Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
38481 - 38500 of 38542 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,481 (Edited)
Now you can apply for foreign aid and NATO status, nice going.
Not to mention my Ninja hoodie, poster board, spray paint, "Get Out Of Jail Free" card, bricks, iron pipe, frozen bottled water, gasoline, glass bottles, rags, matches and 15-minutes of fame and praise on CNN and MSNBC. It's a win-win! :D

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,482
Nary a grunt. Not even a whisper. Only the lonely sound of the wind, as the sun sinks slowly in the west.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,484
Hey! It's Brad! How the heck you doing? Good of you to drop by. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,485 (Edited)
LAZY DAY ROCKET!
I woke up, yawned and reached back to 2016 for today's lazy attempt at pumping air into this dead thread. Sorry, apathy abounds. The J-2 Rocket engine was the "what's up" of the day back in the good ol' days. Folks old enough for Depends know what I mean...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one can deny the impact the Olds Rocket 88 had in the early 50s, but any clown knows that things really got a jump start in '57, when Oldsmobile introduced its big new 371 Rocket engine, capable of producing 300 horsepower with the J-2 Rocket option that was equipped with 3 2-barrel carbs. And the the long, low total restyling speaks for itself. No sir, if you want the best Rocket 88, you have to go to 1957. That said, here's today's... (BTW, although the J-2 was "outlawed" by NASCAR, it didn't matter. Olds just flopped on a 4-barrel and won a godzillion trophies anyway)...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1957 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 J-2 convertible
1957 Oldsmobile Super 88 (Golden Rocket 88, Super 88, Dynamic 88) - Conceptcarz and AHPS - Tech Pages Article and 1957 Oldsmobile Super 88 J-2 Tri-Power | Red Hills Rods and Choppers Inc. - St. George Utah and 1957-'58 Oldsmobile V-8 J2

371 cid Golden Rocket J-2, 300 h.p. @ 4600 rpm (Note: This motor was outlawed by NASCAR. See: Outlawed by NASCAR: - 1957 Oldsmobile J-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KURT'S KUTIES (HOME RUN!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNKLAIMED KLUNKER!

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Hey! It's Brad! How the heck you doing? Good of you to drop by. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
Been doing good, Jimbob. Heard the place got a renovation and thought I'd stop in. I'm going to drop in a bit more then I have the last couple years. Might take a little while to get back in the swing of things. Hope all is going well for you and Pearl up yonder. Catch you around.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,487 (Edited)
Glutten for punishment, or just stupid?

Over the years I've been accused of being a lot of things, but the one thing I've never been accused of is being smart. And there's a reason for that. Take, for example, my brilliant idea of calling my local Chevy dealer after seeing a magazine ad that showed a slick-looking new '73 Vega GT, in white with a black speed stripe. We talked on the phone, discussed what I had for a trade-in (a perfectly fine '72 Ford Torino coupe) and how much cash I'd be putting down and, lo and behold, the guy said he had a GT exactly like the one I'd seen in the ad. Then he revved my engine more by telling me he could have it prepped and ready to roll before I even got there. And away I went. I drove home proud as punch.

The car reminded me of a shrunken Camaro and Chevy had done a stellar job of making its red vinyl interior look just like leather
. Being brand new, I babied it home and wouldn't learn until later what a gutless dog the car really was. But I would learn. I did, however, do one smart thing. I listened to a buddy of mine and took his advice. He told me the horror stories of overheating and engine failure and was so convincing that I unloaded the car after owning it for less than a year.

Now comes the "stupid" part. About ten years later my wife and I were needing a car. I was between jobs and our only income at the time was her job, my unemployment and the little that I earned by drumming in a 5-piece band. So, to "Junior Sample's Used Cars" I did go. I walked the lot, kicked several tires and then, like lighting striking twice in the same spot, there it sat. A beautiful, tan 1974 Vega hatchback! It wasn't a GT, but it looked slicker than snot and yes, I bought it. Did I mention "stupid?"

The engine ran great and stayed cool, the gas mileage was great and for several months I was a happy camper. Until that fateful sunny day when all hell broke loose. At first, it was just an odd odor. Then, a foul, alien smell hit my nose. And then it happened. Black acrid smoke began billowing into the passenger compartment from the driver-side windshield post. In no time flat I was coughing and struggling to even see the road. I managed to pull safely to the side of the road and jumped out, amid a huge black cloud. It would've made a viral YouTube video, no doubt. Fortunately, I had a small furniture pad in the hatch compartment and broke open the plastic post cover with my tire iron and smothered the fire out. Coughing all the time, of course. And that was Jimbob's experience with a '74 Chevy Vega. Smart, huh? Here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1974 Vega Hatchback
The Car That Nearly Destroyed GM and Falling Star: The Checkered History of the Chevrolet Vega > Ate Up With Motor and Chevrolet Vega - Wikipedia and https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/chevrolet_usa/vega/vega_hatchback/1974.html

140 cu. in. aluminum block inline-4, 75 h.p. (No, it wouldn't bury the needle on an 85 mph speedo).

Apparently GM had a warped understanding of the word "winner..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------​

KLASSIC KUTIES!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

RANDOM KLUNKER!

BONUS VIDEOS!

This tan hatchback is exactly like the one I had! (Minus the black smoke)

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Buddy of mine had one of those Vegas. It literally started rusting a week after he bought it. The engine started smoking after a year,using a quart of oil a week. He sold it.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,489 (Edited)
Buddy of mine had one of those Vegas. It literally started rusting a week after he bought it. The engine started smoking after a year,using a quart of oil a week. He sold it.
Cast iron head on a sleeveless aluminum block = Recipe for disaster. It's been the story of my life. I'd get smitten by the looks and not pay attention to what's under the hood. Or windshield post in that case. As many times as my folks said "Jimmy, you can't judge a book by its cover," you'd think I'd have learned. But, noooo. I had the same problem with women. Never stopped to look under the hood. I'd think I had married Snow White, only to learn she was just a porcupine. :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
In the end you got it right with Pearl, and she keeps you in line. A full time job, I'm guessing?

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,492
P.S. You were right about Pearl, though. HOME RUN!

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
The 70s was also my "time" with lots of experience with Vegas. Never owned one but worked on serval my sisters had over the years. First one was burning lots of oil so we pulled the head off. Cylinders was torn up badly (
aluminum block could no withstand the rings). Brother say I will get the host so we can pull the engine. I told him no problem, I reached down and just picked up the engine by hand. These engines weighted almost nothing. All the weight was the head.

A positive time with a Vega. Remember the NASCAR Baby Grand series? Vegas vs Pintos. I worked with an engine builder that built NASCAR Grand National (later become Winston Cup series) engines. One of his customers wanted to build a Baby Grand for his son so we put together a Vega Engine (sleeved cylinders and the whole works). Now that one could scoot. He won several events with that engine. Based upon that success, we put together another engine that should have produced even more HP with lighter parts and better head work. But the son (driver) stepped up to Grand National before that engine was ever used. Would have loved to have seen that one on the track. There had already been a couple protest filed against the previous engine since it was so much faster than the other Vegas........ but the engine was totally legal and in some cases a little less than the rules allowed.

Reactions: Jimbob

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,494
The 70s was also my "time" with lots of experience with Vegas. Never owned one but worked on serval my sisters had over the years. First one was burning lots of oil so we pulled the head off. Cylinders was torn up badly (
aluminum block could no withstand the rings). Brother say I will get the host so we can pull the engine. I told him no problem, I reached down and just picked up the engine by hand. These engines weighted almost nothing. All the weight was the head.

A positive time with a Vega. Remember the NASCAR Baby Grand series? Vegas vs Pintos. I worked with an engine builder that built NASCAR Grand National (later become Winston Cup series) engines. One of his customers wanted to build a Baby Grand for his son so we put together a Vega Engine (sleeved cylinders and the whole works). Now that one could scoot. He won several events with that engine. Based upon that success, we put together another engine that should have produced even more HP with lighter parts and better head work. But the son (driver) stepped up to Grand National before that engine was ever used. Would have loved to have seen that one on the track. There had already been a couple protest filed against the previous engine since it was so much faster than the other Vegas........ but the engine was totally legal and in some cases a little less than the rules allowed.
You were far deeper into Vegas than I. I heard a lot of buzz about the Cosworth Vegas back then, but never really took the time to find out what they really were. I'll have to read up on them and post one up. They had to be better than the Corvair Spyders.

·
Car Whisperer
20,704 Posts
I had a Vega GT and like the good modder I am...header, new distributor and something else...don't recall, fun car to drive. got hit in it 3 times, not my fault any of the three and decided before I got killed in it I better trade it. got my 340 'Cuda then.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,496
Cosworth in the works. Probably post it up ma~nana... Stand by.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,497 (Edited)
Well, as I so often do, I put my foot in my mouth again. Of course, I'm referring to my bright remark about the Cosworth Vega being "better than" the Corvair Spyder. I was wrong. But, in my defense, if not for the times and the "Emission Police," I would have been right. Chevy planned to unleash the Cosworth in '74, but the new engine's 12:1 compression ratio sent those same emission boys into hissy fits, thus delaying the prom until the following year. The new car ended up with just 110 h.p. (compared to the Spyder's 150). A sad development, considering Chevy had beefed the new 16-valve DOHC EFI engine to 180 horses for the racetrack and intended giving the street version 135-140. A few enterprising gearheads, however, discovered that when they ran the exhaust out between the header and the dreaded catalytic converter, they suddenly were putting out 160 horses, rather than the paltry 110. Ya gotta love those gearheads!

Performance issues aside, the Cosworth wasn't a horribly bad performer and the looks spoke for themselves. The car looked like it was moving when sitting in your Grandma's driveway. But, it was the car's effect on pocketbooks that really spelled doom for the Cosworth, after just a 2-year run. The car cost twice that of an ordinary Vega and was only $800 shy of the Corvette! And so, like so many other Bowtie Brainstorms, the Cosworth was buried in a shallow grave and forgotten. But, some of us like to dig up the bones now and then, just to look at them and dream of what might have been. Here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1975 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega 1975-'76 Cosworth Vega and Cosworth Vega and Chevrolet Cosworth Vega - Wikipedia and https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/chevrolet_usa/vega/vega_cosworth/1975.html

122 cu. in. (2.0L) DOHC EFI I-4, 110 h.p.

For the "po' folk" who wanted to at least look fast there was still the GT

KLASSIC KUTIES!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BLASPHEMOUS BEATER!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS VIDEO!

P.S. Pay no mind to the giddy whippersnapper who claims this stock Cosworth has 120 h.p. I sent Lead Pipe Louie over to smack him around over it. --JB

·
Car Whisperer
20,704 Posts
if you liked vega's, the cosworth was the one.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,500
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the Cosworth Vega is turning in times about like the '57 Chevys with PowerPak did, back in the day. :unsure:

38481 - 38500 of 38542 Posts