Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally put new tires on 2445 this morning and when I picked her up at lunch, I got more than a little miffed. The sales guy told me that the Sumitomo's he had in stock would be just as good as the Khumos I wanted (and could afford) or the BFG's I wanted (but were a little pricey). The only thing he was right about was they were a quiet highway tire. Now the car feels "squishy" and not connected to the road. When I make a turn, I feel like the car is sliding out from under itself. Even the brakes don't feel all that confident. After a quick trip around the block, the manager agreed, and told me he would get the Khumos for me in the morning.

I never would have thought the wrong tires would make a Bullitt feel like a 78 LTD with drum brakes, but it did.

·
Registered
301 Posts
people never realize how big of a difference tires make.. mustang guys can be the worst about this because so many people are soo big on gettin the cheapest tires they can when they move to aftermarket wheels..

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Glad you will get something you will probably like but it seems odd to me that the salesman would have put the Sumitomos on without checking with you first.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
what model khumos did you end up going with? I have khumos on my 88gt....I love the tread design and the sidewalls graphics

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going for the Ecxsta ASTs. I had a set on my last '02 Mustang GT, and they were a good tire for what I need them for right now. My faves have to be the BFGoodrich G-force KDW. I have never had a tire feel like it was putting spikes in the asphalt until them, I just wish I could afford them now.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
installermarc said:
Going for the Ecxsta ASTs. I had a set on my last '02 Mustang GT, and they were a good tire for what I need them for right now. My faves have to be the BFGoodrich G-force KDW. I have never had a tire feel like it was putting spikes in the asphalt until them, I just wish I could afford them now.
I have the Kumho Excsta AST on the Contour SVT.....A bit noisy on the freeway, but good tire for the price...I have the BFG G-Force KDW on the Bullitt and love them.....

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm willing to sacrifice a little (or a lot) of noise on the highway for good performance. If things go right, next spring I will get the BFGs I want (along with several other mods).

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
I sure like my BFG KD tires (not KDW, not KDWS). They are really worth the price and really stick. KDs are dry weather tires.

The more all-season a tire is, the poorer the performance on those great summer rides.

·
Registered
40 Posts
tires make a huge diff... I just put bridgestone potenzas on my DHG 03986 and they rock .....im very happy .Good luck enjoy that new grip i am.....

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
PhotoRick said:
I sure like my BFG KD tires (not KDW, not KDWS). They are really worth the price and really stick. KDs are dry weather tires.

The more all-season a tire is, the poorer the performance on those great summer rides.
Exactly!!! I LOVE my BFG's. There sticky enough that I have extreme confidence in to be there in the curves but I can still break loose when I need to power out of something.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
If you want the same or better traction,from an extreme summer performance tire,than the BFG KDW, and want a totally quiet tire with excellent ride qualities,go for the Bridgestone Potenza RE-0R1.
I had the KDW setup on my Bullitt,and the Bridgestones are much better. Around $152 each in the stock 245x45x17 size. I use them on my 85 LX as well....ran a 12.17 at over 117 on those little things!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've never had the summi's but I've been in a firends stang that did, and they really did perform poorly! He had the 315's on a very lightly moded '98 GT, and they spun worse than the stock 245 gatorbacks. They are cheap, and that's about all you can say for them.

I put BFG KDW's on the Bullitt in '03 when it was time to ditch the gatorbacks. The BFG's are great, but I later switched to the Goodyear F1 GSD3's which I believe are even better, and have a kick-a$$ tread patern. This was all with the car pretty much stock, its on the GSD3's in the front still and drag radials in the back now.

Good luck with the Kumho's!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
^^^there are those of us not able to spend 1200-1400 for a set of tires...

i have had three brands of tires on my bullitt since buying it five years ago, goodyear, BFG, and now sumitomos... have had three sets of sumitomos and never had a problem with grip or tread wear or any sticking at all, until they get slick (about 30-35K miles...)

shaun

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Exactly why I got mine. didn't have the cash to spend 1200 for a set of tires. Mine is a daily driver and I can go through 4 sets of Sumis for that price. I did find that the 315s needed to be run at around 25LBs. Stick really good and they are inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think I'm one of the few who like the Sumis. I have them (315s) on the rear of my Bullitt, and actually like them. They grip pretty decently when it's dry, but they cut loose when I want them to. And even in the rain, they're actually pretty manageable.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the Sumis are gone and the Khumos are on. I would say that they grip better than the Goodyears that were stock, and are actually quieter. It's nice to have my Bullitt back like it is supposed to be, or maybe better. Without doing too much tire warm up, 0-60 seems a touch quicker, the brakes feel more grippy, and I have managed to pull 1.15 Gs cornering (at least thats what the Nav unit said) before I got out of it. Consider me one happy Bullitthead!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I've heard plenty of complaints about Sumos in my day

glad you were able to swap them out

·
Registered
656 Posts
I run the Kumho Ecsta MX's. Great handling and quiet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts