Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%
42521 - 42540 of 42685 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42,521 · (Edited)
Well now....your car, your choice. Is there an article saying the idle trick hurts a turbo? I have personally solved any potential problem by not buying a "huffer" engine. A complication I prefer to avoid.

(edit) Confession..did not read the article. They wanted me to either subscribe or delete adblocker.
Here's the deal. Without that turbo, going to the store and back would take as much time as going by horse and buggy. The big trucks I drove have a huge inline-6 that is turbocharged. One night a hose band broke and the big air channel hose slipped off the turbo. Talk about loss of power --- that truck wouldn't get out of its own way! The best I could do all the remaining 20 mi. to the truck stop was 45 mph! So, you can imagine what a sick dog that Equinox would be with that Minnie Mouse 4-banger 1.5L and no turbo. So yeah, I'll huff.

Horse Wheel Sky Vehicle Working animal

·
39,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42,524 ·
JIMBOB'S BOAT AND BABES!

1965 Plymouth Sport Fury III convertible
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

383 cu. in. "Commando" V-8, 330 h.p. (a 318, 230 h.p. and 426 Wedge, 365 h.p. were available engine options as well)
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Gas Auto part

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Motor vehicle

------------------------------------------------------------------------

KLASSIC KUTIES! (the following kuties are from an old '60 Edsel posting. They agreed to appear here again today) :rolleyes:

Hair Lip Smile Eye Snow

Clothing Jeans Lip Leg Snow

Snow Leg Chair Human body Fashion

Swimsuit top Leg Lingerie top People on beach Brassiere

Hair Footwear Hand Shoe Snow

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
15,183 Posts
Here's the deal. Without that turbo, going to the store and back would take as much time as going by horse and buggy. The big trucks I drove have a huge inline-6 that is turbocharged. One night a hose band broke and the big air channel hose slipped off the turbo. Talk about loss of power --- that truck wouldn't get out of its own way! The best I could do all the remaining 20 mi. to the truck stop was 45 mph! So, you can imagine what a sick dog that Equinox would be with that Minnie Mouse 4-banger 1.5L and no turbo. So yeah, I'll huff.

View attachment 83263
And now to the rub with Turbos..you get great MPG while off the boost, but off the boost you can't outdrag a goodyear blimp. Pretty good power on the boost, but MPG? Nothing to brag about... I don't have performance (? maybe not the right word choice here.) specs at hand, but I'm thinking Cindy's 2016 Camry LE, with the base normally aspirated anemic 4 banger might beat your turbo equinox in the quarter while delivering good MPG.

A 426 Max wedge in that mopar ragtop would make it cooler...but guess you can't have everything.

Kutie #2...very pretty. Also, barefoot and pregnant..but barefoot in the snow??? Brrr.

·
39,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42,526 · (Edited)
I'm getting about 26 mpg, mostly just tooling around town on city streets. As for punch --- It'll slam you back so hard you'll have a dent in the back of your head! I've got a dollar that says all you'll see in that Camry is my stylish Equinox taillights. I didn't buy that USA-1 plate for nothing, you know. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
Premium Member
15,183 Posts
Well, if I had Cindy's Camry in Cleveland...her mighty 2.5 liters is rated at (if memory serves) a whopping 175 horsepower.

We wouldn't need to find a dragstrip....no cop would ever believe a street race was going on. 😂

Hmmm. Cindy may have you by a bit in the MPG. Pretty close according to this:
2016 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan Specs and Prices (autoblog.com)

Of course, no 0-60 or 1/4 mile times...pretty understandable, eh? People buy a Camry for the same reasons they buy any appliance.

·
39,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42,528 · (Edited)
HMMM...

Well, if I had Cindy's Camry in Cleveland...her mighty 2.5 liters is rated at (if memory serves) a whopping 175 horsepower.

We wouldn't need to find a dragstrip....no cop would ever believe a street race was going on. 😂

Hmmm. Cindy may have you by a bit in the MPG. Pretty close according to this:
2016 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan Specs and Prices (autoblog.com)

Of course, no 0-60 or 1/4 mile times...pretty understandable, eh? People buy a Camry for the same reasons they buy any appliance.
Gesture Wrinkle Fixture Glass Event

All right, this proves it. I have completely lost my mind. Totally bat-chit crazy. I have this distinct memory of answering this post of Paul's yesterday. Something along the lines of "I've got a dollar that if we race all you'll see is my Equinox taillights." Then, my distinct memory recalls that Paul had even wrote me back, citing mpg numbers and added some his typical spirited mudslinging. So now, you mean to tell me... IT WAS ALL A DREAM?

Hey, maybe what we think are dreams are, in fact, the true reality and all this boring day-to-day "routine" stuff is the true dreams. Or, as my philosophy-brained son just said, "Maybe it's our subconscious exploring parallel universes." (Deep thinker, that boy). I have another theory that would involve resurrecting Don Knotts in his Barney Fife character, but we won't go there. So then, I guess I'll go back and recall the vivid "dream" (or reality, if you prefer) and do this all over again. No. No, I won't. You already got the gist. What I'll do is post the THIRD post of this conversation (that is mysteriously missing two of its exchanges).

Photograph Peaked cap White Military person Black

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #3

Hey Paul, your dollar is in the mail. I researched the comparisons of the Honda CR-V and the Chevy Equinox and the Honda wins on both counts. Slightly better gas mileage and significantly better performance. My Equinox, however, did win the "interior space" segment. So there's that. And the other thing I can say that you can't: MY CAR IS AMERICAN! --JB

Here's the Car and Driver article I read: 2019 Chevrolet Equinox Review, Pricing, and Specs

NOTE: It might comfort you to know that my sister recently bought a Honda CR-V, but I couldn't really find a comparison between the Toyota Camry and my Equinox. So, I compared apples with apples, as it were. Japanese to American, too.

Get this. Just since I posted this and started adding things and editing, the "missing" post I remembered returned. I'm convinced that someone is trying to drive me crazy! o_O It's Post #42,526.

CORRECTION: It was only ONE post that was missing, not two. Obviously, Paul's "answer post" was still here, because THAT was what I just answered here. The one that was missing is the #42,526 post about the dollar bet. And I'm backing away from Barney. Now I'm convinced it was, well...

Dog Jaw Carnivore Snout Event
🥺

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
Hate to tell you JB, but the Equinox is either built in Ingersol Ontario, or Ramos Arirzipe Mexico. Built with parts from all over. So it's kinda "North American." Most of the Camrys sold in the US are made in the US, in Georgetown Kentucky.
So.....

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
Oh, and the Honda CRV is made in Marysville Ohio, just down the road from you JB. The Toyota Rav 4 made in Kentucky and Ontario. So you see, there's no such thing as an "American" car anymore. And, your turbocharger is made by Mitsubishi in Japan. (An excellent unit by the way, liquid cooled and pressure lubricated.) And one more thing, another plant that makes Equinox's is in Wuhan China. (For Chinese use only)

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
And, finally, the two sporty "cars" made in the US are the Mustang and Corvette. There are also some SUV's and pickups also assembled in the US. eg Ford F-150, Expedition. Bottom line: Most manufacturers who retail cars in the US build them in the US, except for the Big Three. My Dodge 1500 was made in Mexico?

·
Premium Member
15,183 Posts
It'll probably NEVER be settled...but this seems to leave Jimbob's equinox with a win on interior space....
AND...there is that USA 1 plate. That shouild be worth a lot...right?

We'll just have to be happy with Mustang and Corvette? Sheesh! As the kids say, it is what it is.

(edit) Rest easy, Jimbob. Cindy wouldn't allow anybody drag racing her grocery getter Camry.
Let's face it..a made in USA '09 Bullitt Mustang vs. a Mexican made Equinox wouldn't be a fair drag race. But you'd still win on MPG, interior space, and that USA1 plate.

Listen to the wisdom of Rodney. Don't sweat the small stuff.

·
39,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42,536 · (Edited)
I'LL GIVE UP MY EQUINOX WHEN YOU PRY MY COLD
DEAD HANDS FROM THE STEERING WHEEL!

Clothing Forehead Nose Cheek Eyebrow

This one is exactly like mine, other than the AWD...
(eat your heart out) :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
15,183 Posts
You'll note that there is no Equinox vs. Camry run in that Drag video. For good reason. Appliance cars deserve a different type of appreciation. In my opinion, they deserve a higher level of appreciation because they serve us well by doing the transportation thing without complaint or high expense. Long may they live.

Also..Rodney nailed it!

42521 - 42540 of 42685 Posts