Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%
40101 - 40120 of 40184 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
Heard those boys in the northern counties want to break away and start a new state called "Jefferson." Wonder if they will?
Well, it's more the sparsely populated East of the Cascades counties...but my guess is it'll go nowhere. Oregon is a state divided..the liberal larger cities ruling over the less populated areas. Votes wise, 6 counties rule over all the rest of Oregon. Portland the biggest city....you've seen plenty of it on the national news, right?

Pickle raids...guess disco is better than rap. And country ain't bad...only station I could get on the first night of power out was country. But guess I'll always have a rock n' roll heart.

(edit) Are those John's kids? Yep, I'm a CCR fan...have every one of their albums on Vinyl...

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
Here's a pickle raid CCR song you may have a spiritual connection to? Lodi...a smaller agricultural town in California's central valley...(edit) but at Least Lodi isn't Manteca where they had a sugar beet factory that would stink to high heaven. Still have a memory of that...passing the sugar beet factory while riding in the back seat of dad's '56 Buick on the way to a family gathering in Modesto, Dad's home town. "Dad? What's that STINK?"

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Lodi (Official Lyric Video) - YouTube

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,103 (Edited)
Well, it's more the sparsely populated East of the Cascades counties...but my guess is it'll go nowhere. Oregon is a state divided..the liberal larger cities ruling over the less populated areas. Votes wise, 6 counties rule over all the rest of Oregon. Portland the biggest city....you've seen plenty of it on the national news, right?

Pickle raids...guess disco is better than rap. And country ain't bad...only station I could get on the first night of power out was country. But guess I'll always have a rock n' roll heart.

(edit) Are those John's kids? Yep, I'm a CCR fan...have every one of their albums on Vinyl...
No, No, No, No No! They were talking about the northern counties of CALF. , not Oregon. Hadn't heard diddly squat about Oregon on the news.

Wait! Hold the phone! I misspoke. The newscast I watched didn't mention that the "state" of Jefferson includes some southern Oregon counties. Nor did they mention that this "ghost" state has been around since 1941. Nor that it actually once had its own governor. Here's the straight story on Jefferson. (Aha! Turns out I was right. The Oregon counties no longer express interest in the new "state," and now the proposed state would consist of 11 northern California counties --- instead of the original 4 --- and none from Oregon).

·
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,104 (Edited)
Circa May 7, 2016

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorite GTO...

Over the years, when the subject of GTO's would come up, I'd estimate that about 80-percent of the guys would say the '67 Goat was their favorite. And it was a sharp one, for sure. But the one that has always warmed the cockles of my heart is the '65. I'm sure that's due to the fact that I owned one. I bought it used from a school buddy who'd just about worn it completely out. But, I'll never forget the first time I took it out to "see what it would do." It was scary fast. A tire-burning, fire-breathing, neck-snapping metal monster with 3-deuces and a 4-speed. But when the day came that I feared going bankrupt from replacing motor mounts, I sold it. Still, when I think of that car, my cockles begin to heat up. Other than mine was chocolate brown metallic, this one is mine to the tee. Here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1965 Pontiac Tempest LeMans GTO
1965 Pontiac GTO ? Truly a Legend - Old Car Memories and Pontiac GTO - Wikipedia and 1965 Pontiac Tempest LeMans (GTO, Series 237) - Conceptcarz

389 cid, 4-bbl carb, 335 h.p. @ 5,000 rpm

389 cid, 3 2-bbl carbs, 360 h.p. @ 5,200 rpm (My set-up)

More GTO info at: https://www.netcarshow.com/pontiac/1965-gto/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KURT'S KUTIE (TRIPLE PLAY!)

KURT'S FAR EASTERN FANTASY!
(Metal pan not included)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KRAUT'S KLUNKER!

·
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,105 (Edited)
Are those John's kids? Yep, I'm a CCR fan...have every one of their albums on Vinyl...
Yes, "Fogarty Factory" is John's family. That's Shane, Tyler and Kelsy, his youngest kids. Bob, another Fogarty, helps out with the filming and sound. Something John threw together to have fun and weather the COVID storm. They cut an album in May 2020. He says he enjoys the music and the love. John is 75 now. Gotta love it!

The album, "Fogarty's Factory" is available on Amazon. The CD is $9.79 and if you want a vinyl LP, it's $21.97. If you get the CD they are throwing in the MP3 version of the album FREE! Get that Debit Card out and get it!

LINK: Fogerty's Factory (Expanded) by John Fogerty on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

Reactions: bullit4404

·
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,106
Here's a few of John and the kids jamming...

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
My bad..but not really. There was talk here of Oregon dividing into two states...also called "Jefferson", if I recall. Probably because Oregon often follows California, especially when it comes to bad ideas.

Wow! Think I'll pass on the CD or the vinyl, but it sure looks like John raised a talented and good looking brood there.
Loved the parody pic of the old cosmos factory LP cover. Kudos to John and his kids!

(edit) My first new car was a '65 GTO. Think I told you (too late) the cure for those broken weenie strength motor mounts. But my memory may be too realistic. Wouldn't trade my Bullitt for a '65 GTO, money aside. The Bullitt is a far superior ride as far as driving enjoyment goes. Yeah...but it took Ford a spell to get there...;)

·
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,108 (Edited)
Alrighty then, but you can no longer make the claim that you "own every John Fogarty album." Dang, I didn't know you were so strapped that you can't get up off of $9.79 for a CD. Maybe we should start up a Go Fund Me account for ya... :ROFLMAO:

Of course, you could just learn Spanish, dress up in filthy clothes and swear you're from Honduras. That way, you'll soon have your pockets full of cash, a nice new apartment for free, all the food you can eat and could even enroll at Harvard and get a PhD for free. Just tell them the "Big Guy" sent you!

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
Sadly, that's all true. But I'm an old curmudgeon...careful about putting my card numbers out there willy-nilly on the net.
Amazon..I quit buying from them long ago. Won't use paypal, which does not use the same security as a bank, and other stuff. Got caught up in the mess when Target got hacked...it was like pulling teeth to dump a debit card and get a new one issued, which we seldom use. For lots of stuff, we've reverted back to cash...simply plan ahead, go to our bank, get cash when we run low. Pretty difficult for the hackers to hack cash..

Also, think I said I had every CCR album, right? Although I do have "centerfield", which is not CCR..Just John.

If I had a suggestion to make for John, it would be for he and his sons to be sitting around cleaning firearms and loudly discussing various ways to hide a body when young lads come calling for that cute young daughter. ;)

·
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,110 (Edited)
Sadly, that's all true. But I'm an old curmudgeon...careful about putting my card numbers out there willy-nilly on the net.
Amazon..I quit buying from them long ago. Won't use paypal, which does not use the same security as a bank, and other stuff. Got caught up in the mess when Target got hacked...it was like pulling teeth to dump a debit card and get a new one issued, which we seldom use. For lots of stuff, we've reverted back to cash...simply plan ahead, go to our bank, get cash when we run low. Pretty difficult for the hackers to hack cash..

Also, think I said I had every CCR album, right? Although I do have "centerfield", which is not CCR..Just John.

If I had a suggestion to make for John, it would be for he and his sons to be sitting around cleaning firearms and loudly discussing various ways to hide a body when young lads come calling for that cute young daughter. ;)
I have purchased enough stuff to completely fill King Tut's tomb and have yet to have one problem, one hack, or one lost dime. I use PayPal all the time. I use Amazon all the time. As for Fogarty, he WAS CCR. Without him, that band would be The Crickets without Buddy Holly. As for Kelsy, yeah, I used to worry about the same thing with Samantha and kept a watchful eye on hairy-legged slobberheads. Never had a problem. Pearl taught Sam everything she knows (testicle kicking, karate chops to the throat, full body slam, the usual stuff). Plus, she can handle any gun and is fluent in the use of the word "No!."

·
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,112
First question: A gentleman never tells.

Second comment: Whatever floats your boat.

General comment: Pearl can shoot a single hair off a flea's butt from 200 yds. with that rifle.

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
I didn't know that flea butts had hairs...lol! Must be a damned fine bit of optics there to even see a flea at 200 yards.

Good on ya...keeping a protective eye on Samantha when she was a young one. But thinking about it, from my vantage point, just about anybody is a youngn'...

(edit) On a cars thing..found this interesting. Motor Trend's best driver's car of 2020. Picjed a mustang as #2...over some much higher priced iron.

Best Driver’s Car 2020: Final Finishing Order (motortrend.com)

·
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,114 (Edited)
I didn't know that flea butts had hairs...lol! Must be a damned fine bit of optics there to even see a flea at 200 yards.

Good on ya...keeping a protective eye on Samantha when she was a young one. But thinking about it, from my vantage point, just about anybody is a youngn'...

(edit) On a cars thing..found this interesting. Motor Trend's best driver's car of 2020. Picjed a mustang as #2...over some much higher priced iron.

Best Driver’s Car 2020: Final Finishing Order (motortrend.com)
There are two ways of spotting those butt hairs. One, an electron microscope. Two, the scope of Pearl's rifle. She can spot the flea with her bare eyes. She made a deal with the devil and Annie Oakley at a crossroads a long time ago.

My claim to fame is the "Expert" badge on my old Army uniform. I was always proud of that. Not many pop-up silhouettes lived through Jimbob's rifle range test that day. :ROFLMAO: Looking back on it, that was sort of a stupid thing to do. It's a wonder they didn't make me a sniper! 👀

Hand grenade test went well, too. All three tosses hit the bulls-eye circle, but the final toss actually clanged off the dead-center post! The tester looked at me as if to make sure I was human. I just grinned.

Mustangs? They speak for themselves. Even my big bro saw the light before he checked out.

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
Yep...Pearl can really shoot. Sniper school? No thanks...seems like a risky career choice to me. Funny story here. Summer of 1971. The Sun Valley Porsche Parade...think the Mustang Nationals only Porsche. Anyway, a nightly party with booze flowing...Bob Caspell and I talking guns. I'd noticed that Sun Valley had gun club facilities, so I'd packed my little browning Challenger .22 and a brick of ammo. Anyway, Helen Powell overheard us...came over, told us her hubby Vic shot in the marines. So, Vic came over to us, a time was set during some free time from the events, and the 3 of us headed for the range. When we arrived, the old rangemaster, a former USMC gunny, came up to us...stuck his hand out to Powell, and said: "Vic Powell! I left the corps the year they gave you the best new shooter award." Gulp! Vic had been on the USMC competitive shooting team. He told us he'd never touched a gun until in basic, but following instruction, he seemed to have a knack...so they just took him aside, and the training began. All he did during his hitch was shoot.

I learned a lot that day...gripping technique, breathing, and more. I did improve my handgun ability, thanks to Vic. He did say that my Browning was one of the best out of the box pistols he'd shot. Further probing reveled that his competition guns were tuned and built by the USMC. If there was anything he didn't like, back to the armory the gun would go for some fine tuning until it was as he liked. Funny, that's how cue makers and the pool pros they sponsor do things, too. Buy a Skyler Woodward model Meucci cue and it's not necessarily the exact same Meucci Skyler shoots with. Table time is spent at the factory until the cue is exactly as the pro wants.

I needn't say who was the best shooter at the Sun Valley range that day. But hey, following instructions, I was a distant 2nd. Vic's 5 shot groups at 25 feet just made one large hole..very few wild ones outside those groups....possibly the ammo since the brick I brought was just regular .22 LR, not match ammo. I felt pretty good that I could group under an inch by the end of the day. The old made in Belgium models of the Browning Challenger are still sought by competitive shooters today. I just lucked out when I bought mine all those years ago based mainly on it's looks.

The Mustang? Here's Randy Probst making a hot lap around Laguna Seca in the 2020 Mustang GT500. Do I need it in order to get to the Cue ball? Nope. Sure is fun to watch, tho...especially knowing it was faster than the much touted new mid engine Corvette. :)

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 CFTP Hot Lap! - 2020 Best Driver's Car Contender - YouTube

·
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,116
Yep...Pearl can really shoot. Sniper school? No thanks...seems like a risky career choice to me. Funny story here. Summer of 1971. The Sun Valley Porsche Parade...think the Mustang Nationals only Porsche. Anyway, a nightly party with booze flowing...Bob Caspell and I talking guns. I'd noticed that Sun Valley had gun club facilities, so I'd packed my little browning Challenger .22 and a brick of ammo. Anyway, Helen Powell overheard us...came over, told us her hubby Vic shot in the marines. So, Vic came over to us, a time was set during some free time from the events, and the 3 of us headed for the range. When we arrived, the old rangemaster, a former USMC gunny, came up to us...stuck his hand out to Powell, and said: "Vic Powell! I left the corps the year they gave you the best new shooter award." Gulp! Vic had been on the USMC competitive shooting team. He told us he'd never touched a gun until in basic, but following instruction, he seemed to have a knack...so they just took him aside, and the training began. All he did during his hitch was shoot.

I learned a lot that day...gripping technique, breathing, and more. I did improve my handgun ability, thanks to Vic. He did say that my Browning was one of the best out of the box pistols he'd shot. Further probing reveled that his competition guns were tuned and built by the USMC. If there was anything he didn't like, back to the armory the gun would go for some fine tuning until it was as he liked. Funny, that's how cue makers and the pool pros they sponsor do things, too. Buy a Skyler Woodward model Meucci cue and it's not necessarily the exact same Meucci Skyler shoots with. Table time is spent at the factory until the cue is exactly as the pro wants.

I needn't say who was the best shooter at the Sun Valley range that day. But hey, following instructions, I was a distant 2nd. Vic's 5 shot groups at 25 feet just made one large hole..very few wild ones outside those groups....possibly the ammo since the brick I brought was just regular .22 LR, not match ammo. I felt pretty good that I could group under an inch by the end of the day. The old made in Belgium models of the Browning Challenger are still sought by competitive shooters today. I just lucked out when I bought mine all those years ago based mainly on it's looks.

The Mustang? Here's Randy Probst making a hot lap around Laguna Seca in the 2020 Mustang GT500. Do I need it in order to get to the Cue ball? Nope. Sure is fun to watch, tho...especially knowing it was faster than the much touted new mid engine Corvette. :)

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 CFTP Hot Lap! - 2020 Best Driver's Car Contender - YouTube
Only pre-Army shooting I did was shooting skeet with a 12-gauge shotgun with my Dad. He had a clay pigeon thrower. I hated "my turn" to be the pigeon launcher. The only the thing between my back and a shotgun blast was the top of a wooden picnic table. The shot would probably have gone right through it. But hey, we were having fun, right?

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
Jimbob, not to worry. The fine shot used in shooting clays probably wouldn't penetrate the picnic table top. Please note that I said "probably"...

So, when serving Uncle, you probably heard of this guy...evidently a pretty good shot..

Carlos Hathcock - Wikipedia

·
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #40,118
Jimbob, not to worry. The fine shot used in shooting clays probably wouldn't penetrate the picnic table top. Please note that I said "probably"...

So, when serving Uncle, you probably heard of this guy...evidently a pretty good shot..

Carlos Hathcock - Wikipedia
Yeah, but I think we were using regular shotgun shells. 👀

·
Premium Member
14,405 Posts
It's hard to tell,,,depending on what you mean by "regular". There's a wide range of shot shell loads, varying velocities, ranges, size of the shot itself. Did your dad hunt? Probably the old lead shot back in the days you describe. If your dad hunted birds, he probably used #6 bird shot, the load my dad & I used for pheasant hunting. I doubt #6 lead would penetrate a picnic table top if it was 1/2" or more thick. Since your dad was shooting clays, I doubt he used 00 buckshot, which discharges 8 .38 caliber projectiles with one shot. Yep, per second of shooting, a guy skilled with a shotgun loaded with double ought buck, can put more lead in the air than a guy with a fully automatic Uzi. A cop here told me a burglar is scared to death of two sounds...the growl/bark of an angry big dog and a frightened housewife shucking a shell into the breech of a pump shotgun.

Shotgun Shell Sizes: Comparison Chart and Commonly Used Terms (gunnewsdaily.com)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
To tell you how times have changed: In High School I was in the Army Cadets. We had a range in the basement of the school, in the cafeteria! The ladies would close up the kitchen, and we'd pop the doors off the range box to reveal stacked railway ties and a foot of sand in behind. We shot converted 22 cal. Lee Enfields with telescopic peep sights. I was a good shot, got my "cross rifles and crown," expert level. 10 shots in the bullseye in one minute from the prone position at 50 ft. Single shot, bolt action. Now, of course, no guns allowed in schools. This was in the late 60's and it was normal to hear gun fire in the hall after 3:30 PM.

40101 - 40120 of 40184 Posts