Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%
44461 - 44480 of 44595 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,766 Posts
That video jogs a memory...of me, just out of High Screwall. early winter of '61, standing outside a closed Chevy dealership on a cold but clear night. There, sitting all alone in a lit up showroom, a brand new '62 Corvette in that lovely Marina Blue. I was maybe a month into my first year of college...I looked and looked, sighing, thinking it was the most gorgeous car on the planet...thinking "someday"...

Funny, never did have a Corvette. Later on, I didn't really want one. But I do have that memory.

·
Premium Member
15,766 Posts
Yeah...but by the time I could afford a new Corvette, I'd discovered this other brand. ;)

Drop dead gorgeous women? Naw...too expensive to maintain, like that other brand. (edit) Meaning, I dated pretty girls during my young years, but drop dead gorgeous? For some reason I can't explain because I'm seldom that logical, I steered clear...I just knew they spelled trouble with a capital T.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44,464 · (Edited)
Sheila's Simca!

All this talk about "gorgeous women" made my mind flash back to the 60s, and to one of the most gorgeous (and spectacularly endowed in the upper half) women of my life. She was a dark-haired cutie with big brown eyes, and points of her own, sittin' way up high. Way up firm and high... (where have I heard that before?). Alas, I digress. Anyway, it seems "her" car (actually, her dad's loaner) was a 1963 Simca Aronde. Having never heard of a Simca before, I was somewhat bewildered by the boxy little French sedan, but when we rolled in it I didn't care. I was with one of the most gorgeous woman I'd ever known. She was not unlike Kutie No. 1 shown below, btw.

The Simca Aronde was offered from 1955-58 in its 1st generation 90A form, then from 1958-64 in its second generation P60 skin. Both were helped along by Chrysler. A new, more powerful "Rush" inline-4 was offered beginning in 1960 --- but before you go getting giddy, understand that "more powerful" meant it went from 40 to 48 horsepower. So... there's that. It wasn't quite the car of my current '63 Corvair Monza at the time, but it did manage to get Sheila and I from Point A to Point B. And on precious little gasoline. And there's that. Here then, is today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1963 Simca Aronde P60 Étoile sedan
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Vehicle Car Land vehicle Window Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Window

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

"Rush" 1290cc Inline-4, 48 h.p.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Wheel

NOTE: Sheila's Simca was black with a white top. Interior was the same as this one.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My "Sheila" look-alike...
Lip Hairstyle Photograph Shoulder Leg

Footwear Joint White Leg Black

Hair Footwear Shoe Photograph White

Lip White Black Flash photography Black-and-white

Smile Shoe Shorts Sky Leg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS VIDEO!

I remember, I remember, I remember, I remember, ohh, oh...

·
40,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44,467 · (Edited)
TORCH? o_O

Oh, it's dim. It not, I'd be with her today, instead of the most remarkable woman ever known to man, and the love of my life!
Eyebrow Flash photography Gesture Smile Black hair

Water People in nature Nature Flash photography Happy

Forehead Face Head Smile Organ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The air cleaner? Probably fond memories of Hudson's trophies that danced in that Simca designer's head...
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And furthermore:

Seger's song should've told you that what Sheila and I had wasn't "love." Far from it. No torches were ever there to begin with.

"
We weren't in love, oh no far from it
We weren't searchin' for some pie in the sky, or summit
We were just young and restless and bored
Livin' by the sword

And we'd steal away every chance we could
To the backroom, to the alley, or the trusty woods
I used her, she used me, but neither one cared
We were gettin' our share..." ---Night Moves

·
Premium Member
15,766 Posts
Still....those memories of the wild monkey sex of youth remain. Seger did describe that in song very well.

More mature love? Yep...without Cindy, I'd have been dead by now. 47 years comin' up soon.

·
40,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44,469 ·
Still....those memories of the wild monkey sex of youth remain. Seger did describe that in song very well.

More mature love? Yep...without Cindy, I'd have been dead by now. 47 years comin' up soon.
Monkey? We were RABBITS!

Dog Comfort Dog breed Felidae Carnivore

·
Premium Member
15,766 Posts
The final lines of the video said it well. 0-60 and 1/4 mile, the '08-'09 Bullitt would more than keep up with any of th ose decades old sleeper chevies. But collecting isn't about pure function...rarity a big factor..and egos. A lot of "I've got this and you can't afford it.". Sigh...

Reina? Well, I'm in love with her voice. A bit scratchy with perfect pitch. Just knocks my socks off...especially when doing a ballad.

Back to collectables...in my old truck carry box, I found an old Craftsman "BE" 3/8" drive ratchet...once belonged to my dad. Very short handle, so not good torque ability. 20 teeth, so a lengthy swing compared to today's ratchets. In other words, not a first choice to actually use. But is it a collectable? You bet! There's lots of youtube videos on just that topic. Through these videos, I learned that dad probably paid around $2,50 for it back sometime between 1939 and 1948. I took it apart, cleaned & lightly oiled it's innards, It still functions well, despite it's pawls showing wear. Dad obviously used it..a lot. Not worth a ton today, but it now sits in the back of my 3/8" rollaway ratchet drawer...Memories, you know...

·
40,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44,480 · (Edited)
I agree with your Bullitt comparison. The first time I "got on it" in my Bullitt, I had a flashback to my '65 GTO 389-3 deuce drop top. Nearly identical on response and acceleration, thought I.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reina. The only thing I wish is that she'd turn her microphone up just a tad. I get flustered trying to hear her sometimes. Reminds me of Alan, a guy I want to strangle on a daily basis, when he appears in that one Ideal Agent commercial. He has a nasty habit of trailing off into "below whisper" low volume on the last words of EVERY sentence he speaks. Listen to this fool! GRRRRRRR!

Chin Jaw Gesture Sky Happy

Reactions: bullit4404
44461 - 44480 of 44595 Posts