Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
This has been brought up before and there are some interesting possibilities out there. As we all know, the original Bullitt from the movie had no scoop but rather a "Reverse" scoop built into the hood. The only 2 I've seen that are close to approximating that are the new Cobra hood and I think it was a Saleen or Steeda hood built in the same manner. Personally. I love the big azz scoop on our cars. Functional or not it reminds me of my favorite Mustang, the 69 Boss 429. But regardless of what people will tell you.. It's your car and you should do whatever makes you happiest with it. Will it effect resale? Most likely.. but only to purists or collectors. The thought of resale of my car has never entered my mind. I have no intentions of EVER getting rid of my Bullitt. This is the mustang I fell in love with and I plan on being buried in it! :smile:
Have fun and let us know what you decide to do!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-09-17 17:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
Had I been working at Ford, I would have put the Cobra hood on the Bullitt. The scoop is ok, but my complaint is the weight of that hood; it should be at least 25 pounds lighter. I mess with old British cars and Porsches, and what makes a car valuable down the road is originality. Not just purists, EVERYBODY wants a collector car to be as it left the factory, at least appearance wise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really wish the scoop did something. It's downright embarrassing having to answer the "Is that thing functional?" question. Wish there was an easy mod so I could truthfully answer "yes."

·
Registered
121 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-17 18:23, chud wrote:
I really wish the scoop did something. It's downright embarrassing having to answer the "Is that thing functional?" question. Wish there was an easy mod so I could truthfully answer "yes."
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a pretty good bug collector... Prevents bugs from hitting the windshield. :roll:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Chud:

I had the same complaint about my non-functional scoop. I've read a few links regarding some kits for an air induction system (ie. Ram Air) that seem to fit quite nicely in the factory scoop. These kits appear to be rather inexpensive and entail a fairly simple installation. Just wondering if anyone has tried this mod yet and what their success was with it, if any.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
I've read a few links regarding some kits for an air induction system (ie. Ram Air) that seem to fit quite nicely in the factory scoop. These kits appear to be rather inexpensive and entail a fairly simple installation. Just wondering if anyone has tried this mod yet and what their success was with it, if any.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The problem with fitting a Ram Air system up to our intakes is that the air path gets diverted down towards the fenderwell, into the air filter & back up to the intake, which really isn't "ramming" the air into the engine. Look at the Banshee or Kar Kraft system & you'll see what I mean. True Ram Air dumps air directly into the intake without diverting the flow.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have to say I'm not real crazy about the plastic scoop myself. It would be nice if it was either functional or tucked down into the hood. I mean, it does give it a meea look, but since it's not even practical to make it functional... Besides the usless honeycomb design, has anyone figured out a way to get the bugs out of there????

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the input on the Ram Air. Something I didn't think about, probably just better off getting a K&N or densecharger. Still upsetting to have a big ass scoop with no functionality. I would like to reserve the phrase "all show and no go" for ricers, but can't help applying it in this context.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beefmd on 2001-09-18 12:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would never consider removing my scoop, it is one of my favorite parts of the Bullitt. It is also the main reason that I didn't want a Cobra. Looking out over that huge scoop time-shifts me back to 1979 and looking out over the shaker scoop on my '77 Trans Am. I also think it looks menacing to someone when you approach rapidly in their rear-view mirror... :bullitt:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Regarding the serpentine air path for ram air hood scoop kits...

Remember that we already have a serpentine path. You are always, with few exceptions, going to have a serpentine path. So you are always going to have to move air through that convoluted induction path. Period.

Now what do you think is going to work better: just sucking the air through or both sucking and pushing? If the air pressure is significantly higher at the hood scoop mouth than the current air box intake then you are going to get a benefit. The path with the scoop is not that indirect.

As to the system complexity... the vacume operated doors are pretty darn simple compared to the rest of the systems on our cars. How much can go wrong with electronic ignition/fuel injection/computer controls? I think it is a pretty good tradeoff to lower noise under general conditions and get the power boost when it is needed.

Of course the real test is before/after comparisons and you cannot get those in the usual "stick it on a dyno" manner. Thus we will never really know the power boost. It might be possible to figure out if someone did a road comparison of 2000 RPM to 4000 RPM in fourth gear and then did some math magic.

I would like to tape a hose up there some time and go measure the pressure and see if there is anything there to ram air with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
CDC is making a special Shaker hod just for the Bullitt and not only is it functional but will be supercharger compatable early fall it should be out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I see your point about the ram air, and I think you are probably right. All things being equal, any + pressure on the inlet side is going to make SOME difference, even if it is not quantifiable. However, it's not hard to imagine a system which is more restrictive than the stock system, adding up to a net loss. (Pretend your ram air was the diameter of a dixie cup, for example.)
But under one condition I wouldn't really care about GAINS per se... (rubs hands evilly) :smile:

Functional ram air with the stock scoop... Ahhh, let me just sit back and picture that for a second!

(1 second goes by)

Man that would be GREAT! If there's one thing I'm bashful about re: the Bullitt, it's the fake scoop! Love the look, hate that it is fake!

Even if gains weren't quantifiable, if it could even be shown not to LOSE any ground to the stock setup, I'd be on that like stink on poop!

A hood scoop that is there FOR something... it's almost too incredible to imagine... :smile:

And while we're at it, lets make the imaginary functional scoop a conversion kit that cost less than $200, is a DIY installation taking about 2 hours at most, and yields professional looking, attractive results!

A man can dream, can't he?

Joe

Dark Highland Green #1934
Bone Stock
The Rice won't pull up next to me at a light! I swear!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-10-05 19:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
153 Posts
Forgive my ignorance Who or What is CDC and do they have a website. The only CDC that I know of is The Center for Disease Control and I'm sure they don't make Mustang parts.BlackBullitt#1768

·
Registered
959 Posts
During my track session on Sunday, I was hitting around 120 to 125 on the straight and got a LOT of hood flutter. Makes me kind of nervous what the hood is going to d at 150.. :eek: I am sure the scoop is contributing to this and I realize the car is really a flying brick aerodynamically.

Guess we'll just have to see.. :smile:Brian

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine is essentially silent at 130 except for the exhaust and turbulent air around the body of the car. No shakes shimmies vibrations, etc that I can tell. You might want to check that everything is solidly mounted...

Joe

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Flying brick? I thought the Bullitt's drag coeff. (Cd) was 0.36...Isn't that a pretty good number? Not being sarcastic...I really would like to know. Seemed pretty slippery to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts