Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%
39281 - 39300 of 39359 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Thinking about it..yeah, there are dinosaurs out there. Got a postcard in today's mail from one...informing me that the high school class of 1961 will be holding a 60th reunion come August. I always shred those notices...I'm afraid to be seen with dinosaurs. Somebody might think I am one! :eek:

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,282 (Edited)
Thinking about it..yeah, there are dinosaurs out there. Got a postcard in today's mail from one...informing me that the high school class of 1961 will be holding a 60th reunion come August. I always shred those notices...I'm afraid to be seen with dinosaurs. Somebody might think I am one! :eek:
I've never gone to one. Mine would be the 57th reunion this year. I have often dreamed of having a dance with my old high school sweetie, but it always turned into a nightmare. We'd always end up in a huge argument over how she dumped me in the middle of a war zone and ran off with my best buddy. It would cause a scene and was a big embarrassment. The good part of the dream would always be the big "Drum Battle" on the gym stage, only this time Jimbob won the contest. The guy that beat me out could do more with one hand than old Jimbob could do with two. But hey, I always got big props for holding a steady beat (kind of like Ringo). Anyway, no thanks. No reunion for me. Dinosaurs, indeed. (BTW, that drummer who beat me out became the drummer for our damn good band, "The Trojans"). We were a band ahead of our time. We did music none of the other "garage bands" even attempted. Stuff by The Byrds and difficult Beatles' songs like "Drive My Car" and cuts from their album "Rubber Soul." Ahead of our time. The kids would just stand and stare blankly. They wanted "Rock-a-Billy" crap. We'd always cringe when they'd walk up and ask for a "Johnny Rivers" number. Sheesh! What dweebs.

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,283 (Edited)
Forgotten year, forgotten Ford...

1958. The year started with a rather subdued thrill with NASA launching America's first Earth satellite. Subdued because, not unlike my big brother's basketball team, we were runner-up. With Sputnik, the Soviet Union had beaten us to the punch the year before. It got worse from there. The country soon fell into the thick mud of a deep depression. Laid off workers ambled around suburban homes, trying to stay busy, but invariably only succeeding in drawing the ire of the wife. It was not happy times, and fewer and fewer made the leap of purchasing a new car.

Those that did, didn't bother thinking about a new Ford, largely because the re-styling left something to be desired. For the first time since 1952, Ford abandoned its round taillights, in favor of a pair of odd plastic gravy boats on each side of a sunken-center trunk lid. The dual headlights looked out of place and the grille was a busy, hodge-podge arrangement of glittering chrome and chicken-wire. Chickens liked it, but not many people. So, for those reasons, Ford (along with the entire auto industry), suffered hard times.

On a positive note, the new '58 Ford was mechanically much better than the year before. Ride and steering were better and, under the hood sat a candy-store of great engine choices. Folks could save money on gas, or gobble it up like a shark on a feeding frenzy. With the Special Interceptor V-8, most folks chose to gobble. There's just something about springing from zero to 60 in 9.5 seconds that people liked. And so, here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1958 Ford Fairlane 500 2-door hardtop 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 - conceptcarz.com and 1957-1959 Ford Styling and The Classic Ford facts about Classic 1958 Ford Production Statistics

352 cu. in. "Interceptor Special" V-8, 300 h.p.

So then, was the '58 Ford really a "chick magnet?" :rolleyes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

KLASSIC KUTIES!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS VIDEOS!

This one features Tennessee Ernie Ford being, well, Tennessee Ernie Ford. He was the real deal and man, I miss him!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PAUL'S PATINA!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
My parents had a 58 Meteor (Canadian), two tone white and blue. 292, 3 spd, 3:90 axle. It was fast but the body required new rocker panels every year and it rusted out badly by 1966. Replace with a 64 Mercury Parklane, 352 Auto., with the powered back cut rear window. Nice car

·
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,287
Credit the '57 Merc Turnpike Cruiser for that inward sloping rear power glass. Dad wanted it bad, but alas, he decided to be frugal and rolled with the Montclair. Oh well...

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Well, anything would have been better than my dad's choice,,,a '56 Buick Roadmaster 4 door...nothing could have been less cool to my high school age eyes...

·
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,289 (Edited)
Well, anything would have been better than my dad's choice,,,a '56 Buick Roadmaster 4 door...nothing could have been less cool to my high school age eyes...
Sometimes you have to search for these things, Paul. I mean, there had to be SOMETHING about that car that warmed the cockles of your father's heart. You have to put yourself in his shoes and study it. Go over every line, every feature... "Well, look for it, damn your eyes, LOOK FOR IT!" 😁

And hey, ALL wasn't bad in '56. Tennessee Ernie Ford came out with this one that year...

·
Registered
211 Posts
My grandfather had a super 88 and he took me for a ride when I was real small to 85 MPH and that hooked me on cars !!!

Reactions: Jimbob

·
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,291
My grandfather had a super 88 and he took me for a ride when I was real small to 85 MPH and that hooked me on cars !!!
Good point. Maybe Paul should start by looking under the hood of that '56 Buick. Those old Roadmasters would SCOOT!

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Oh, I liked the Buick nailhead V-8. I mean, TV Tommy Ivo liked 'em. ;)

But the "dyno-slop" transmission left lots to be desired, and you did not want to see how badly it cornered...

1000% yuk luxobarge!

·
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,293
Oh, I liked the Buick nailhead V-8. I mean, TV Tommy Ivo liked 'em. ;)

But the "dyno-slop" transmission left lots to be desired, and you did not want to see how badly it cornered...

1000% yuk luxobarge!
STILL, there had to be SOMETHING your dad saw that you don't. LOOK FOR IT! :ROFLMAO:

·
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,294

·
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,295 (Edited)
All right, all right, not EVERYONE dislikes '58 Fords. This guy is, well, downright giddy over them. Watch how he prances and prissies his way around this fabulous example. I know!

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Cried through Paul Harvey...and Laughed out loud at the '58 Ford video...many thanks for both.

In my defense...I did say the nailhead Buick was a good engine. Had to be for TV Tommy Ivo to use them in his rods...:)

·
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,297
Cried through Paul Harvey...and Laughed out loud at the '58 Ford video...many thanks for both.

In my defense...I did say the nailhead Buick was a good engine. Had to be for TV Tommy Ivo to use them in his rods...:)
Paul Harvey was a prophet. We just didn't know it.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Yep...Indeed. Paul Harvey was a good man. Memories of listening to his talks. You know, I'm kinda glad I'm an old fart. Really don't feel like I belong in the brave new world of today. Gives a kind of peace knowing I won't be around to put up with it all that much longer.

·
37,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #39,299
Yep...Indeed. Paul Harvey was a good man. Memories of listening to his talks. You know, I'm kinda glad I'm an old fart. Really don't feel like I belong in the brave new world of today. Gives a kind of peace knowing I won't be around to put up with it all that much longer.
i'm with you on that one. When thugs and cheaters are our new heroes, it's time to check out! And that's not political --- it's just a plain common sense observation.

Reactions: pwd72s

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Yep! Now in the interest of peace and love...I found a video with a bit of Hot Rod history. Including Norm's "kookie car" and Tommy's T bucket running a nailhead. Narrated by a guy who was there. Sort of a reflection of a time when we had more freedom, including with cars. Could you imagine either of these cars being allowed on the streets of today? Yet, there they were..cruising the drive-ins of their era...

(edit) These guys were kind of heroes....as I would read about them in the pages of HOT Rod, while in study hall..

39281 - 39300 of 39359 Posts