1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Yep! That's a good link, and good read for those that like to change oil just to be changing the oil. I have read some of the newer owners manuals and the like that show the 7500 mile interval. And in general concur as well. A fellow I know has a 99 Explorer that he claims the Oil Life Monitor engine management panel tells him to change the oil at about 7500 to 8500 miles. That truck has allot of miles on it. Maybe as many as 200K. I dont know exactly. It seems fine, and does not smoke or do any other nasty things.:shock:

Now here's the kicker. I don't drive but short distances, and nowadays I don't get many miles on during the course of a year. So, I change oil about every three or four months or every 7500 miles. I don't ever run out of the miles in four months:tongue: . I consider it cheap insurance, and so far I haven't bought an engine rebuild in twenty years because of my policy. And the oil doesn't look bad when it's drained either.:tongue:

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My sister swears by Mobil 1 in her 200,000 plus van and she changes it every 3 thousand miles. 70 or so oil changes at how much a pop, 40 bucks doing it herself? (which she doesn't). She probably could have taken a good vacation or two on the savings had she done it every 5 grand or so.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I used Mobil 1 in my Yamaha 79 XS 750. I never changed the oil. Just the filter. It was always clean and clear. The crankcase oil also lubed the transmission on that bike. Just added enough oil to make up for what I lost on the filter change every 5K miles. And yeah, it was pricey, even back in the day.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've always changed every 5-K miles. No more - No less. Never had a problem due to this interval.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
3500 miles here for oil change...but i all ways change the filter too...back in the old days..oil was cheap so changing it at 3000 was good but now we have a kinda syn oil which does not break down like the old oil..i think also that engines are built with closer tolerences which explains 5w20 oil...that aint much viscosity!

Now back to your regular programming:D

·
Registered
771 Posts
I change mine each 5K interval that my fiance's goes through. She drives further to work, so racks em up quicker. Puts mine in the 3500-5000 mark, and hers in the 5000-7500 mark.

When I worked as a Mechanic for a rental car company, we were told by the big three that 7500 Mile markers were the oil change intervals. The only one that was SPECIFICALLY important was the first one. Not for all the reasons we'd assume, it was to make SURE that the original filter wasn't on the car. Otherwise, let em ride and change em sometime after 7500.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I change mine every 3,000 miles. mainly because of the Vortech, I like to get on the trottle so i give her nice new oil ever 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oil change data

I have always used Mobil 1 and changed it with filter @ 5ooo, Been using it since it first came out in many cars going well over 100k on them with never any oil related issue.

A friend of mine with Vettes has been using an oil analysis company for years (Dyson Analysis Inc) This is a petroleum engineering lab that provides detailed analysis of oil samples you send to them. Short version of the reports goes like this:

> Oil properties breakdown due to mainly dirt (silica) and fuel dilution.

> Dirt which is read as silica in the analysis is directly the result of air
filtration

> Foam and Oil cotton filters like K&N are the worst and get worse the more you clean them

Recommendations : Best results to date are Penzoil Platinum (resists dilution, best perforance under temp/shear load etc

Throw the K & N in the trash and go with a good non oil washable synthetic element filter like Amsoil or AEM

Synthetic Oil filters also ike Mobil 1 and Amsoil also score the higest marks

Typical results are the syn oils remain effective to about 10k before the chemical analysis shows its time to change.
I have no reason to doubt this as I have seen oil analysis results done by military and otherhigh stress usage and the chemical analysis tells it like it is.

Even with that I still just change out at 5k. The cost isn't much and its just a peace of mind thing.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Thanks Dave for great information on something that is as important as it is common. I've often wondered about synthetics and thier breakdown compared to non-synthetics. Great information. Sounds real accurate and credible too.

I'm also a 5-K oil changer although I have been using Pennzoil synthetics for the past couple of years.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
Hi Guys,
What do you High And Dry guys do?

I change my Mobil 1 5w20 oil ($22 for a 5 qt jug at Wal-Mart) on DHG1248 every six months (maybe 300-500 miles max) and change the filter once per year.

Please share your thoughts.

On my 04GT, I drain the Mobil 1 after every open track day (four or five OTD days per year). I change oil filter twice per year. I bought it in 04 and have 15K on the clock and that includes two trips to Florida. Driven in the rain once in 3 1/2 years (coming back from OTD last month).

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My car racks up a little less that 4,000 miles per year.

I change the oil in the spring - once a year.

Always use either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec.

·
Registered
75 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Hi Guys,
What do you High And Dry guys do?

I change my Mobil 1 5w20 oil ($22 for a 5 qt jug at Wal-Mart) on DHG1248 every six months (maybe 300-500 miles max) and change the filter once per year.

Please share your thoughts.

On my 04GT, I drain the Mobil 1 after every open track day (four or five OTD days per year). I change oil filter twice per year. I bought it in 04 and have 15K on the clock and that includes two trips to Florida. Driven in the rain once in 3 1/2 years (coming back from OTD last month).
If you look at Used Oil Analysis on BobIsTheOilGuy.com, you'll probably come to the conclusion that you can easily go 1 year on Mobil 1.

Lately, I been driving my Mach1 about 2,000 miles per year and changing the Mobil 1 and filter annually. I have a heated garage and during the winter, the car stays on the ground and gets started twice a week.

I let it idle until the cooling fan kicks on (usually about 15 minutes) and then hold it at 3,000 RPM for two minutes. Then, back to idle for a couple more minutes. I believe that's enough to blow the condensation out of the exhaust and heat everything up.

I have a sixty foot concrete drive way, so I move the car up and down it a few times if it's dry. (I don't take in on the road because I drop the liability insurance during winter.)

When was the last time you changed your brake fluid?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts