Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I visited MRT and Scott Hoag for some work and learned a couple of new things.

First: The only reason that Ford recommends 5w20 oil is ..... to reduce startup emissions.

The clearances, the oil passages, everywhere oil flows ... DOES NOT need 5w20 oil. He recommended that I use 10w30 full synthetic for open track days.

Also, most of us have bent gas pedal arms. If your gas pedal is too far from your brake to upshift like a road racer, your gas pedal arm is probably bent. The arm is weak and a few good slams of the foot on the gas pedal will bend the weak, stamped-metal arm. So today Scott Hoag made a reinforced arm for me. It is now on my 04 GT.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When you see the MRT Mach 1 Race Car, you know you have arrived at MRT.

(Hmmmm, the front wheel looks a little bent in, doesn't it.)

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
PhotoRick said:
(Hmmmm, the front wheel looks a little bent in, doesn't it.)
The front suspension on this car is set up with a lot of negative camber:

"Camber angle alters the handling qualities of a particular suspension design; in particular, negative camber improves grip when cornering. This is because it places the tire at a more optimal angle to the road, transmitting the forces through the vertical plane of the tire, rather than through a shear force across it. Another reason for negative camber is that a rubber tire tends to roll on itself while cornering. If the tire had zero camber, the inside edge of the contact patch would begin to lift off of the ground, thereby reducing the area of the contact patch. By applying negative camber, this effect is reduced, thereby maximizing the contact patch area. Note that this is only true for the outside tire during the turn; the inside tire would benefit most from positive camber."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Man, I wish I lived closer and had more money! Actually, I have spoken to Scott on the phone before. He is VERY COOL and spent about 45 minutes talking to me. I can't say enough about him, he has my respect and admiration!

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bullitt4003 said:
The front suspension on this car is set up with a lot of negative camber:

"Camber angle alters the handling qualities of a particular suspension design; in particular, negative camber improves grip when cornering. This is because it places the tire at a more optimal angle to the road, transmitting the forces through the vertical plane of the tire, rather than through a shear force across it. Another reason for negative camber is that a rubber tire tends to roll on itself while cornering. If the tire had zero camber, the inside edge of the contact patch would begin to lift off of the ground, thereby reducing the area of the contact patch. By applying negative camber, this effect is reduced, thereby maximizing the contact patch area. Note that this is only true for the outside tire during the turn; the inside tire would benefit most from positive camber."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle
Yes, my comment was an attempt at humor. One of my recent mods was caster-camber plates and my camber angle is now at -1.75. I think the Mach 1 Racer has twice that much. But then it is only driven on a race track.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes! Scott told me that Quaker State full syn was developed and tested with Ford engines so that is what he recommends. Quaker State full synthetic. He said that 10w30 would offer more protection on summer open track days. I still use 5w20 oil on DHG1248 which has never seen any kind of track.

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts
PhotoRick said:
First: The only reason that Ford recommends 5w20 oil is ... to reduce startup emissions.

The clearances, the oil passages, everywhere oil flows ... DOES NOT need 5w20 oil. He recommended that I use 10w30 full synthetic for open track days.
Thanks for that info, Rick.

If Mr. Hoag says it, I believe it.

So let me get this straight...he recommends f/s 10w30 during track ops. What about regular (non-aggressive) road/street driving? Would he still recommend f/s 10w30...or s/b 5w20?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I beleive he would probably say 5W20 s/b. Gotta keep those start up emissions in line. Ya don't wanna flunk that test, at least around the metro areas in Texas. And the startup emissions are a part of our testing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Scott had the MRT Mach 1 at the Ford Meet here in Tulsa, last month. Visited with him at the Hallett track, along with Dennis Shaw and his wife. He let us watch some of the video from his roll bar mounted camera, pretty cool. I'm always impressed with his willingness to talk about the Bullitt and share his time. Great guy.

Cool "heads up" on the gas pedal, Rick. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cochese said:
Thanks for that info, Rick.

If Mr. Hoag says it, I believe it.

So let me get this straight...he recommends f/s 10w30 during track ops. What about regular (non-aggressive) road/street driving? Would he still recommend f/s 10w30...or s/b 5w20?
Hi Collin,
Yes, Scott uses 10W30 Quaker State full synthetic because his cars never operate in cold weather.

I think he would still recommend 5W20 for year round daily driving.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I am using mobile 1 10W30 here in florida. not really any cold weather here and no emission tests...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.