Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off hello to all its been a while since my last post. I recently ordered some performance rotors for my bullitt(#1703)

and had them put on with some new pads at a local shop when.... I noticed when I brake they make a wierd noise. its very hard to describe, its like a humming. btw there dimpled/slotted rotors. So my first question is this normal? I also noticed that my wheel locks are barely on.... So I thought to myslef thats strange. I attempted to tighten them and couldn't anymore. So then I said these rotors look funny? do they look normal to you guys.

I said maybe they but them on backwards, but I know thats not possible because I ask a mechanic and he said theres no way the calipers would line up. So the only other complaint I have is when I go over bumps I hear this metal to metal clang which I think is coming form my front wheels. Could something from my brakes be loose. btw they stop fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im gonna jack up the car today after I get back from work to see if everything looks ok. But thanks for the pic, my rotors/brakes look pretty much like that.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I'd sure check out the wheel bearings and make sure that everything is snug. Clanging sounds means that something is loose.:confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have dimpled & slotted Brembo's and they will make a slight sound as the pads pass over the slots. Not sure if thats what you mean by humming?
What pads did you use?

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
I would definitely be concerned about the wheel locks barely being on if you are talking about the nuts that hold the wheel on to the hub. Don't know if that is what you are referring to, but you sure don't want a wheel loosening or falling off while you are driving. You might need to get longer studs to compensate for a thicker rotor design.

Lee

·
Registered
141 Posts
By the picture it looks to me like the lug nuts are on backwards, the taper is supposed to go inwards, not face out, this is dangerous and will also damage the wheels, I'd look into it asap. Is the humming noise all the time or just when braking? If it's all the time, it's most likely a wheel bearing problem, which could be due to an inexperienced tech working on the car. If they are not familiar with the car, they may have removed the wheel bearing nut and overtorqued/undertorqued it on installation.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
With my experience as a mechanic, I would suggest you take it to another shop. I feel that this case is hard to diagnose accurately with pictures. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
and had them put on with some new pads at a local shop when.... I noticed when I brake they make a wierd noise. its very hard to describe, its like a humming. btw there dimpled/slotted rotors. So my first question is this normal? I also noticed that my wheel locks are barely on.... So I thought to myslef thats strange. I attempted to tighten them and couldn't anymore. So then I said these rotors look funny? do they look normal to you guys.
The new discs look ok in the pics and they do not look thicker that the stock ones.

Mine make more noise than stock as I put this down to the pads passing the slots and dimples a sort of whizzing noise?

If I was u forget a minor noise over the wheel nut issue.

THIS is a safety critical area. Make sure you have the right lug nuts with at least 1 1/2 turns of thread out of the nut and make sure that the taper matches the wheel.
These lug nuts dont look right to me in the pic.
Get this checked asap, trust us on here you do not want a wheel coming off at any speed.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts