Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
38501 - 38520 of 38542 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,502
My pickup truck is faster than both. Remember when 14.0 secs was fast? Now Mustang GT's are running in the 11's with automatic.
Heck, I'm so old I remember when 18.0 seconds was fast. :oops:

·
Car Whisperer
20,704 Posts
yep. my 'cuda would run 14's, with some mods, and back then that was fast.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,504
yep. my 'cuda would run 14's, with some mods, and back then that was fast.
Which got me to thinking. What is the World's Record fastest 1/4-mile ET, when was it set and what vehicle set it? Anyone?

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,507
A MEMORY I CAN'T SHAKE...

Another thing I've sometimes been accused of is telling a tale everyone has already heard and boring the bejesus out of them. That's what happens when a memory returns and starts eating my brain like a carpenter ant. But I have to tell the tale, lest I maybe even swell up like a puffer fish and pop. That's the way it works. Either tell the tale again or get mangled by a carpenter ant or pop like a swollen fish. I think I'll tell the tale again.

It was 1957. I was 10 and the car was a 2-year-old trade-in, sitting on our local Ford dealer's lot. I had ridden my Schwinn bicycle down to Loveland and was just snooping around, as boys will do. Mimicking my dad, I strolled the lot and kicked a few tires. And then, there it sat! The coolest car I had ever been that close to. A shiny turquoise 1955 Ford Thunderbird convertible with its top down. I walked around it, savoring every detail and every curve. I leaned over and looked inside. I marveled at a speedometer that went all the way to 150. I pondered whether or not to get inside, fearing the wrath of the Ford folks and the unquestioned embarrassment of being kicked out and told to never come back. I steeled myself, mustered my nerve and did it! I sat down behind the wheel. Visions of barreling down a country road danced in my head. And then...

"You like that car, don't you son?" came a booming voice from above. I froze. I trembled. I was sure death was imminent. I looked up and saw a portly man in an ill-fitting brown suit, a cigar dangling from his lips. "Uh, y-yeah, I do," I managed. "Well, that looks like a pretty nice Schwinn" he said, blowing a puff of cigar smoke skyward. "Tell you what, you trade-in that bike and give me $1,500.00 and you can just drive that T-Bird home, okay?" "Um, I-I don't have near that much in my savings account," I replied. He flicked an ash from his cigar. "Well, you keep on saving and when you get the money, come on back and see me," he said, handing me his business card. And with that, I rode off toward home, my mind conjuring visions of me making that withdrawal and riding back down to Ford one day. But, sometimes the fickle finger of fate intervenes and things change. By the time I had that kind of money it went for a 1963 Corvair Monza. But, that's life.

There. Tale told. Again. I won't pop. I won't be chewed on my ants. Here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1955 Ford Thunderbird convertible
1955-1957 Ford Thunderbird and Ford Thunderbird (first generation) - Wikipedia and https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/ford_usa/thunderbird_1gen/thunderbird_1gen_convertible/1955.html

292 cu. in. V-8, 198 h.p.

Little Jimmy's fantasy...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

KLASSIC KUTIES!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

UNKLAIMED KLUNKER!

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Car Whisperer
20,704 Posts
redid a 56 for my Dad years ago. black, red interior, white porthole roof, continental kit. nice little car. 312 auto

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,509
redid a 56 for my Dad years ago. black, red interior, white porthole roof, continental kit. nice little car. 312 auto
Cool. That continental kit was standard equipment in '56. Turned out to be a wild hair that went over like a lead balloon. A lot of people liked them at first, but became disenchanted when they had a flat and had to actually use it. Or the first time they had to actually load and then unload something from the trunk. Cumbersome and maddening would best describe it. It was available as an option for '57, but I can't remember ever seeing a '57 with one. So........

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,510
HEY, IS ANYONE HAVING TROUBLE WITH THIS SITE BEING SLOWER THAN MOLASSES RUNNING DOWN THE FACE OF AN ICEBERG ON SATURN? OR IS IT JUST ME?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
:oops:Not slow here:geek:

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,512 (Edited)
:oops:Not slow here:geek:
Hmmmmmm... Verrry interesting. Might have to give Orkin a call.

UPDATE: I'll be dipped. Woke up for my nightly jog and discovered that things are back to normal. I'm running somewhere between Warp and Ludicrous, in fact. All day yesterday both my PC and this tablet were hobbling along like the Walking Dead. Go figure. Must've been...

👽👽👽🤑👽👽👽

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,513 (Edited)
[insert crickets here]

🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗:oops:🦗🦗🦗 🦗 🦗🦗🦗

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,514 (Edited)
Dead crickets for sale. Cheap! Fine for chocolate coating. $2/lb.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,515

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Got a scam alert for everybody.
I got an e-mail a week or so ago from a name that I knew. Asked if I would be interested in pen pal duty with a US Army officer in Kabul. I said sure. They gave me an e-mail address and I sent off a hello.Major. Got a response, a lady Major with pictures, nice looking. First couple e-mails were fine, then "she" got very flirty and inappropriate. Turns out the party in question wanted money to fly to meet me. Smelled a rat and cut it off and blocked them. What made me really mad was that these scammers were impersonating an officer in the US Army.
I checked back in my e-mail log and the initial e-mail I got was from a name I knew but different e-mail address.
Watch yourselves out there, people are hijacking names and running scams.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,517 (Edited)
Got a scam alert for everybody.
I got an e-mail a week or so ago from a name that I knew. Asked if I would be interested in pen pal duty with a US Army officer in Kabul. I said sure. They gave me an e-mail address and I sent off a hello.Major. Got a response, a lady Major with pictures, nice looking. First couple e-mails were fine, then "she" got very flirty and inappropriate. Turns out the party in question wanted money to fly to meet me. Smelled a rat and cut it off and blocked them. What made me really mad was that these scammers were impersonating an officer in the US Army.
I checked back in my e-mail log and the initial e-mail I got was from a name I knew but different e-mail address.
Watch yourselves out there, people are hijacking names and running scams.
Yep. They're clever. They do it over the phone all the time, too. They use a number with your local area code and claim to be from your bank or your credit card company --- all phony stuff to try to dupe people into giving up confidential information. If you had continued to "pursue" the hot "Major" (but refused to send any money) they would've resorted to threatening to expose your "attempted debauchery" to you wife, family members and/or friends. Sad, but these days you can't trust anyone (unless you've dealt with them as friends for years, like us). That said, what did you say that routing number of yours was? 🤗

·
Car Whisperer
20,704 Posts
yup, watch yourselves everyone, even with names you think you recognize. look at the e-mail address first when you get something allegedly from someone you know and the content is not what would be normal.

·
37,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38,520 (Edited)
yup, watch yourselves everyone, even with names you think you recognize. look at the e-mail address first when you get something allegedly from someone you know and the content is not what would be normal.
I've had that same scam tried on me, too, Tim. I clicked it, but then knew the "content" wasn't something Paul (you remember Paul?) would have sent me, so.........POOF! It vanished in the twinkling of a click.

Below is that "Paul" I spoke of. Another quitter on the "IMBOC Pile of Quitters Monument," I guess. If that pile ever starts to tumble, we'll all be killed! There was a mass exodus of thousands when the "Honaker/Nixon/Andersson/Cochese Hulabaloo" hit... :oops:

Other notables include Chris, aka "Bikeboy;" Dennis, aka "Dennis the Menace;" Gary, aka "VanisleBullitt;" Dick, aka "DicksCar" or "Gilligan;" Will, aka "The Kraut;" Mike Richardson, aka "Doc," Zeke, aka "Zeke," Paul Rocha, aka "the guy with the Mohawk haircut"...... the list goes on and on and on and on, but my fingers have grown tired, so...............

38501 - 38520 of 38542 Posts