode). Frankly, I thought he would wax me and pull large on me. However, I easily kept-up with him and could have moved on him some, but family is too important. The Viper driver tried to go head to head, but I refused. He would switch lanes, slow-up to a 30 mph roll, punch it, and beat on it hard. But, the SC Bullitt easily stayed a safe distance away at high mountain speeds (80-90 mph). You could see him rubber necking between the rearview and sideview mirrors. My wife and kid were really getting into it even more than me, and wanted me to try and take him. No way, not with family. At the exit, I pulled up, gave him the thumbs up, and he glared at me and yelled something not very flattering.

As you can see, I'm pretty conservative. Almost all my racing will always be on the track, unless that perfect situation happens with a SS, WS6, or more.

Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mrudy on 2002-01-26 00:02 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mrudy on 2002-01-26 08:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Great control MRUDY. You are indeed correct, the family is way more important than any car or race. Your priorities are in the correct order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This reply is to Mike who mentioned his Bullitt not starting 1 out of 8-9 tries. I was having the same problem, and I'm out here in SW Washington. The Ford service mechanic said it was the amount of alcohol used in the fuel in the Vancouver area. He said to try some fuel in an area that does not require emmission testing. I have only been using high test. I also didn;t seem to have a problem with it during lastg summer. It seems to have started early winter. Hope this helps.

SMOKN #5502

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smokn, Thanks. Over the last several months, conditions have signifcantly improved for Bullitt 4009 thanks to a customized chip based on Mods and dynoruns. 4009 now starts on the first crank, no detonation, and no engine check light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts