Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%
41501 - 41520 of 41570 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Hey, I was looking for you hidden behind those giant panties. Can'r find a thing to argue about in your Avanti post...Indeed, a car ahead of it's time. Even today, it looks futuristic. As lovely as a kuties behind.

Hey, the olympics are coming up...maybe this will, er, rise your olympics sprit a bit. Hell of a start!

4x100m Mujeres, Final Cto. Madrid Pista 2020 Vallehermoso - YouTube

·
Premium Member
12,873 Posts
AMERICA'S BEST V-8 ENGINE!

All right boys and girls, what's your pick? The Chevy small block? The Ford Y-block? The Oldsmobile Rocket? The Chrysler Hemi? What V-8 do you think was best? Which one stood out above the rest? Which one was the most dependable, the most durable, the most efficient? Which one took a licking and kept on ticking? Come on, which one? If you picked ANY of the above you are dead WRONG! That's right, wrong! The best V-8 ever produced in America was made by.............. [drum roll, please]...............................

View attachment 81185 👀

That's right, Studebaker. READ IT AND WEEP! Link: America's Best V-8 Engine: Studebaker View attachment 81186
I can certainly attest to that. My dad had a 63 Avanti, and once we got our hands on it in the early 70's, it took our abuse, and, pretty much annihilated any muscle car that took us on, all out of a puny 289. That thing could run, though it was freakin squirrely as hell over 100, but we could get it to 145 no problem...on skinny bias ply no less....I can only imagine how contorted those tires got!!
My bros and I got to drive it in our senior yrs...with 4 boys, that car got quite the rep in our area.
Contrary to that article, while the heads were torqued down with all those bolts, each of us blew head gaskets. It was the only thing that would 'break' on that engine...probably cheap gaskets, who knows. With each rebuild came more added performance. By the time of our last build we'd decked the block/heads so much we were running a calculated 14/1, with a moderately hot cam, and ran it on avgas at the track. That engine took a beating and kept on begging for more! While everything else around us was windowing blocks on cast internals.
Man I loved that car!!

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,503 ·
Funniest Leadership Speech Ever!

Reactions: pwd72s

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,504 ·
LIVING PROOF THAT THEY MUST STILL MAKE...

Reactions: pwd72s

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Bill Kirchen knows how to have fun. Problem is..I can remember every tune he played. That means...well, I'm old.

Geritol? Damn..finally read the fine print on the label. "Alcohol 12% by volume". Hmmm. chug-a-lug.

Leadership speech nailed it..."How I disappointed my dad"..

Not all dads were kind enough to give the kids an Avanti to play with...my nominee for best story of the page.

And...that's my review for now...

(edit) But while we're waiting, how 'bout a HO-LEE-FOOK! dash cam video...it begins with a couple chatting as they drive along...but wait for the scream. A youtube comment says the driver, a woman, survived. Damned if I can see how.

What did I just witness? - YouTube

·
Premium Member
12,873 Posts
Hey, I was looking for you hidden behind those giant panties. Can'r find a thing to argue about in your Avanti post...Indeed, a car ahead of it's time. Even today, it looks futuristic. As lovely as a kuties behind.

Hey, the olympics are coming up...maybe this will, er, rise your olympics sprit a bit. Hell of a start!

4x100m Mujeres, Final Cto. Madrid Pista 2020 Vallehermoso - YouTube
The Avanti had a big list of firsts for a production car, and yes, still looks sharp to this day. Front disc's, fully padded interior, roll bar, full Guage instrumentation, aircraft style controls including overhead rockers, one of the first to offer seat belts, a fully selectable 3 spd auto, engines with forged internals, interior access to the trunk, and even a lighted slide out vanity for the pretty gal in the right seat! The cone style door locks came direct from Mercedes Benz, given Studebaker at the time was the North American distributor. It was also the fastest production car holding numerous records. The supercharged 305 ci R2 was capable of 178mph, while the NA 289 R1 could get past 150 (we had it at 145 numerous times), and was one of the very first bottom feeder cooling designs.
Being fiberglass, it required a heavy chassis, lent straight from the Lark...which gave it a very low center of gravity. But as futuristic as the Avanti was, the chassis was pathetically dated, the front end as example was king pin!!! Yes...squirrely at speed!!
One of the major causes of Studebakers demise was the steel strike, where the big 3 got priority over Studebaker. The Avanti, being fiberglass, was a desperation attempt to enable Stude to continue production when lacking for steel. The Avanti could not have been produced with stampings anyway, but, then their glass body provider ended up with major quality control issues and delays...they were screwed from every direction.
About the only difference between a 63 and 64, the 63 had round headlights and an open bottom feeder scoop, the 64 had square headlights and a screened over scoop.

After Stude closed its doors, the Avanti II was birthed, carrying over tooling and workers from the South Bend plant. The noticeable difference between an original and a II is that the Stude had a raked wedge body. The Avanti II however used Chevy engines, which were taller than Studes engines, requiring the II body to loose its rake, raising the bodies front end by 1.5 inch giving it a flatter look, and fatter/ less sleek front end.

·
Premium Member
12,873 Posts
Bill Kirchen knows how to have fun. Problem is..I can remember every tune he played. That means...well, I'm old.

Geritol? Damn..finally read the fine print on the label. "Alcohol 12% by volume". Hmmm. chug-a-lug.

Leadership speech nailed it..."How I disappointed my dad"..

Not all dads were kind enough to give the kids an Avanti to play with...my nominee for best story of the page.

And...that's my review for now...

(edit) But while we're waiting, how 'bout a HO-LEE-FOOK! dash cam video...it begins with a couple chatting as they drive along...but wait for the scream. A youtube comment says the driver, a woman, survived. Damned if I can see how.

Why my Dad trusted us kids, I'll never know...
But, he also raised us to be responsible for our actions, hence, every engine rebuild was on our dime...but...thats also what built our skills/experience.
My eldest bro took out the right front fender of the Avanti...shattered in pieces. He picked them up, and that's how we learned to do fiberglass repair...which...also led to us building our own 17' long fiberglass canoe! It weighed a freakin ton, but, worked! It ended its life as a retaining wall...still there I'm sure.

In the end, my brothers and I ran an auto shop out of my parents garage, doing mechanical, body repair and paint jobs, our fiberglass experience enabled us to repair many a Vette, and we got a rep for building race engines.
My mom was a Saint given all the times we cured hitemp paint in her oven, boiled out carbs on her stove, or rebuilt heads on her kitchen table.

My dad was an original 40's SoCal hotrodder, so I know it did him proud seeing his influences in his boys efforts...yup...he trusted us, but also encouraged and mentored us...I miss that man...

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,508 · (Edited)
About the only difference between a 63 and 64, the 63 had round headlights and an open bottom feeder scoop, the 64 had square headlights and a screened over scoop.
😁

HOLD IT! HOLD IT! JUST HOLD IT!

Not quite true, my friend. Yes, the '64 did have square-ish headlight frames with plexiglass covers, but the headlights inside were still round. (See below)...

A few years ago when I was still driving truck, a restored Avanti passed me out on I-71. Traffic was light on a weekend morning and he was probably on his way to a cruise-in or car show. Anyway, I remember thinking how that car looked like it belonged out there with all the rest of today's cars. Didn't come off as "old" or "dated" in any way. A car before its time, for fudpucking real!

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
(y)(y)Excellent post!!! EXCELLENT:)

Reactions: Jimbob

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,513 ·
Not one comment on this?

Hmmmm.

Oh well, yes..the Avanti was one hellofa car...
Well, largely because I run my big mouth more than anyone else around here, I was staying quiet so some of the other deaf mutes might try to get a word in. But apparently they are more content to sit back and eat popcorn in silence. I saw that vid the other day and it is truly amazing that the goofenheimer lived through it. She was trying to outrun the law at over 100 mph when she hit the hairpin curve in the road. Hence, the Dukes of Hazzard reenactment. Almost became another Charles Darwin Award moment. Lucky idiot.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,514 · (Edited)
It's Going to Suck Anyway...
by
Rodney Norman

-----------------------------------------------------

Great idea, Rodney! I'm working on my business plan right now! Thanks for the tip!

Jimbob's socks eliminate the age-old problem of missing socks forever! Never again will you tear your hair out looking for that missing sock. It doesn't exist! It was never there! Jimbob's Socks are guaranteed to be mated with two completely different socks every time. And remember, who says you can't mix socks? They're YOUR feet! Live a little. Rid yourself of the hassle. Have fun creating new exciting mis-matches! Buy Jimbob's Socks today! ---JimbobsSocks.com ©

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Love rodney! The sock solution? Buy 'em all the same..brand & style. I buy two. White crew socks and dark dressy socks. Have a dozen pairs or so of each. Problem solved. I can now let the aliens steal one now and then.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
This deaf mute apologizes! I missed the YouTube post. It was hilarious as I just listened to it. And didn’t have any popcorn as some “BIG MOUTH“ retired cowboy truck driver accused people of.
There. That’s all I’ve got to post about that.:devilish:

• Haha
Reactions: Jimbob and pwd72s

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,517 · (Edited)
Love rodney! The sock solution? Buy 'em all the same..brand & style. I buy two. White crew socks and dark dressy socks. Have a dozen pairs or so of each. Problem solved. I can now let the aliens steal one now and then.
That's the train I've been on for years, too. But honestly, I'm about sick and tired of white crew socks. I'm beginning to feel like a white crew sock. I'm ready for some pizazz! Ready to expand my sock horizons. I'm so jealous of Pete Hegseth on FOX News. He always has some outlandish socks on!

·
39,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41,518 ·
This deaf mute apologizes! I missed the YouTube post. It was hilarious as I just listened to it. And didn’t have any popcorn as some “BIG MOUTH“ retired cowboy truck driver accused people of.
There. That’s all I’ve got to post about that.:devilish:
A likely story...

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
In my case, the white crew socks serve a medical purpose...to spot blood from any foot injury. Lucky you...obviously haven't been to any HMO diabetes seminars...usually lectures to a bunch of us old geezers given by a bunch of young medical folks...none of it good news, really.

Good lookin' sox and mocs there...damn, miss wearing my mocs. They were so handy to slip on for quick dashes to the yard. Now, I'd just step sideways out of them, thanks to that snapped tendon that makes clutch work a challenge.

Father time...one cruel bastid!

Now on to a "status" question...Rolex, very much a status watch, right? Not really all that rare, since they make thousands of their "superlative chronometers" per year. That means the movements have been tested to be plus or minus only 3-4 seconds per day. Now that is high accuracy for a watch full of springs and gears.

BUT...my Hamilton Khaki King watch in quartz cost me a BUNCH less than any Rolex...and checking it against cell phone time, it's accurate to within 3-4 seconds per month?

So, why, I ask, is a less accurate Rolex considered higher status than a good quartz watch?

I guess the real question I should ask myself is why do I bother watching watch review videos?

This guy, selling his watches out of the greater Cleveland area, is fun to watch.

The Top Watches of 2020 - 18 of My Favorite Watches I Reviewed in 2020 (Affordable to Luxury) - YouTube

·
Premium Member
12,873 Posts
Not one comment on this?

Hmmmm.

Oh well, yes..the Avanti was one hellofa car...
DAMN!!!! just now watching it...
Way more interesting than Jimbobs socks, and probably less stinky too!

As for socks, White crews for me...no issues with trying to match laundry, and old enough not to give a rip if they don't go with what I'm wearing! Well...uhm...so long as I can get out of the house before Tami sees me!!

Instead of comparing socks, maybe we should have a foot contest, post up pics of our old bare feet, the one with the most gnarled ugliest foot wins an all expense paid trip to the Kutie Union Hall for a free foot massage and pedicure from some cute Asian Kutie!

41501 - 41520 of 41570 Posts