Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%
41081 - 41100 of 41207 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
Good natured fellow!!

Reactions: pwd72s

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,083 · (Edited)
Willys' car for the poor...

Founded in 1912, there was a time when the Willys-Overland company was the second largest producer of automobiles in the country. By the time the 40s rolled around work was being done to create a car that was easy to own and economical to run. A car for the "poor," if you will. This led to the "Americar" in 1941 --- a name specifically intended to arouse patriotism, given the onset of WWII. For all intents and purposes, the car was a military jeep with a clever disguise.

During the rod and custom craze after the war, it didn't take long for gearheads to learn that the lightweight and decent handling Willys Americar coupe was perfect for making a hot rod. The idea caught on so well that today it is nearly impossible to find a completely stock example of the original car. Flame jobs, air intakes jutting from hoods, wide tires, mag wheels out the wazoo, but stock? Not so much. After much digging, however, Jimbob found one. Here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1941 Willys Americar coupe 1941 Willys Americar and Another look at the 1941 Willys Americar and Having a gas in a BONE-STOCK WILLYS and Willys Americar - Wikipedia

134 cu. in. Inline-4 cyl., 63 h.p.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KLASSIC KUTIES!

Take long, deep breaths...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAUL'S PATINA!

·
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,084 · (Edited)
Re: Electric Cars

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr... we could warm up to the idea, think of ways to improve it, bask in it, drive it, figure ways to make it more fun, nurture it, and yes, even love it.

Is that even possible? 👀

What Are the Disadvantages of Owning an Electric Car?
  • Electric cars have a shorter range than gas-powered cars
  • Recharging the battery takes too much time
  • They are more expensive than gas-powered cars
  • It is difficult finding a charging station
  • There aren't as many model options
  • It takes oil fed generators to provide electricity for charging stations
  • Electric cars provide no revenue for road maintenance
  • Long distance hauling of goods by large truck would be impossible
  • Electricity can be very dangerous
  • The car's silence makes them dangerous to pedestrians
  • There are enough oil reserves to last well into the next millennium
  • Battery replacement would lead avg. families to bankruptcies
  • Dying by being eaten alive by battery acid after a crash is grisly
  • Batteries can and will explode

hmmm...

·
Premium Member
14,769 Posts
But..but..certain people with certain beliefs will smile at you for "saving the planet". 😒

The Willys? Risking the wrath of Jimbob here...but I really feel it would serve mankind best as a slightly modified (?) drag strip vehicle. Yep! Something that would turn in the 9's or so. ;)

·
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,086 · (Edited)
But..but..certain people with certain beliefs will smile at you for "saving the planet". 😒

The Willys? Risking the wrath of Jimbob here...but I really feel it would serve mankind best as a slightly modified (?) drag strip vehicle. Yep! Something that would turn in the 9's or so. ;)
So, when I sit pinned in agony as the acid slowly eats my flesh away, I can take comfort that the planet is saved? Wow.

The Willys idea? Yep, that is exactly what a gob of gearheads thought too. And why so few stockers remain. Understandable. But still blasphemy. But yeah, a 63 h.p. 4- banger isn't much to get excited about, is it? Different strokes.

Carry on. Wrath witheld.

·
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,087 ·

·
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,089 · (Edited)
A NUGGET OF WISDOM
FROM RODNEY NORMAN!

To which Jimbob replied, "But Rodney, how do we deal with stuff if we have no control over the stuff? And what if it's the stuff that deals with us?"

HmmmMonkey2.jpg

Lo and behold, the wise man has REPLIED to me! With an astounding answer! Here's the whole exchange...
(I feel like Grasshopper with a handful of pebbles now)...

·
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,091 · (Edited)
Good reply from Norman...but sometimes you have to deal with stuff...especially when it's stuck in the vibram soles of your boots.
We both know what to do and I'm sure we both will be out there doing it. No worries. Don't forget what the former NYPD Commissioner said, too. Right now I'm going to eat some cookies and listen to a guy play the accordion, like Rodney suggested. :)

I'm sure that, at one time or the other, I've heard every one of these tunes (I didn't know I was so well-versed on French music!)...

HEY, RODNEY WAS RIGHT! 😀

·
Premium Member
14,769 Posts
Yep..but instead of the accordion, guess I'll watch the hilights of the world pool championships..a major tournament. 3 USA guys still in it...16 players left. I'm still rooting for the kid from South Dakota...

·
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,093 · (Edited)
Yep..but instead of the accordion, guess I'll watch the hilights of the world pool championships..a major tournament. 3 USA guys still in it...16 players left. I'm still rooting for the kid from South Dakota...
Yeah, well, you go on ahead and do that. And eat some cookies! But when it's over, you gotta listen to this guy play. Holy crud, HE'S GOOD on that thing! Meanwhile, I'll be happily posting up a fine new '69 Ford for y'all...

·
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,094 · (Edited)
The Big Kahuna '69 Ford!

While the Torinos were out on the track scarfing up trophies and you and I were wallowing in Mustangs, Joe Businessman wanted something with some zing to get to the golf course on the weekend. And Ford had just the ticket! The Ford Galaxie 500 convertible, when equipped with a snarling 429, did the trick just fine and dandy. Had the pep he wanted and the looks he loved. Joe was a happy camper. Sadly, the big Fords were just too big and heavy to play in any race track games (or reindeer either, for that matter). But, they were what they were and Joe was just fine with letting the air whip his hair into a frenzy and loved feeling that power when he stepped on the gas. So much so that, apparently, Joe bought a set of TorqThrust wheels and an aftermarket tachometer! Here then, is today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1969 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible (shown in "Midnight Aqua")
Hemmings Find of the Day - 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 and 10 Facts & Trivia You Didn't Know About The Ford Galaxie and 1969 Ford (USA) Galaxie 500 Convertible full range specs

I dunno --- I think I would've rolled with black interior. The blue sort of clashes with the "teal" paint, imho...

429 cu. in. "Thunder Jet" V-8, 360 h.p.

The hardtop SportsRoof was no slouch, either...

KLASSIC KUTIES!

PAUL'S PATINA!

POINT OF ORDER...
* The engine pictured above may or may not be a 429. The listing said it's a 460, but the valve covers say 429. On top of that it's obvious there has been some serious modifications done. The question is, why would the guy plop a big Lincoln gas-guzzler into a car that should have a 429? And then, why would he slap on 429 valve covers? Would 429 valve covers even FIT on a 460? I guess we'll never know (unless some smart cookie out there is an expert on ID-ing 429s and 460s). Anyway, I rolled with the engine stats for the engine that SHOULD be there. And now you know.

·
Premium Member
14,769 Posts
Hey, the guys I'm watching play damned good too. ;) Alas, the USA's best player got eliminated by a young pole named Oliver (something unpronounceable). The Polish must have some very good youth pool programs. This kid played very well and extremely smart. He'd twist pool old Shane in knots with his excellent safety play, then shooting only when he knew he has an easy out.

Only Skyler Woodward of Kentucky left of the USA players...so now it's "Go Sky!, go USA!",

Good to know that with a track as wide as a Caddy, that Ford really hugs the road. I'd advise anybody driving one to not try to hang with a '69 'Vette or '69 911S in the twisties tho...or he might find himself hugging a ditch. o_O

Okay...back to pool for me. Check ya later..

·
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,097 ·
If God had not intended for people to run into ditches he wouldn't have created them. All part of His Master Plan...

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
OOPS!!!

·
38,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,099 · (Edited)
Speaking of God's Master Plan, check out these nifty compare and contrast performances...

And now, some young "good ol' boys" give it a twist in the wind...

·
Premium Member
14,769 Posts
First gotta admit..I'm an old time rock n' roll guy. Heavy metal not my bag.

So..I'll go for the country boyz for the one I enjoyed...sorta.

But I'm sort of in mourning now. 4 players left in the tournament. None from the USA, None of them considered truly among the elites...not one ranked in the top 10 world wide. So, with me not betting on any outcome, I find myself rooting for young Oliver, who knocked Shane out. If he wins it all, he'll be the lowest ranked player to win a world title.

41081 - 41100 of 41207 Posts