Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having the same 3000 rpm "anomoly" in my '01 GT that a lot of other GT and Bullitt owners have, and yesterday I noticed something that I hadn't experienced before. I'd gone somewhere early in the day and gotten the engine fully warmed up. About an hour and a half after getting home, I went to go run another errand. When I started the car, the temp gauge was still at about the one-quarter mark (one quarter of WHAT? wouldn't some real gauges be nice?) and it made the same noise at 3K rpm. If the gauge is to be believed, the water temp was still substantially off the peg. Later in the day, I took the car over to the local cruise night where I hung out for about 90 minutes. When I went to leave, same deal. Temp gauge well off the peg, clatter at 3K rpm which went away after a few blocks.
Anyone seen this with their cars? Previously I thought the engine only made this sound when stone cold, but obviously not.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
same here.

i've noticed this twice.

i doesn't happen everytime i'm in a situation like you describe however.

this bit of evidence kinda makes the piston noise theory pretty much bunk.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The metal of the block/reciprocating assembly no doubt cools off (and heats up) at a different rate than the water in the engine. I guess maybe the metal cools faster, especially when the car is outside as was the case both times this happened to me, or maybe it has to do with the inherent inaccuracy of the factory "idiot gauges".
Another thing.....mine has started doing it at times as low as 2000 rpm. I used to hate winter and cold weather....now I have one more reason.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I use one of those high strength oil filter magnets. I was amazed how well they work. I also have an oil filter cutter and cut my filters open. This because I run my cars hard at driving schools. The magnet leaves an outline trace of iron particles and any other magnetic metallics on the inside of the filter can. I tiny bit is normal.

This may be an idea for all of you that have this noise.

This just rienforces, to me, the need to run a higher viscosity oil. I run 20W50 synthetic and have no noises to date. I live in Houston though, with warmer temps than some of you so a lighter, say 10W40, would be a good idea in cold climes.

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts