Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I searched the forums to no avail, am curious... have any of you heard a sound similar to a foghorn emenating from under the hood. I hear it when coming to a stop or when accelrating slowly right around 2000 rpm. Does not matter if the clutch is in or out, the sound persists and if I accelrate the sound does not change much in frequency but seems to go away. It's got me perplexed, any ideas? I was thinkin maybe something along the lines of a cam bearing....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
power steering pump? Although they usually have more of a "whine" to them. If your car dose not have to be driven or under a load in order to make the noise, try taking off the drive (serp) belt and running the engine to 2k rpms or when ever the sound appears. If the sound disappears then you know to start looking at one of your accessories, If its still there it could be something internal with the engine\trans.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Is it a sort of "hhhOOOOooonnn" sound? My Explorer does that on occasion. It comes from the intake tube, but I can't figure out what triggers it. I think it might have something to do with the idle air control valve, but it's not consistent. Maybe it's the heat, and it's making the tube flex? It goes away after I stop and let it sit for a while.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
New Sound

You may want to simply check and see if you have a vacuum leak somehwere. On my 2002 Ranger once, the air filter box had come loose and I onlyhad to simply reposition it and it closed properly. Later,one of the hoses (or hard air lines) running in to the 3" air breather line (that goes from the filter box to the intake) simply jumped out of it's push-in connection. Once this was corrected the noise and other problems ceased. Sounds like you describe having the same noise(s) I heard.

I hope this helps you out ... (???) :wink:

(texwebdesign.com)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I actually had the very same problem and the exact noise that you described. For me it was the IAC, it was hanging up and sticking. It wouldn't do it all the time tho, however I did catch it one time and was able to pull over, open the hood and listen. I knew that the IAC could sometimes stick, so I gave it a tap with a wrench and the sound stopped. This was good for a few days and it would start all over again, very annoying. I started with replacing the hoses that come from the IAC, thinking they weren't sealing and causing some sort of vacumm leak, but that didn't help at all. I finally bought a new IAC and it took care of the problem. You can also try taking the IAC off and spraying it out to clean it, sometimes that helps also.

Hope this helped, good luck.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had the same sound and it was my alternator. It seems like it was a bearing inside, I got a new now from PA and the noise is gone :) If you get a stethoscope you can narrow the noise down.

Bullitt1067

Bullitt00155 said:
Hey all,

I searched the forums to no avail, am curious... have any of you heard a sound similar to a foghorn emenating from under the hood. I hear it when coming to a stop or when accelrating slowly right around 2000 rpm. Does not matter if the clutch is in or out, the sound persists and if I accelrate the sound does not change much in frequency but seems to go away. It's got me perplexed, any ideas? I was thinkin maybe something along the lines of a cam bearing....

·
Registered
651 Posts
It must be the time of year, because the Exploder starting doing it again today. I also noticed that when I turned on the A/C, it went away, but it's difinitely coming from the intake tube area. Some sort of resonance. I think I'll try cleaning the IAC as well; it's been a while.

·
Registered
429 Posts
ive also got some kind of whine...i cant tell if its the same thing your talking about but its weird. its been doin it for like 3-4 weeks now. i cant hear anything when im just sitting there or when i come to a stop sign. it doesnt have anything to do with whether the clutch is in or out and nothing to do with the brakes. i seem to really hear it when im just cruisin.....just some high pitched whine. if its not the same thing, does anyone have and idea of what i could be?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Most likely your power steering pump is going dry. Check the fluid level. If it isn't low, you may need to replace the pump, or one of the pulleys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts