Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%
41481 - 41500 of 41570 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,481 · (Edited)
Studebaker Pickup finally gets a REAL design change...

The M-Series pickup had served Studebaker well since 1938, and a new design finally arrived in 1955, when the E-Series was introduced. However, compared to the competition the E-Series trucks looked old and tired. The Studebaker Champ (a true change) didn't arrive until 1960. But, by then the cash flow around Studebaker was about as brisk as sorghum molasses plodding along through an old man's veins. This meant Studebaker had to do the new design on the cheap. Some bright cookie in R&D came up with the idea of taking a basic Lark sedan (a very popular Studebaker at the time) and slicing it from the car just behind the front doors. That way, all Studebaker had to design and stamp out was the rear cab panel. As laughable as it sounds, it worked, and worked well. The new "Champ" pickup brought several innovative items into the land of pickups, its smaller size being one of them. Fiberglass service bodies being another. And A/C another. And anyone who likes that sliding rear window glass can thank the boys at Studebaker too, for it was the Champ that was first with it. I could ramble on all day about the truck, but then you would fall asleep and wake up mad at me. So, I'll shut up. Check the links out and become educated, though. There's some interesting nuggets in there. Here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1963 Studebaker Champ long bed Pickup Studebaker M-series truck - Wikipedia and Studebaker E-series truck - Wikipedia and Studebaker Champ - Wikipedia and 6 things you didn't know about Studebaker pickup trucks and The Studebaker Champ: The 1960s American Hyundai Santa Cruz | MotorBiscuit

259 cu. in. V-8, 175 h.p.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KLASSIC KUTIES!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KUTIE'S KLUNKER!

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Hmm. I wonder how well that fiberglass bed worked out? Otherwise..not a bad looking basic pickemup, although I look at the previous body as a classic beauty. Kinda like the first kutie...

All a moot point in Canada, if some get their way:

It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks (readpassage.com)

Reducing further climate destruction and harm from needlessly fatal road accidents is more important than corporate or consumer freedom.
Davide Mastracci

JULY 13, 2021
The world is facing climate catastrophe, but there’s still a chance at avoiding the absolute worst case scenario. In order for that to happen, we need to cut back on GHG emissions.
Canada is one of the largest GHG emitters in the world, and has the second highest emission rate per capita of all G20 countries. As of 2019, the transportation sector was the second largest contributor to Canadian emissions.
Moreover, according to an Équiterre report, “Between 1990 and 2018, total GHG emissions in Canada rose by 20.9 per cent, largely due to transportation. In fact, since 1990, emissions from this sector have increased by 49 per cent and currently account for 30 per cent of Canada’s GHG emissions.”
As such, drastically cutting emissions from the transportation sector is of the utmost importance for a successful climate strategy. One way to help do so is to ban the sale of pickup trucks to all consumers unless they’re able to meet strict requirements to prove it will be used primarily for work purposes.

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,483 ·
Hmm. I wonder how well that fiberglass bed worked out? Otherwise..not a bad looking basic pickemup, although I look at the previous body as a classic beauty. Kinda like the first kutie...

All a moot point in Canada, if some get their way:

It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks (readpassage.com)

Reducing further climate destruction and harm from needlessly fatal road accidents is more important than corporate or consumer freedom.
Davide Mastracci

JULY 13, 2021
The world is facing climate catastrophe, but there’s still a chance at avoiding the absolute worst case scenario. In order for that to happen, we need to cut back on GHG emissions.
Canada is one of the largest GHG emitters in the world, and has the second highest emission rate per capita of all G20 countries. As of 2019, the transportation sector was the second largest contributor to Canadian emissions.
Moreover, according to an Équiterre report, “Between 1990 and 2018, total GHG emissions in Canada rose by 20.9 per cent, largely due to transportation. In fact, since 1990, emissions from this sector have increased by 49 per cent and currently account for 30 per cent of Canada’s GHG emissions.”
As such, drastically cutting emissions from the transportation sector is of the utmost importance for a successful climate strategy. One way to help do so is to ban the sale of pickup trucks to all consumers unless they’re able to meet strict requirements to prove it will be used primarily for work purposes.
That sounds like a crock of bull to me. First of all, the population of Canada isn't even close to the U.S. Hell, they only have ONE superhighway! How could they possibly be a giant polluter? And smokestack industry? Not that much. I ain't buying it. Fake news! I call foul!

As for the fiberglass truck bed? I see visions of cracks. I see mad owners. I see lawsuits.

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,485 · (Edited)
"Sure the bed will crack. But it won't rust."
SHEESH!

I'm sure there was steel underneath and the fiberglass was an early-days "bedliner." That has to be it. Otherwise, Studebaker was run by escaped mental patients.

Wait! I messed up! I misspoke. It was the SERVICE BODIES that were fiberglass! Not the bed. Sheesh! In other words, the special "compartments" like on the side of the above truck. They were fiberglass. Not the bed. I will make the necessary edits to straighten this out. Sheesh!

THERE! Corrected to read "fiberglass service bodies," NOT "beds." Sheesh! (I get in a hurry and let my mouth overload my arse sometimes)... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Hey, obscure automotive facts that matter not a whit in the grand scheme of things aren't really all that important. After all, there are those who enjoy memorizing wheel base measurements, parts numbers and the decoding of VINs...and then there are those who enjoy admiring a well filled pair of short shorts...

Hell, there are books with part numbers and VIN decoding, so no need to memorize, right? Thus, freeing up more time for admiring the callipygian delights of life.

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,489 ·
Hey, obscure automotive facts that matter not a whit in the grand scheme of things aren't really all that important. After all, there are those who enjoy memorizing wheel base measurements, parts numbers and the decoding of VINs...and then there are those who enjoy admiring a well filled pair of short shorts...

Hell, there are books with part numbers and VIN decoding, so no need to memorize, right? Thus, freeing up more time for admiring the callipygian delights of life.
Yes, but what if it's the dreaded "cognitive decline?" Ha! Why should I worry? Just join the dark side, stay in my basement, study up on Karl Marx and run for President, right? I'd be a shoe-in! C'mon, man!

Reactions: pwd72s

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,490 ·

Reactions: pwd72s

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
I dunno Jimbob...maybe I'd like to nominate Shane Van Boening. Just watched a couple of hours of a 10 ball money match...Skyler Woodward vs. Shane. Winner break format. Race to 150 games won over a 3 days period. $50K to the winner. Of course, backers involved...dunno the %age of the split between backers and player. Usually 50% at this level.
So, would you be willing to work for 3 days for say, 25 thou? Nothing if you lose?

I'll kill the suspense...Shane won. The part I just watched was the turning point, methinks. Day 2...score was 62 fames for Shane, 70 for Skyler. Shane then turned weathering the storm of Skyler's play...Skyler broke, no shot on the one, played safe...but left Shane a window. Shane pocketed the one, ran the table...63-70...then Shane won another game, and another, and... Well, the score got to 88-70 before Skyler finally won another one. Shane stayed ahead the rest of the match. Shane went from weathering the storm to being the storm...Impressive! But then, I'm easily impressed...

But then, I don't think either of these guys care about politics...so...hell yeah, you got my vote.

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,492 · (Edited)
I dunno Jimbob...maybe I'd like to nominate Shane Van Boening. Just watched a couple of hours of a 10 ball money match...Skyler Woodward vs. Shane. Winner break format. Race to 150 games won over a 3 days period. $50K to the winner. Of course, backers involved...dunno the %age of the split between backers and player. Usually 50% at this level.
So, would you be willing to work for 3 days for say, 25 thou? Nothing if you lose?

I'll kill the suspense...Shane won. The part I just watched was the turning point, methinks. Day 2...score was 62 fames for Shane, 70 for Skyler. Shane then turned weathering the storm of Skyler's play...Skyler broke, no shot on the one, played safe...but left Shane a window. Shane pocketed the one, ran the table...63-70...then Shane won another game, and another, and... Well, the score got to 88-70 before Skyler finally won another one. Shane stayed ahead the rest of the match. Shane went from weathering the storm to being the storm...Impressive! But then, I'm easily impressed...

But then, I don't think either of these guys care about politics...so...hell yeah, you got my vote.
Atta boy! It would be humiliating to be beaten by Paulsen!

And with that, I say, "Now is the time to act, America! Rise up, oh dead ones! Rise up and cast your vote for a brighter future! Rise up! Fill those mail-in ballots out by the thousands! You owe it to your soul! You owe it to this great nation! You owe it to the slovenly hordes of illegal border-hoppers who have nothing but the custom Jimbob T-shirts on their backs and the Nike Kyrie Irving shoes on their feet!"

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,493 ·
JIMBOB'S BOAT AND BABES!

1958 Edsel Pacer convertible
58Pacer1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
That Edsel ragtop is indeed a boat...wonder how well it would cross the Rio Grande? Vegan Booty? Poor girl. Vegan is an old Cherokee word...means "bad hunter". Guess her man is a bad hunter...

Pat Paulson nailed it!

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,495 · (Edited)
That Edsel ragtop is indeed a boat...wonder how well it would cross the Rio Grande? Vegan Booty? Poor girl. Vegan is an old Cherokee word...means "bad hunter". Guess her man is a bad hunter...

Pat Paulson nailed it!
The Edsel could be made water tight with FlexSeal and fitted with a prop in the rear. The V-8 would have ample power to propel it across Immigrant Alley. Nadda problem. As to the Vegan girl, her decision to subsist on tufu and veggies has helped her maintain a perfect posterior --- had she gone the Big Mac and fries route, we would be looking at ugly flab spread out across a kitchen counter. 'Nuff said.

Pat Paulson was a genius. Take away bullets. Gotta love it! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
SHEESH!

I'm sure there was steel underneath and the fiberglass was an early-days "bedliner." That has to be it. Otherwise, Studebaker was run by escaped mental patients.

Wait! I messed up! I misspoke. It was the SERVICE BODIES that were fiberglass! Not the bed. Sheesh! In other words, the special "compartments" like on the side of the above truck. They were fiberglass. Not the bed. I will make the necessary edits to straighten this out. Sheesh!

THERE! Corrected to read "fiberglass service bodies," NOT "beds." Sheesh! (I get in a hurry and let my mouth overload my arse sometimes)... :rolleyes:

View attachment 81245
Better to have your mouth overload your arse than the reverse. Just sayin'.:)

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,497 ·

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,499 ·
While we're waiting to find Jimbob..(you might check to see if he's ordering another butterburger)...here's some how to start a car instruction I'm sure everybody here needs to know...(edit) Be sure to take notes. You never know when the opportunity might arise..

Monterey 2021—How to Start the 1970 Porsche 917 K - YouTube
Find Jimbob? Wha----? The "ME" in the poster refers to the man holding the giant panties. And that would be Kurt. Jimbob? Have you thought about a cognitive test, Joe?

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,500 · (Edited)
Studebaker's Last Hurrah...

The whole thing started as a "doodle" on the back of an envelope during an airplane flight. Studebaker's new President, Sherwood Egbert had sketched a sports car that he wanted built as soon as possible. The intention was twofold --- one, to compete with Ford's Thunderbird and two, to open people's eyes to Studebaker. It was never produced in large enough numbers to fulfill No. 1, but it certainly did open eyes (a trait which continues to this day). Unfortunately, a decision to farm the work of building the Avanti body to Molded Fiberglass Body of Ashtabula, Ohio (the same firm which had produced the bodies for the first Corvettes) turned out to be a bad idea. Things didn't align properly and holes didn't quite line up, forcing production to come to an abrupt halt. By the time Studebaker closed the doors of its South Bend, Indiana plant for the last time, only 3,834 of the new "Avanti" had been built --- a far cry from the 20,000 Egbert had envisioned.

To say the car was ahead of its time is an understatement. The car was the first American car produced with standard front disc brakes. For safely, it included a built-in roll bar. The car's styling was a given. The 289 cu. in. V-8 produced 240 h.p in its R-1 form and 289 h.p. in the supercharged R-2. The R-2 could launch the Avanti from 0-60 in just 7.5 seconds, which back then was quick. Though several attempts have been made to reproduce the Avanti, it has never achieved the mass production figures it obviously deserved. It will always be remembered as the great car that was just too late. Here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1963 Studebaker Avanti R-2 Studebaker Avanti and 1963-64 Studebaker Avanti History by Dan Jedlicka and The Note in the Trunk of the Last Studebaker Avanti (Published 2014) and Studebaker Avanti - Wikipedia

289 cu. in. superharged R-2 V-8, 289 h.p.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KLASSIC KUTIES!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KURT'S KLUNKER!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS VIDEO!

41481 - 41500 of 41570 Posts