Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone putting new gears in their Bullitt? I'm considering putting 3.73's or 4.10's - and I'm trying to figure out which ones would be the best. What are people doing about the speedo change. A local shop stated that I could take my Bullitt to the Dealer and they can make the change in the cars computer. Has anyone got info on this (some have stated that this won't work and you need external part).

I'm also trying to figure out the Ford warranty issue (do you have to use Ford Gears to be warrantied, etc..).

·
Registered
452 Posts
go 410's or you will be dissapointed. Unless you plan on NOS or sc down the road. Search the other boards and read the posts....... 410's are the way to go....

·
Registered
12 Posts
that all depends on how you want to drive you bull. if you want nothing but 1/4 mile, go with the 410's, you will lose about 40+- miles on the top end side. (corral calculator) the 373 will provide better than stock performance, and will alow you to keep the stock top end. For me cruise around 75-80 is nothing, but knowing that my car will top out on the highway at/around 108 is no good.

it is all what you want you car to do. there are many discussions on stangnet about this. the only proof i needed was the calculator figures. I would hate to loose to a stock civic because my big bad muscle car cant go over 108.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blubullitt, where exactly is the corral calculator. I tried going to www.corral.net and www.mustangcorral.com and I had no luck finding the calculator.

As far as what I'm looking for: I want a top end that is still be respectable. I think a top speed of 108 would be hard for me to accept. Do you have any idea what the top speed of 3.73 would be and at what rpm's(or can you point me to that calculator).

Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Trust me you can go way over 108... search in corral for info on gears.. go to the gear archive and do some good research... it will make 5th gear useable...... Most guys who get the 373 wish they got the 410's.....

Doug

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
they are BOTH good points!
if you are going to do a lot of racing, 410's are the way to go.
yes, a lot of guys who got 373's are disapointed but they are looking for MAXIMUM performance. there are a lot of people who have been happy with 373's too!
if you're just looking for a small performance upgrade, i'd go 373's. if your looking for a lot of low end grunt, go with 410's
my .02

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did some studying up on various gear ratios compared to bullitt dyno plots and the 3.73 came up as the ideal gear to me.
I think 4.10's are too much gear for a street driven Bullitt, given that it isn't the rev-happy motor that the Cobra 4V is (that car needs 4.10's!)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here's the scoop concerning warranties. The technicians at my dealer said that if I installed an aftermarket gear set myself, that could void any drivetrain warranty. However, if they installed Ford gears & used Motorcraft fluids, the warranty should still be valid. Also, the head tech said they can reprogram the speedo for the new gear ratio.
As far as what ratio to use, here's my opinion:
3.55 - too close to 3.27, won't see a difference
3.73 - more oomph, decent gas mileage & top end
4.10 - lots of oomph, poor gas mileage, decent top end
4.56 - great on the track, crappy gas mileage, terrible top end
Basically, it breaks down to how you want the car to perform. If it's a daily driver that sees a lot of highway travel, put in 3.55's or 3.73's. If you want a quick "drag" car, put in 4.10's or 4.56's. It's your decision.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
nice job rancor!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was offered a group buy in price on the Richmond gears, but my local dealer is saying the same thing....go FMS gears bought through his parts dept., installed there and the warranty applies. You can't beat this when you consider that even a great deal on gears, say $180.00, and the necessary install kit @ $79.00, is a little more than just getting the FMS gears with the warranty.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Only problem is the dealership wants an arm and leg to install them...... or at least mine does.. what have you got for bids from your dealership????

THANKS

Doug

·
Registered
102 Posts
Feedback from my customers is around $300.-$350. for the labor and $240. for the gear set. But this included the necessary shims, etc. which richmond suggested you get with their gearset @ $79.00 Plus if the dealer can recalibrate your speedo that's worth another $150. since the Dallas mustang calibrator is $90. and $150. installed. Plus anyone aftermarket doing the gears will have to have a dial in tool to do it correctly, and this is another $100. If an aftermarket guy has the shims and tool this will save, but then you still have to deal with the speedo and no warranty. If you're going to spend this much go with the 4.10s. You can see why I'm not going to carry gears unless they're the factory.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JP DEMOLET on 2001-08-02 06:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
152 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-01 15:48, rancorkeeper wrote:
4.10 - lots of oomph, poor gas mileage, decent top end

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

in your opinion, what exactly is a decent top end?

Is there anyone on here who has taken their car with 4:10's to the limit? I have posted this question on stangnet also, but no one can give me a straight answer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Has anyone thought about bringing in your own gears? Say you ordered the set from Summit Racing or something, lots cheaper than the dealer, but still FRPP. I wonder what the dealer would think? Warranty should apply, right? Just a thought.

·
Registered
568 Posts
As far as top end goes, I've been in a late model Fox-body with 4.10's that would do around 120. It wasn't my car, so I don't know what the top speed was with the stock gear ratio, but that seems pretty good to me. I doubt the top speed in stock trim was much higher. Of course, the Bullitt tops out close to 150, so I'm sure you'd be missing some of that with steeper gears, but most of us don't need to be driving that fast. But, again, that's a personal decision based on specific needs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-01 11:33, dstanky wrote:
blubullitt, where exactly is the corral calculator. I tried going to http://www.corral.net and http://www.mustangcorral.com and I had no luck finding the calculator.

As far as what I'm looking for: I want a top end that is still be respectable. I think a top speed of 108 would be hard for me to accept. Do you have any idea what the top speed of 3.73 would be and at what rpm's(or can you point me to that calculator).

Thanks
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

it is in the technical features section.

given the numbers from the calculator you get these figures.

using the tremec trans in 5th gear, @6000rpm with the STOCK gear you top speed will be 225.

using the 3:73's same trans, and all you top speed will be 225.

using the 4:10's, same info as before, your top speed will be 169.

there is no way possible our cars can go 225 stock, so given wind and other factors, the bullitt has been clocked around 150. I subtracted 150 from 225 and come up with 75. this is the amount that is lost.

the 3:73's have the same amount as the stock gears.

However when using the same math the the 4:10's your new top speed will only be 94 mph.

Now given that Einstein did not do the math here, and i can not vouch for real world proof of these numbers. I can how ever use this as a guage to know that the 4:10's will drastically reduce your top end.

People are even saying that the 4:10's will inprove you top speed, i doubt it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tracktoy on 2001-08-02 09:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tracktoy on 2001-08-02 09:48 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
You'd be able to eek out a bit more than high 90's as the wind resistance wouldn't be anywhere near as high at the lower 100's as it is at 150. Also.. I don't know this for certain, but I belive that with the gears you'd be able to make more use of 5th gear at top end as the gearing would have come down a bit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info so far. It appears that the way to go is use Ford gears and have the gears installed at a Ford dealer. As far as which gears - still not sure between 3.73 or 4.10.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just spoke with the head tech at my dealer. He said they charge for 5 hours time to swap out the gears. They charge $51/hr, so labor would run me $255. Now I just have to find a Motorsports dealer to order the gears.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Email me I am at work.. I will give you the email addy for Ron Short.... I get all me stuff from him. He can get you FMS gears and will through in the synthetic gear oil for the cherapest I can find... can not remember price off the top of my mead.. like 140 to 180..... IF you need any other mods he is real cheap and real quick on delivery.

Doug

1 - 20 of 27 Posts