Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86GT that is under going a 5 lug conversion so I could throw a set of Bullitt wheels under it. I was originally going with the Torque Thrusts and was so happy once the Bullitts came to the public. Anyway, after alot of thinking I came to the conclusion of having my car sprayed Highland Green, mounting an 82 hoodscoop(painted mat black). My question is I was going to throw a Bullitt badge on the left rear side of the hatch. Would this bother some of you "True Bullitt" owners?
I was going to build my own rendition of the Bullitt but I dont want to look like a poser in the process.
All critisism welcome. Thanks
Nick

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
it's your car, do what you want. don't expect a lot of support from here though. i don't appreciate it and wouldn't even acknowledge you if you pulled up next to me in it (if it was a fake Bullitt) but you know what they say
"immitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
i still say it's your car,....do what you want
(no flame intended, just my honest response!)

2001 Bullitt DHG #648
Ford Racing Alum. Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, K & N Filter,
Porterfield Carbon/Kevlar Brake Pads
MGWLTD-All custom Satin Bullitt Bits & Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-30 11:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats why I asked. Like I said it was only an idea. The wheels are a definate but the paint and the badging is only an idea.
Nick

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey, it's your car. Don't let your decision be determined by what other people think. If you think it'll look good, then by all means go for it. Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I say that anyone willing to potentiate the image of the Bullitt must have sincere fondness for the beast. Enjoy, but please have massive power so the Camaros don't think they took one of us!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I'm thinking. I figured that the badging would be a bit much, but I just love the color and the wheels. I love the whole car but I just cant swing the payments and insurance otherwise I would own one. SO I think I will go with the color and the wheels and the scoop, well thats there already and I am making it functional in the process.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
01GTCOUPE, The power is there. Its a legit 12 second daily driver. Its a 90 motor with heads and cam, 3:55s in an Auburn rear, World Class T-5 with a B&M Ripper, 24lb inj., 65mmTB, 77MM Pro-M, GT40 upper and lower. Now it just needs some looks!

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I would say that everything up to Bullitt badging would be okay in my book.

I draw the line at putting on things with "Bullitt" on them. That just seems to say "poser" to me.

Wheels and the rest aren't really Bullitt per se, just throw backs to the old American Racing rims on McQueen's 68 in the movie.

Have fun BTW. Put some pics up when you have it done!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
You can do the car like you wnated Nick and not use the BULLITT on it. If you think about it the original movie car didn't have "BULLITT" on it anywhere.
Cam

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I't's YOUR car man ... do whatever makes you happy!
Regarding the BULLITT badging .... I've been tempted to remove mine. Like that sleeper look. The (fake)scoop kinda blows that though. I'd take off the fuel door too. Too riceie for me.....Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think its a great Idea myself. There would not be an other one like it. You could always tell people it was an original "one off" concept car that only just made production this model year. As for the purists, I've never liked them, I have a Harley, Vette, Impala SS, and now a Bullitt, each group has a large number of purists that I continually **** off, it has now become more of a game to me. These things are made for FUN. I always hated those kids when I was young, that never played with thier toys, just had them neetly aranged about thier rooms. I say bully for you if you enjoy the car, and like the whole Bullitt deal (it is a cool chase scene!) do what you want! I like chilli's post, the car in the movie had no badging whatsoever, it was just BAD, if you ask me, the cars we bought are kind of poser-ish when you think about it, I don't care, I have FUN with it, have fun with yours! I'll wave to Ya!

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Oh, one other thing though, if you put an "R Type" sticker on it, we will delete your account here!

:-B :-B

Mike

·
Registered
610 Posts
Certainly Nick, You have every right to make your car any way you want. But when you're all done with it and cruising down the road,You know what you "Have" and every body else knows what you "Have". Is that what you want? No flames intended, just an observation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys thanks for the respones. Its going to be done. I was pretty set on the color before and now after this and talking it over with my girfriend its a done deal. I will have the sprayed Dark Highland Green, all the moldings and headlight buckets will stay mat black along with the scoop, the wheels will be ordered within the next week and I hope to have the car off the the spraybooth by the end of October. I will be doing everything but the paint.
There will be NO badging on the the car. There will only be the Ford oval on the nose, no oval out back and no 5.0 emblems on the side. I think it should look pretty sinister when all is done. I will be sure to post pictures when its complete.
By the way this is a great site and alot of good people on here. Thanks
Nick

Ad dont worry there will be NO Type R decals anywhere. :smile:

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
ROFL Mike!!!!
have fun with it nick (obviously, i have some SERIOUS crawfishin' to do on the whole "you won't find a lot of support here" theory.......of course i still think Lee Harvey Oswald acted on his own and completly by himself too!) LMAO
oh, and maybe i should have noticed that Nick said an 86 Stang and not a 99, 00, or 01!!!
2001 Bullitt DHG #648
Ford Racing Alum. Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, K & N Filter,
Porterfield Carbon/Kevlar Brake Pads
MGWLTD-All custom Satin Bullitt Bits & Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-30 16:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-31 00:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
147 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-30 13:27, Big Nick wrote:
Guys thanks for the respones. Its going to be done. I was pretty set on the color before and now after this and talking it over with my girfriend its a done deal. I will have the sprayed Dark Highland Green, all the moldings and headlight buckets will stay mat black along with the scoop, the wheels will be ordered within the next week and I hope to have the car off the the spraybooth by the end of October. I will be doing everything but the paint.
There will be NO badging on the the car. There will only be the Ford oval on the nose, no oval out back and no 5.0 emblems on the side. I think it should look pretty sinister when all is done. I will be sure to post pictures when its complete.
By the way this is a great site and alot of good people on here. Thanks
Nick

Ad dont worry there will be NO Type R decals anywhere. :smile:
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a great looking car. Just make sure it hauls butt and stays in front of the Chevys where it belongs :smile:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a cousin who took a diesel VW Rabbit and gave it the full monochromatic Black look like the old GTI's. He put GTI badges on it and aftermarket rims. He wasn't fooling anybody but himself! I refused to ride in the car because it was embarrasing. I didn't have much of a problem with the monochromatic look or wheels, but when he tried to get people to think it was a GTI that was going way to far. All of my friends used to make fun of him, right to his face.

There is nothing wrong with customizing your car to make it your own. There is a problem with trying to make your car something it's not. Paint the car, do the wheels because it will look good. Just be aware if you do "fake" badging fellow enthusiasts will have a hard time taking you seriously. I personally think it's great when someone adds a bit of their personality to their car. Just keep it true to its original self. Adding fake badging is like saying your personality is fake.

BTW- I just oredered my "type R' sticker and it is in the mail as we speak. I think it will add at least 20HP :smile:

Eric

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Hey,go for it! I can remember some poor guys,years ago,putting 427 emblems on their 350 Chevelles! I have an 85 LX,WITH BUILT 351W. I put the 15X8 and 15X4 Torque Thrust wheels on it several years ago,think I was the only guy around with that setup,every one else was running Weld Wheels. Took a lot of work on the rear wheels,as only the Torque Thrust IIs were available with correct back spacing. These came fully polished,so I had to repolish,dull them back to a satin finish on the rims and paint the center spokes to match. So guess I was the first with the Torque Thrust wheels on a late model Stang!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-08-30 15:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sounds like it will look great! I'd like to see pics when you are all done.
If it were me, I wouldn't do the badging either. Your idea was original, but alot of people would just look at it as trying to fake a Bullitt.

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do agree that putting the badging on would be too much and there will NOT be an badging on the car. I think the color and the wheels would set it off as different but yet represent a piece of Mustang history. Everyone knows that they didnt make "Bullitts" back in 86 so I dont think I will be fooling anybody in beleiving its a "real" Bullitt.
I can understand the with the VW story and Type-R deacals it is saying there is performance in the car when there is not. The performance is there in my car, that I can prove and the "Bullitt" name is on the car more for the history aspect than performance(yes I know the performance is upgraded from a GT but the name is for remembering the movie). I know there are quite a few 67 and 68 Mustangs out there made to look like the one used in the movie. I will be going with the wheels and the color but No badging. Beleive me if I could afford a new one I would have it in my driveway, maybe later on in life but for now I will have my own rendition.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts