Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

What is your favorite era of car on this thread?

• 20s-30s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40s & street rods

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 50s classics

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 60s muscle

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 70s-present

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • foreign & oddities (all years)

Votes: 1 5.9%
45241 - 45260 of 45315 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
41,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45,241 ·
I dunno about that pic, Jimbob. That gang look like they're a bad influence for Pearl.

Kind of a shame none of us won that Billion dollars...Just think of the fun we'd have had finding out we had relatives we'd never heard of.
:ROFLMAO:

Ain't that the truth? I'd have ex's and "long lost" children up to my eyeballs!

I think Pearl gravitated to the Princesses and not so much the gang of thugs. She's a good judge of character. Hey, she picked me, didn't she? 🙄

Reactions: bullit4404

·
41,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45,242 · (Edited)
I got out in July 74. And you think I remember something like that 48 years later!!! Geeez
Okay then, ballpark. Over a grand? Under a grand? If it pays good enough I was thinking of going to flight school and joining up with the USAF. 😵

I ran the checks through a deleaver machine, sorted them by terminal and got things organized for the payroll bags for each terminal back in the early-70s, when I worked in the office of Wilson Freight (early college days). The office kuties stuffed the envelopes and did up the bags (after considerable coaxing). Anyway, even a feeble-minded doughhead like me remembers seeing our Road Drivers made in the mid-$600's per week. So, whatsamatta, you losin' your noodles or sumpin'? 👀
Hand Arm Muscle Table Finger

Forehead Jaw Ear Facial hair Font

Hmmm, that "office memory" reminded me. I wonder who made up and stuffed we office employee's checks? It wasn't us, because that would've put the place into turmoil, with jealous people going out of their minds with all the "so-an-so makes THAT much more than me?" monkey business!

·
41,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45,243 ·
Lest we forget...

It was 39 years ago that history was made. It was the year when people saw the "moon walk" for the very first time. Let's revisit that moment in time...

·
41,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45,244 · (Edited)
A new Pony to stem the tide...

By 1970 muscle madness was in full swing, Ford Falcon was becoming yesterday's news and Mustang was holding its own. But there was trouble brewing from around the globe --- in regards to small, lost cost, economical cars, that is. VW was still busily gnawing at domestic sales, but from the other side of the world Japan was starting to slice into sales with its Datsun B210, Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. Ford decided the time was right for a new car to replace the sagging Falcon and take on this foreign competition head-on. The move worked, as Maverick took off like a grass fire, selling 127,833 cars its first year, beating out the Mustang first year sales by over 1,000.

Ford introduced the new Maverick in April 1970, equipped with a choice of two gas-sipping 6-bangers. It was good for most people, but those wanting a bit more performance were yearning for a bigger motor. Ford heard the groans and for 1971 dropped a 302 under the hood, slapped on a few stripes and called it a Maverick "Grabber." It was well-received. More groans followed, though, as only a 3-speed standard shift was offered. It took a while, but Ford finally fixed that in 1974, with a 4-speed. Some had groaned for more power, but Ford upped the horsepower to 220 and improved the cars handling with a stiffer suspension in 1973. It was better, but for some, not good enough. Nor would it ever be. The Maverick continued through 1976 and was dropped. Here's today's...

RANDOM CLASSIC!

1972 Ford Maverick Grabber
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/11/20/gone-but-not-forgotten-fords-maverick-turns-50 and A Detailed Look Back At The Original Ford Maverick and Detailed specs review of 1972 Ford Maverick Grabber 302 V-8 offered since September 1971 for North America U.S.
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

302 cu. in. V-8, 143 h.p.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KLASSIC KUTIES! (Special "Peek-a-Boob" Edition!)

Clothing Water Glasses Swimsuit top Sky

Photograph Peaked cap White Military person Black
Hair Joint Lip Outerwear Shoulder

Face Joint Stomach Shoulder Undershirt

Joint Shoulder Arm White Leg

Hair Joint Lingerie top Muscle Swimsuit top

·
41,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45,246 · (Edited)
My Mom had a Maverick. Maybe a '74? 302 2 barrel automatic. The Ford ad was right..it was reliable. To say fun to drive? Well, it was reliable.

Ah, Number 3. Good choice!

I dreamed I was playing soccer and No. 2 was on the opposing team. I was bouncing the ball off my head every time. The other guys screamed at me to use my feet, but I kept using my head. And then... and then I woke up.

A guy down the road always has a few of those Mavericks. Right now he has a red one and a white one with cool stripes on the side. I stopped and looked at one of them one day. It looked good from the street. And it was pretty straight. No rust. But I peeked inside the window and my blood went cold at wires hanging out all over the dash. Big rips in the seats. It needed some help. I asked him how much and he said $10,500.00. I thanked him and walked away. Nice unrestored straight ones are online for $7,000 every day of the week. Here's one example that is a lot like the ones the "guy down the road" has...

Guy down the road = Rip Off Artist
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
41,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45,248 · (Edited)
Life beyond death! (Vida além da morte!)

It turns out there is life after death. Yesterday, a car proved it. Here's what happened. During my research putting together the '72 Maverick posting, I came across a writer that mentioned "Maverick's 9-year run through 1979." I thought the guy had made a typo. That, or he wrote the story standing on his head and mistook a 9 for a 6. Today, I learned that the writer had been right. While it's true the Maverick died here in the U.S. after the '77 model year, it lived on via Ford Brasil. Indeed, it lived on for two more years! Apparently, in Brazil economy trumps performance. This one is powered by a 4-cylinder engine. As my big sister would always say, "How do you like them apples?" And now we know. Here then, is one of the truly last Ford Mavericks. A Brazilian!

1979 Ford Mavierick (Brasil) CC Global: Brazilian Maverick – From Deception to Passion and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Brasil and CC Global: Brazilian Maverick – From Deception to Passion
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Vehicle Car Gear shift Window Motor vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Trans. from Portuguese: "If you prefer it elegant, easy to handle and by your side for many years..."
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Trans. from Portuguese: "A car that fights routine and high maintenance costs.
Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car Wheel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KLASSIC KUTIES! (Brazilian Edition)

Swimsuit top Shoulder Lingerie top Brassiere Swimwear

Hair Water Swimsuit top Leg Lingerie top

Footwear Hair Joint Hand Shoe

Water Swimsuit top Shoulder Leg Swimwear

As meninas brasileiras têm bundas bonitas! ("Brazilian girls have nice butts!")
Hair Water Smile Swimsuit top Lingerie top

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS BRAZILIAN KUTIE!

Hair Water Joint Swimsuit top Muscle

·
41,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45,250 · (Edited)
You inadvertently conjured another Jimbob memory. Our little trio played a gig in downtown Cincy, where we played this song over and over and over, for over an hour. And we each made $200 for doing it! It was a fashion show. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Here's pretty much the way we played it (our lead guitarist, like this guy, was lights out good)...

·
41,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45,255 · (Edited)
Soon as I read "Hybrid"...I quit reading. They should call it "prius with a bed".
Ah, but it's the NAME! The name, man! Hybrid schmybrid, ya gotta think about the NAME! Wuttsa matta you?

And besides, you don't HAVE to get the hybrid. That's just one offering. You can get a straight gas one. Sheesh! Wake up! No, no don't! That would make you "woke," and we don't want THAT! 👀

Seriously, what's so bad about having an electric assist to a 2.5 L supercharged I-4, that charges the batteries as it runs, alternates between the two for optimum power and economy and delivers 40 mpg City? Huh? What's so wrong about that? At least you don't have that stinking "Oh chit, I forgot to charge the battery!" monkey business as with a full EV.

(edit) My bad. I was wrong. You CANNOT get a straight gas powered Maverick. They're all hybrid. Sorry. But 42 mpg City/ 33 mpg Hwy and 0-60 in 5.5 sec.? Doesn't sound bad to me.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Jaw Mode of transport Tire
Outerwear Vertebrate Cap Mammal Headgear

Reactions: FarmerDon

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
You can get a 2.0 L turbo with AWD in the Maverick. The seats are not real comfy though, a little hard .Cute little truck, based on the Escape chassis.

·
41,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45,258 · (Edited)
I STAND CORRECTED...

You can get a 2.0 L turbo with AWD in the Maverick. The seats are not real comfy though, a little hard .Cute little truck, based on the Escape chassis.
You can? I thought I read that someplace yesterday, but when I went to the Ford site they didn't say a thing about it --- just harped on and on about the hybrid. Ford site said: "Sorry, due to high demand we are no longer taking orders for the Maverick." It's going to be a hot seller, no doubt! I like it, even with the hybrid set-up. Quicker, better mileage --- what's not to like about that? Next time I get rich maybe I'll trade the Equinox in on one. Ya never know... (but I'd run the risk of Pearl hitting me in the head with a fry pan).

Here's a comment stating that a gas AWD Maverick is available with a 250-hp, turbo four-cylinder, just like you said...
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
Buy what you want folks. Guess I shoulda just shut up on this one. Yeah...I do wonder why Ford didn't bring the Ranger name back, but seems like it's all a moot point now anyway.

It does show there's a demand out there for a truly small pickup. Is Toyota listening?

45241 - 45260 of 45315 Posts