Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe there is an opportunity for those of us who would like a spare tire kit in the trunk rather than the fix-a-flat/inflator arrangement. Over on the Mustang6g forum, there is a thread for '15+ owners that wanted to have a tire. See this thread here for the discussion.

It seems that someone has been inventive and put something together for a wheel and tire. It appears you could then order Ford's compact jack and components to secure them I would seriously consider this for peace of mind. What do others think? Is this something where a group order might be beneficial?

And if you think this is too early, well, I've got a lot of time to think about this since these cars won't be here for awhile :)

·
Administrator
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, since the '19 will have a Torsen differential in the rear, it is important for the diameter of the wheel and tire to match up with the overall OEM spec. It's nice to have your ABS work as well!

·
Car Whisperer
21,387 Posts
makes alot of sense. I would think they would offer a volume discount to a club. i won't be getting one of the 19's but certainly think all on here who are, should seriously consider this. well worth the investment IMO.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
How many flats have you guys had? I suffered the disgrace of a flat on my 94 F-150 in 1995. Nothing since in what I estimate to be about 1.5 million miles and over 20 years of driving. I also am of the age that changing a flat is getting outside of my wheelhouse. Maybe not really, I exaggerate. But should I buy, and drive 15 or later Mustang whether or not it's a Bullitt. I should think a roll off truck would be on order should the fix a flat be insufficient.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd consider this. I've only gotten 1 flat in the past 11 years of driving and it was a tire that somehow went flat in the driveway. New Fords do come with 2 years of free roadside assistance but I'd be interested in this just for peace of mind if I was far away from home and needed to limp the car closer before calling a tow. If there's a volume or club discount that would be nice too, otherwise I'd hold off on ordering this until the summer. Thanks for sharing this Tony, didn't know a solution like this existed.

·
Administrator
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many flats have you guys had? I suffered the disgrace of a flat on my 94 F-150 in 1995. Nothing since in what I estimate to be about 1.5 million miles and over 20 years of driving. I also am of the age that changing a flat is getting outside of my wheelhouse. Maybe not really, I exaggerate. But should I buy, and drive 15 or later Mustang whether or not it's a Bullitt. I should think a roll off truck would be on order should the fix a flat be insufficient.
Had one in my '15 GT not long ago in my own driveway! It's the doggone road debris that makes it more likely around town to pick up nails or screws. In fact, I've had 1 for the last 3 Mustangs I've driven, all for the same reason.

Roadside assistance aside, I do think people find it desirable to have a backup, especially if you are less than enthralled with goop.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
While we are into flat tires............what was the ultimate solution for the 2008/2009 models?

BTW............not looking for...........don't drive it or join an auto club or trade it on a F-150 or .............

Thanks.........

ARMY TC

·
Administrator
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While we are into flat tires............what was the ultimate solution for the 2008/2009 models?

BTW............not looking for...........don't drive it or join an auto club or trade it on a F-150 or .............

Thanks.........

ARMY TC
People were buying the Ford part CR3Z-1K007A "Mustang Mini Spare Kit" or even going with a fullsize set-up. See here.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
For those without a spare, the Roadside service will not be of much assistance. I called Ford Roadside Service several years ago. What I was told, if you do not have a spare, they will tow your vehicle to a repair shop. What will happen to the passengers (wife, kids, etc)? The driver will drop them off in a safe location as defined by the driver. What happens at night, weekend, holidays were no service close by, is open. Vehicle will be dropped off at the service center to be repaired when they are next open.

All this due to lack of a simple "mini" spare. That is why I will never drive off the lot until the spare is in place.

Reactions: VIC-TIM

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Had one in my '15 GT not long ago in my own driveway! It's the doggone road debris that makes it more likely around town to pick up nails or screws. In fact, I've had 1 for the last 3 Mustangs I've driven, all for the same reason.

Roadside assistance aside, I do think people find it desirable to have a backup, especially if you are less than enthralled with goop.
I under quoted our experience. I had an inherited minivan.......from hell. It is a Honda Oddity. If something could go wrong, it would. I don't know about all the rest of the world's experience with Hondas. But ours was bad. I'll walk if they are the only car maker in the future. Included in the negative is two flats. Honda in their wisdom placed the spare in the center of the floor behind the front seats. I suppose that's the best place their minds could come up with, and the tire is clean, which is more than I can say about the spare placement on pickups. The spare is tiny, and slightly less difficult than impossible to get to when needed. A goop solution would have been better:surprise:. I needed to reinflate the tire to use it. You need a mini pump to do that.:|

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Tony,

Thanks for the link on the info on spares for 08/09 models!

I'm still pondering a new BULLITT or a nice 08/09. I want to be prepared for either possibility.

Right now, with 3-5 inches of snow/freezing rain, etc. coming in Western PA, a car is still a few months away.

ARMY TC

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts

Thanks.........

ARMY TC
Full size spare on Bullitt wheel in my trunk. It fits in the spare tire well. Also my 2 ton jack in a case. Full size spare makes the trunk floor sit up a bit but not enough to bother me.

·
Premium Member
13,824 Posts
I know a regular factory 18 inch wheel on a tire (235 wide) fits in the spare well area of the S550, but it's not deep enough so the carpet covering sticks up an inch or two.
Is the tire fully inflated, or any miles on the tire? I know that was one of two ways to get the S197 full-size Bullitt spare in, and it too is taller than the well.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I for one would want a spare if I get the '19 Bullitt. I had a flat with my '13 SHO which has the air pump/goop & no spare. I tried to use it, drove 15 miles and it was going flat again. Tried the goop again and heard hissing. Then I saw the goop coming out of the inner sidewall. That stuff will work on a puncture, but not a split sidewall. So I was stuck. Had to have it flat towed to the tire shop. This was all at 10pm on a Sunday. Very inconvenient and would not make me happy if my wife had been using the car and alone. Based on my experience (even though I can't remember the last flat before that I've had) I would want the reassurance of having a spare to slap on so I could still drive.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I am an old Boy Scout, instilled with the motto "Be Prepared". A true DRIVER needs to have Plan A, B, ... before resorting to calling for HELP, sitting idle roadside and being subject to the whims of the failure gods.

Confronted with the goo pump, which is a good air compressor, an early mod was a compact spare and OEM scissor jack, along with an expanding tire iron (leverage). The compact spare should only go on the front, due to slight lesser height difference vs limited slip rear axle. Then upgraded to a full size spare. Thick plywood boards cut to fit, to keep the trunk mat level and provide a jacking surface. And a supplemental can of SLIME, as the goo is many years expired. Along with a tire plug kit, which is easy to use, to replace the nail/screw that started the incident. Decent tire pressure guage. All fits in the trunk tire well.

So I can handle 2 flats at once; one minor, one major. Used the full spare tire at 2017 Bullitt Nats, after picking up a screw between Chicago and Detroit. Stayed mobile until Costco free overnighted a replacement tire at half price (warranty).

Failure to properly plan and equip does not constitute an emergency for others. At least put a thick unread book into the spare tyre well...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.