Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%
40081 - 40100 of 40185 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
Ahhh, the great Jackie Gleason. He was so good in one role that a mouthy pool hustler previously known as New York Fats changed his name to Minnesota Fats and made money that way. Oh, he could play some, but he wasn't the world class player he claimed to be. A truly entertaining character though...

Minnesota Fats Meets Fast Eddie Felson "The Hustler" - YouTube

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,083 (Edited)
More "progress..." (Cancel Culture?)

Here I go making myself sick again. Took a trip (via Google Earth) past the old Kings Mills school, only to learn that the old high school building is no more. It has morphed into a parking lot. My old elementary building, though, is still standing (the red brick 2-storey building in the background). But the old old building? History.

Here's what the old high school building looked like back in the Stone Age...

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
For some reason, "public" schools love the idea of tearing down the old and building new. "Progress", don't ya know...

We're just old curmudgeons resisting change. Bunch of deplorables clinging to our guns, religion, and memories.

The excuse for tearing down a lovely old school building here was that it wasn't earthquake designed...

·
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,085 (Edited)
For some reason, "public" schools love the idea of tearing down the old and building new. "Progress", don't ya know...

We're just old curmudgeons resisting change. Bunch of deplorables clinging to our guns, religion, and memories.

The excuse for tearing down a lovely old school building here was that it wasn't earthquake designed...
LOL! Somehow I can't imagine that old school with solar panels on the roof, bamboo siding and blacked-out energy efficient windows. :rolleyes:

Yep, Since Jimbob graced their hallowed halls, Kings Mills schools are on their third reinvention of its high school now (and probably planning the fourth). Their football stadium would rival any NFL joint. Unreal. Hard to believe my old elementary buildings are still in use. Probably for the "special needs" kids. Or maybe just regular elementary. Sign said KIngs Mills Elementary. Nothing about special (although when I went there, I certainly was special). :rolleyes:

Ha! talking about "tearing things down," there's a big, high, long bridge over on Fulton Ave. that they decided to implode so they could build a new one. Local TV was on the scene for the big implosion, anchor with microphone in hand, the suspense building, the clock ticking and then BOOM! the bombs go off. Clouds of dust fill the air. When the dust begins to clear, there's the old bridge, still standing. Mouths fell open and smacked people in the chest. The news anchor scratched his head and stood there looking stupid. The old bridge was tougher than any TNT they could muster. Finally, the next day, after rigging enough TNT to start World War III, the old thing finally fell (see below). :ROFLMAO:

The new bridge just doesn't have the warmth and charm of that old bridge. They put up phony "gas lights" to try to appease the old folks, but it doesn't help. We all long for the old bridge. The old one wasn't broke. Why fix it? Why, oh why? :mad:

·
Car Whisperer
21,049 Posts
me no upstart...me downstart.

·
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,088 (Edited)
Ford's '69 Sleeper...

When the Cobra Jet slithered into Ford showrooms, gearheads began shuffling into those showrooms like the Walking Dead. When Ford shoehorned it's 428 Police Interceptor motor under the hood of an everyday no-frills Torino, those gearheads had the perfect sleeper, with no Serta involved. The brochures and ads all said it put out 335 horsepower, but after a test drive this rating had those gearheads laughing into cupped hands. My first ride with my buddy in his Cobra had me kissing the ground afterwards (his Cobra Jet, however was the fastback). Anyway, anyone with a half-ounce of sense knew this baby was cranking out at least 400 horses. It was quick and it was mean, and with the fastbacks dime a dozen, the guy with the hardtop coupe had the best sleeper money could buy (But sometimes that little chrome snake on the front fenders and trunk lid gave it away). Here's today's...

1969 Ford Torino Cobra coupe 1968-1969 Ford Cobra: A Snake Amoungst SuperCars and 1969 Ford Cobra

428 cu. in. Police Interceptor V-8, 335 h.p. (But don't you believe it. Oh, and apologies for "Hershel," the engine detailer/painter, who was overly fond of the blue paint. "Hey Clyde, I really like this blue! Let's paint this thing-dingy blue. And that thing over thar!") :rolleyes:

Eat your heart out, Sportsroof...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KURT'S KUTIES!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAUL'S PATINA!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS VIDEO!

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
The little chrome snake? If I had one back then, I'd have probably removed it...sleeper, always better as far as I'm concerned.

Isn't that "patina" car a newer Torino or something? Please forgive my ignorance. My Mustang was my first Ford purchase since I dumped a 1960 Ford.

I noticed they avoided saying the price in that video...so, I'd venture it's less than this well refurbished but NOT restored to original 1967 911S. Still no regrets on selling my '72 (Generally recognized as the most desirable S) for a very much mere 5 figures friend's price. I rest easy knowing that my car is forever out of the grasp of the flippers and pimps like some of those commenting on this auction.

1967 Porsche 911S Coupe for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $196,000 on February 18, 2021 (Lot #43,366) | Bring a Trailer

As for today? Whatever gets me to my favorite poolhall and back home...if it ever reopens. The mustang is a car I can park behind the pool hall, then walk in without looking back. Can't do that with either the Cobra Torino or that 911S...both have reached the point of not really being cars anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Traded my 65 Mustang for a formal roof 68 Torino 390 4 speed. Never even considered the 428. S DUMMY ME!!!! 390 was 335 hp. And it had legs on top end!!! Seen 140-1 time!! Yes it only registered 120 but that was at the 4 o’clock position on the circular speedometer. I guessed at 140 as the needle was at 6 o’clock position when I ran out of road.
Good friend of mine is a retired Kentucky State Trooper. He was a road trooper during the 428 68-69 Galaxie days and the 440 Dodge cruiser too. He said on the interstate roads the Ford was hands down the winner on top end. Bad A$$!
That 69 Cobra Torino had to be an awesome car In its day!!!

·
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,091
The little chrome snake? If I had one back then, I'd have probably removed it...sleeper, always better as far as I'm concerned.

Isn't that "patina" car a newer Torino or something? Please forgive my ignorance. My Mustang was my first Ford purchase since I dumped a 1960 Ford.

I noticed they avoided saying the price in that video...so, I'd venture it's less than this well refurbished but NOT restored to original 1967 911S. Still no regrets on selling my '72 (Generally recognized as the most desirable S) for a very much mere 5 figures friend's price. I rest easy knowing that my car is forever out of the grasp of the flippers and pimps like some of those commenting on this auction.

1967 Porsche 911S Coupe for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $196,000 on February 18, 2021 (Lot #43,366) | Bring a Trailer

As for today? Whatever gets me to my favorite poolhall and back home...if it ever reopens. The mustang is a car I can park behind the pool hall, then walk in without looking back. Can't do that with either the Cobra Torino or that 911S...both have reached the point of not really being cars anymore.
The "patina car" appears to be a '71 or so basic Torino. Dunno how that happened. Jimbob brainfart, most likely. Joe ain't got nuthin' on me. C'mon, man!

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
You are forgiven...post in peace.

On another topic entirely, the pool world has been saddened with some bad news. Always bad news it seems.

Billiards Star Jeanette 'The Black Widow' Lee Diagnosed With Terminal Cancer (tmz.com)

Jeanette probably the most recognized of all pool players by those outside the pool world. This brought me a memory of a long ago article I enjoyed. I believe in Sports Illustrated, but memory could be off on that. The writer would often go to a bar that had it's top dog of a player. Evidently this top dog a bit of a bragging type. So, with Jeanette's help, they set the guy up. Jeanette in disguise as a bimbo, they cleaned his wallet. All in good fun, the guy got his money back...but perhaps he learned something? I saved a pic from the article...

Janettein disguise.jpg

(edit) sorry, dunno why the two pics and couldn't figure out how to delete just one.

·
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,093
You are forgiven...post in peace.

On another topic entirely, the pool world has been saddened with some bad news. Always bad news it seems.

Billiards Star Jeanette 'The Black Widow' Lee Diagnosed With Terminal Cancer (tmz.com)

Jeanette probably the most recognized of all pool players by those outside the pool world. This brought me a memory of a long ago article I enjoyed. I believe in Sports Illustrated, but memory could be off on that. The writer would often go to a bar that had it's top dog of a player. Evidently this top dog a bit of a bragging type. So, with Jeanette's help, they set the guy up. Jeanette in disguise as a bimbo, they cleaned his wallet. All in good fun, the guy got his money back...but perhaps he learned something? I saved a pic from the article...

View attachment 78670

(edit) sorry, dunno why the two pics and couldn't figure out how to delete just one.
Pull up your post on "Edit," hit "Preview," position the cursor just to the right bottom of the far right pic, then hit the backspace button. Hit "Save."

PRESTO!

·
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,094

Let Paul Harvey warm the cockles of your heart...

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
A mighty fine pickle raid, Jimbob.

Loved Paul Harvey's tribute to our founding fathers. Evidently, some in the great state of Californicate disagree...striking the names of Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, and other founding fathers from high school names.

·
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,097
A mighty fine pickle raid, Jimbob.

Loved Paul Harvey's tribute to our founding fathers. Evidently, some in the great state of Californicate disagree...striking the names of Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, and other founding fathers from high school names.
Heard those boys in the northern counties want to break away and start a new state called "Jefferson." Wonder if they will?

·
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,098 (Edited)
PICKLE JAM...

Impromptu jam sessions. That's the way it always starts. This guy did it and had just a tad of success. A big part of that success was in keeping that "jam session" feel.

·
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,099 (Edited)
GOODER THAN GOOD!

May have been "disco," but there's no denying.... it was GOOD!

Reactions: Marguerite

·
38,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,100
hmmm...

40081 - 40100 of 40185 Posts