Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am a new member here and this is my first post.

I bought a used 2008 Bullitt several months ago. It was in pretty decent shape except for minor suspension and some electrical issues which I took care of, and it has a few minor superficial scratches, but like a dolt I scratched up the rear fender on the quarter panel pretty badly today backing up. Needless to say I'm very depressed about this, and have been reading this and other forums on acquiring the right paint or just a new quarter panel, but they don't come cheap. Any thoughts or advice from older members as to how to go about repairing the damage? I'm in SoCal.

Any recommendations as to alternative resources for body panels aside from the dealership, or who provides the highland green (PX) paint in larger amounts? This is pretty demoralizing.

Thank you for any suggestions.
-Rob

·
Premium Member
14,410 Posts
Welcome aboard Rob. I was hoping somebody living near you would chime in. Anyway, selecting a good body shop is hit and miss, but you can gain local knowledge by attending a local car event and asking around.

One problem will be in matching new paint to the rest of the car that has now seen 11 years of exposure to the elements.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi all,

I am a new member here and this is my first post.

I bought a used 2008 Bullitt several months ago. It was in pretty decent shape except for minor suspension and some electrical issues which I took care of, and it has a few minor superficial scratches, but like a dolt I scratched up the rear fender on the quarter panel pretty badly today backing up. Needless to say I'm very depressed about this, and have been reading this and other forums on acquiring the right paint or just a new quarter panel, but they don't come cheap. Any thoughts or advice from older members as to how to go about repairing the damage? I'm in SoCal.

Any recommendations as to alternative resources for body panels aside from the dealership, or who provides the highland green (PX) paint in larger amounts? This is pretty demoralizing.

Thank you for any suggestions.
-Rob
I recently had some custom paintwork done on the hood of my '01 Bullitt, and after several tries using the PY paint code to no avail, the painter had his local paint supplier, using a special camera called a spectrophotometer, match the paint. I am very happy with the results, and the good news is that now I have the paint and can duplicate it without going through the whole process again should I ever need paintwork on 1625.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, guys. Spectrophotometer, huh? I'll ask the body shops if that's what they use. I've been getting estimates the past couple of days, and from how they've explained it, they start with the the basic paint code, but then further tweak it to match the surface of the existing panels as needed. Some of them even insist on blending the color into the existing door panel which has no damage, while others say it can be blended without having to paint over into the adjacent door panel. It's hard deciding whose judgment to trust. So far I'm just going by the highest rated body shops on yelp who have been in business the longest.

Another issue is the double subwoofer in the trunk making it a hassle to remove the rear right tail light assembly.

Pretty demoralizing damaging my car after only recently getting it. The first month I even had collision insurance but then opted to eliminate it and just keep comprehensive. Now I'll come out of pocket a hefty amount. But what really bums me out is that the paint in that area won't be original anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to ask: any idea what kind of paint was used on the Bullitts? Out here in California the paint they use is all water-based. Are the Bullitts oil or water-based?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,410 Posts
That I do know...they are all water based...the enamels and lacquers were banned by federal edict before our cars were built. Not sure exactly when that happened.

Also, take net reviews with a grain of salt...they can be stacked almost as much as a political poll. ;)

Seriously, try to find a cruise-in or car show in your area. Owners love talking about their cars, and wouldn't mind telling you who they use for body & paint. The old word of mouth is still effective.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys. Spectrophotometer, huh? I'll ask the body shops if that's what they use. I've been getting estimates the past couple of days, and from how they've explained it, they start with the the basic paint code, but then further tweak it to match the surface of the existing panels as needed. Some of them even insist on blending the color into the existing door panel which has no damage, while others say it can be blended without having to paint over into the adjacent door panel. It's hard deciding whose judgment to trust. So far I'm just going by the highest rated body shops on yelp who have been in business the longest.

Another issue is the double subwoofer in the trunk making it a hassle to remove the rear right tail light assembly.

Pretty demoralizing damaging my car after only recently getting it. The first month I even had collision insurance but then opted to eliminate it and just keep comprehensive. Now I'll come out of pocket a hefty amount. But what really bums me out is that the paint in that area won't be original anymore.
Yes, a spectrophotometer is how my paint was matched, and the paint code didn't matter at that point. The paint is being matched to the current color of the car, whether it's faded, or still original. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm very pleased with the color match.:smile2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts